Re: Why I dumped Linux and Went Back to Windows. - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Why I dumped Linux and Went Back to Windows. - Linux ; narrows_whitefish@yahoo.com wrote: > Linux sounded great on paper as well as listening to posts in various > newsgroups. So what could a person find wrong with a ton of free > software? > The short answer is it depends> > ...

  1. Re: Why I dumped Linux and Went Back to Windows.

    narrows_whitefish@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Linux sounded great on paper as well as listening to posts in various
    > newsgroups. So what could a person find wrong with a ton of free
    > software?
    > The short answer is it depends>
    > The long answer is, most of the free software needs a lot of work to
    > become usable.
    >
    > So let us start with a P4 3.0ghz with 1gig memory, UDMA100 drives, and
    > ipod, Nvidia card and a Sony monitor. Printer is a Brother.
    > Distribution is Suse 9.2.
    >
    > Linux installed ok, but the printer dialog was extremely confusing.
    > I inserted the CD that came with my printer, which supports Linux BT
    > and drivers were installed.
    > Unfortunately I still could not print.
    > Three days later and a lot of Goole, I discovered how to make this all
    > work.
    >
    > Odd since all I did was plug the printer in with Windows XP and it
    > worked.
    >
    > How about web browsing?
    > I used konqueror which I found out sucks.
    > So I tried firefox. I quickly discovered that browsing was so slow it
    > was pathetic.
    > A little research showed I needed to turn off IPV6.
    >
    > Funny, I didn't have to do that with Windows.
    > Same firefox and it works great with Windows.
    >
    > I also noticed that I could not play CD's until I created a /mnt
    > directory in which xmms would mount my audio cds.
    >
    > Real user friendly.
    >
    > I tried Openoffice, which seems to take an eternity to load even on a
    > P4 machine.
    > What a dog!!
    > It seems to work ok once it loads.
    >
    > Now I try my iPod mini.
    > It doesn't work.
    > No surprise.
    > Does anything actually work with Linux?
    > I plugged this same device in with Windows and it worked fine.
    >
    > Linux?
    > A joke...
    >
    > I followed 1/2 a dozen web pages and still can't make it work.
    >
    > Sorry but Linux is a dismal system and I will go back to Windows.
    >
    > Squawk all you wish but nobody, I repeat NOBODY will put up with the
    > 3rd class rap that Linux offers.
    >
    > Go compile a kernel or something because the rest of us are happily
    > using our applications while you Linux fools try and figure out how to
    > make ATI cards work with your lame operating system.

    Well Linux is not for everyone, first you have to be able to read
    and understand instructions, and then you have to be able to get
    past the windows mentality of just clicking yes,yes,yes I want to
    install that. And of course you must also devote a good portion
    of hard drive space to all kinds of protection software and third
    party add ons not to mention the time spent doing on line scans
    and removing spy ware,virus's and such.

    I can see why you would want to use windows it does take up a lot of
    time and effort to keep it usable.

    And just out of curiosity how many times have you had to use
    system restore or format?

    Me I have been using Linux suse 9.2 on a computer that has not been
    turned off in a bit over two years with out any major problems,
    can you say the same?

  2. Re: Why I dumped Linux and Went Back to Windows.

    I'm a seasoned professional with Unix experience on NeXT & SGI's. I still
    have an SGI O2 and an Indigo 2. I have used Windoz extensively at work.
    I am trying to install SUSE Linux 10.0 at work and at home. At work I have
    a dual Opteron with software raid on 4 disks which Linux doesn't recognize.
    SUSE was installed on a 5th IDE drive. Dual boot problems were intense, I
    eventually had to rely on Windows boot manager which works most of the time.
    The monitor is a DELL 2405FPW (flat panel display) with a resolution of
    1920x1200. I have not been able to set it to that resolution since YaST
    seems to want to express the monitor preferences in terms of horizontal and
    vertical sync rate. On Windows I just ask for 1920x1200 at 60Hz and voila!
    When trying to set nvida driver options I found it impossible (from YaST2)
    to set the option list to "Scaling=native" since something strips out "="
    and if it doesn't like what you entered it magically disappears without
    mention. I had to examine /etc/X11/xorg.conf to notice this. At home
    I have not been able to boot either into SUSE or Windows. Within SUSE
    I have tried to install the boot loader into the Master Boot Record or the
    boot partition. Within Windows XP I have tried to install its loader.
    ALL TO NO AVAIL! The SUSE installation disk does have an option to boot the
    installed system which works. But right now I am freaked out!

    So I can sympathize with the original poster.

    Larry

+ Reply to Thread