Installing software - please help! (also in alt.os.linux) - Linux

This is a discussion on Installing software - please help! (also in alt.os.linux) - Linux ; I wonder if you can help me. I am new to Linux and am struggling to install new software. I have Mandriva 10.2 installed on my Desktop PC and Fedora Core 4 installed on my laptop. In Mandriva 10.2 there ...

  1. Installing software - please help! (also in alt.os.linux)

    I wonder if you can help me. I am new to Linux and am struggling to install
    new software.

    I have Mandriva 10.2 installed on my Desktop PC and Fedora Core 4 installed
    on my laptop.

    In Mandriva 10.2 there is a game called Frozen Bubble and I enjoy playing it
    while I am waiting for something else to finish. So I thought it would be
    nice to have it on my laptop in FC4.

    I found the website for Frozen Bubble (http://www.frozen-bubble.org/) I
    clicked on download and then clicked on the link listed for Red Hat Linux
    packages courtesy Freshrpms (http://freshrpms.net/rpm/frozen-bubble) but
    after a few seconds it said it needed other files; I think it was Perl-SDL
    that it needed, I looked for what I think was the correct file but when I
    tried it it said it needed other files.
    I had no idea where to get the needed files and by this point I was quite
    frustrated & confused.

    So I decided to try and install something else which was part of FC4. I went
    to 'Add/Remove programs' and in the development section I put a tick in the
    box for 'Development tools' (I did this as it said Perl was part of this
    package). However, when I tried the installation it displayed the following
    message :-

    Packages not found

    Unlocated package Required by
    dbus ('dbus-glib', '0.33',
    '3.fc4.1')
    dbus ('dbus-python', '0.33',
    '3.fc4.1')

    What does all the information I pasted above mean? Where can I find the
    files?

    What exactly is the procedure for installing software as I am probably doing
    it incorrectly?
    Does anyone know of a free tutorial on the internet which explains how to
    install software? Ideally I would like 2 tutorials, 1 for installing
    software in Fedora Core 4 and another for installing software in Mandriva
    10.2.

    Also I was wondering if there were other repositories that can be used in
    FC4 or Mandriva 10.2? If so where can I find these repositories and how can
    I setup my Linux distributions (i.e. Mandriva 10.2 & Fedora Core 4) to use
    these repositories?

    I hope you can help.

    I appreciate any help or information given.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Installing software - please help! (also in alt.os.linux)

    Neil Hindry wrote:
    > I wonder if you can help me. I am new to Linux and am struggling to install
    > new software.
    >
    > I have Mandriva 10.2 installed on my Desktop PC and Fedora Core 4 installed
    > on my laptop.
    >
    > In Mandriva 10.2 there is a game called Frozen Bubble and I enjoy playing it
    > while I am waiting for something else to finish. So I thought it would be
    > nice to have it on my laptop in FC4.
    >
    > I found the website for Frozen Bubble (http://www.frozen-bubble.org/) I
    > clicked on download and then clicked on the link listed for Red Hat Linux
    > packages courtesy Freshrpms (http://freshrpms.net/rpm/frozen-bubble) but
    > after a few seconds it said it needed other files; I think it was Perl-SDL
    > that it needed, I looked for what I think was the correct file but when I
    > tried it it said it needed other files.
    > I had no idea where to get the needed files and by this point I was quite
    > frustrated & confused.
    >
    > So I decided to try and install something else which was part of FC4. I went
    > to 'Add/Remove programs' and in the development section I put a tick in the
    > box for 'Development tools' (I did this as it said Perl was part of this
    > package). However, when I tried the installation it displayed the following
    > message :-
    >
    > Packages not found
    >
    > Unlocated package Required by
    > dbus ('dbus-glib', '0.33',
    > '3.fc4.1')
    > dbus ('dbus-python', '0.33',
    > '3.fc4.1')
    >

    > What does all the information I pasted above mean? Where can I find the
    > files?
    >
    > What exactly is the procedure for installing software as I am probably doing
    > it incorrectly?
    > Does anyone know of a free tutorial on the internet which explains how to
    > install software? Ideally I would like 2 tutorials, 1 for installing
    > software in Fedora Core 4 and another for installing software in Mandriva
    > 10.2.
    >
    > Also I was wondering if there were other repositories that can be used in
    > FC4 or Mandriva 10.2? If so where can I find these repositories and how can
    > I setup my Linux distributions (i.e. Mandriva 10.2 & Fedora Core 4) to use
    > these repositories?
    >
    > I hope you can help.
    >
    > I appreciate any help or information given.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Can't you just use yum to install frozen-buuble, or does it not work
    like that?

    --

    From Bruce Cowan

+ Reply to Thread