ntfs and ext3 - Linux

This is a discussion on ntfs and ext3 - Linux ; I have a computer now a newer one that has a 200 GB HD. Now the entire drive can be formatted with NTFS but when I wanted to format that space with ext3 there were problems. Can ext3 handle 200 ...

  1. ntfs and ext3

    I have a computer now a newer one that has a 200 GB HD. Now the entire
    drive can be formatted with NTFS but when I wanted to format that space with
    ext3 there were problems. Can ext3 handle 200 or so GB of HD space?

    Bill

  2. Re: ntfs and ext3

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > I have a computer now a newer one that has a 200 GB HD. Now the entire
    > drive can be formatted with NTFS but when I wanted to format that space
    > with ext3 there were problems. Can ext3 handle 200 or so GB of HD space?

    Can you tell us what problems there were?

    --
    Ruurd
    ..o.

  3. Re: ntfs and ext3

    > Can you tell us what problems there were?
    >
    > --
    > Ruurd
    > .o.
    > ..o
    > ooo

    I wanted topartition off about 10 GB for an ext3 partition. And RH 9
    didn't seem to want to do it. I was going to put grub into that partition.
    Maybe the software wasn't designed to do what I wanted.

    Bill

  4. Re: ntfs and ext3

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    >> Can you tell us what problems there were?

    > I wanted topartition off about 10 GB for an ext3 partition. And RH 9
    > didn't seem to want to do it. I was going to put grub into that partition.
    > Maybe the software wasn't designed to do what I wanted.

    And what was the error message? And from what kind of partition were you
    trying to steal 10G??? And 10G just to sore GRUB?

    --
    Ruurd
    ..o.

  5. Re: ntfs and ext3

    > And what was the error message? And from what kind of partition were you
    > trying to steal 10G??? And 10G just to sore GRUB?
    >
    > --
    > Ruurd

    From NTFS. I was going to put GRUB into the first sector for the ext3
    partition.

    Bill

  6. Re: ntfs and ext3

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > From NTFS. I was going to put GRUB into the first sector for the ext3
    > partition.

    Will it go on the Master Boot Sector ?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  7. Re: ntfs and ext3

    > Will it go on the Master Boot Sector ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    Quite probably. I need to go into fdisk. Linux's fdisk. The most
    powerful fdisk I've come across yet. I don't know if it resizes partitions
    or not though.

    Bill

  8. Re: ntfs and ext3

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > Quite probably. I need to go into fdisk. Linux's fdisk. The most
    > powerful fdisk I've come across yet. I don't know if it resizes partitions
    > or not though.

    I thought the drive was already partitioned.

    If not, then you can create /boot (32Mb) at the beginning of the disk. This
    will probably cure any problems you have with hard drive size.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  9. Re: ntfs and ext3

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Bill Cunningham belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Quite probably. I need to go into fdisk. Linux's fdisk. The most
    > powerful fdisk I've come across yet. I don't know if it resizes partitions
    > or not though.

    Also check out cfdisk, parted, and sfdisk.

    --
    Treat yourself to the devices, applications, and services running on the
    GNU/Linux® operating system!

  10. Re: ntfs and ext3

    > If not, then you can create /boot (32Mb) at the beginning of the disk.

    This
    > will probably cure any problems you have with hard drive size.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    Not quite sure what you mean here. The boot directory tree off of / ?

    Bill

  11. Re: ntfs and ext3

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:31:02 GMT, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    >> If not, then you can create /boot (32Mb) at the beginning of the disk.

    > This
    >> will probably cure any problems you have with hard drive size.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Mark.

    > Not quite sure what you mean here. The boot directory tree off of / ?

    No, it would be a seperate /boot partition.

  12. Re: ntfs and ext3

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > No, it would be a seperate /boot partition.

    You would create a partition of 32Mb using Fdisk, or whatever tool you use to
    partition, right at the beginning of the drive. You would set it's mount point
    to /boot.

    The files in your existing /boot would then be installed in your new
    partition.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --