What happened with RH ? - Linux

This is a discussion on What happened with RH ? - Linux ; I have RH 9.0 and 7.0. I like them pretty well of course 7.0 is way out of date. I don't know if 9.0 will support my new AMD 64 fully or not. It may be a 32 bit OS. ...

  1. What happened with RH ?

    I have RH 9.0 and 7.0. I like them pretty well of course 7.0 is way out
    of date. I don't know if 9.0 will support my new AMD 64 fully or not. It may
    be a 32 bit OS.
    Anyway I can't find it anywhere. Now there's this Fedora thing. Is this
    RH linux? What's going on?

    Bill

  2. Re: What happened with RH ?

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 05:26:34 +0000, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > Anyway I can't find it anywhere. Now there's this Fedora thing.

    Fedora is the community supported, freely available version of linux
    provided by Redhat. They also have an enterprise version that they
    sell for big bucks.

    I'm a Debian and Ubuntu user myself, but Fedora
    seems to be very popular.

    Dan

  3. Re: What happened with RH ?

    > I'm a Debian and Ubuntu user myself, but Fedora
    > seems to be very popular.
    >
    > Dan

    Now with Debian I have trouble getting aptitude to work sometimes. I've
    only burned the network install version. Never heard of Ubuntu. Slackware
    they say is most UNIX like.

    Bill

  4. Re: What happened with RH ?

    If you are using Latest debian version unstable or sarge aptitude should
    work fine. Check to make sure you have /etc/apt/sources.list configured
    properly. Providing more info on what the trouble is will help others
    help you. Usually it is the case of some thing being misconfigured.
    Debian Stable is a rock solid distribution that undergoes more extensive
    testing than any other distro and you shouldn't find a core package like
    apt break that bad.
    bt

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 19:24:25 GMT, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    >> I'm a Debian and Ubuntu user myself, but Fedora
    >> seems to be very popular.
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Now with Debian I have trouble getting aptitude to work sometimes. I've
    > only burned the network install version. Never heard of Ubuntu. Slackware
    > they say is most UNIX like.
    >
    > Bill

  5. Re: What happened with RH ?

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > Now with Debian I have trouble getting aptitude to work sometimes. I've
    > only burned the network install version. Never heard of Ubuntu. Slackware
    > they say is most UNIX like.

    I don't like the feel of aptitude. I use dselect here.

    I used to use Redhat, but now I use Debian.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  6. Re: What happened with RH ?

    > I don't like the feel of aptitude. I use dselect here.
    >
    > I used to use Redhat, but now I use Debian.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    I don't like the look of Debian's prompt. In RH which I am used to you
    type bash or sh to get into bash. It seems like your in bash as soon as you
    log in with Sarge.

    Bill

  7. Re: What happened with RH ?

    "B Thomas" wrote in message
    news:6UU3f.33128$Hs.21241@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com.. .
    > If you are using Latest debian version unstable or sarge aptitude should
    > work fine. Check to make sure you have /etc/apt/sources.list configured
    > properly. Providing more info on what the trouble is will help others
    > help you. Usually it is the case of some thing being misconfigured.
    > Debian Stable is a rock solid distribution that undergoes more extensive
    > testing than any other distro and you shouldn't find a core package like
    > apt break that bad.
    > bt

    I use Sarge. There's a couple of other commands called get-apt and
    get-apt dist-upgrade I don't know wether to use them or not.

    Bill

  8. Re: What happened with RH ?

    Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >>I don't like the feel of aptitude. I use dselect here.
    >>
    >>I used to use Redhat, but now I use Debian.

    > I don't like the look of Debian's prompt. In RH which
    > I am used to you type bash or sh to get into bash. It
    > seems like your in bash as soon as you log in with
    > Sarge.

    When you login to RH the prompt that you see is bash. When
    you type bash you only start a shell under your login shell!

    Type 'chsh' after you login to see your current shell.

    If you don't like the prompt, change it!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  9. Re: What happened with RH ?

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > I don't like the look of Debian's prompt. In RH which I am used to you
    > type bash or sh to get into bash. It seems like your in bash as soon as you
    > log in with Sarge.

    I have noticed that there is an option to choose Ash (Dash) on Debian Etch
    (Testing), but don't install Testing. The package database keeps screwing up !!

    There are a couple of things that you can do:

    Change the symlink /bin/sh to a shell of your choice

    Update /etc/passwd and change the default shell for your username.

    Debian will start in graphical mode, like Redhat, if you like.

    Install either xdm or gdm for a graphical login prompt.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  10. Re: What happened with RH ?

    > There are a couple of things that you can do:
    >
    > Change the symlink /bin/sh to a shell of your choice
    >
    > Update /etc/passwd and change the default shell for your username.
    >
    > Debian will start in graphical mode, like Redhat, if you like.
    >
    > Install either xdm or gdm for a graphical login prompt.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    See the thing is I don't want to run a shell. If I did I'd type bash or
    sh. I don't do shell programming. How do you get out of Debian's shell?

    Bill

  11. Re: What happened with RH ?

    Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >>There are a couple of things that you can do:
    >>
    >>Change the symlink /bin/sh to a shell of your choice
    >>
    >>Update /etc/passwd and change the default shell for your username.
    >>
    >>Debian will start in graphical mode, like Redhat, if you like.
    >>
    >>Install either xdm or gdm for a graphical login prompt.

    > See the thing is I don't want to run a shell. If I did
    > I'd type bash or sh. I don't do shell programming. How
    > do you get out of Debian's shell?

    Get out of it to what? Everything runs under a shell! The
    shell is what takes your commands and runs them. Are you
    looking for a GUI?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  12. Re: What happened with RH ?

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > See the thing is I don't want to run a shell. If I did I'd type bash or
    > sh. I don't do shell programming. How do you get out of Debian's shell?

    As I say, install gdm.

    You will not see a shell any more.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  13. Re: What happened with RH ?

    > Get out of it to what? Everything runs under a shell! The
    > shell is what takes your commands and runs them. Are you
    > looking for a GUI?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I know in red hat if you type help it won't show you shell options. In
    Debian it does. BTW do you have a brother named "Enlil" ?

    Bill

  14. Re: What happened with RH ?

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 01:36:10 +0000, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > I use Sarge. There's a couple of other commands called get-apt and
    > get-apt dist-upgrade I don't know wether to use them or not.

    apt-get works fine. It's all I use for getting software packages.

    Dan

+ Reply to Thread