Under $1,000 Laptops Perform Better With Linux, Not Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| There is good news and a bad news for everyone who is looking for better
| laptop options. The good news is that you can get a good, solid laptop for
| under $1,000 these days. The bad news for ‘Vista’ users is that majority of
| these cheap laptops coming with ‘Vista’ do not have sufficient resource base
| to run ‘Vista’ decently.
|
| [...]
|
| Dell and few other small companies, like Asus with its tiny Eee PC 4G UMPC
| are also selling Linux-powered laptops. Vendors make even more upfront profit
| per unit for these sales.
|
| Steven J. Vaughan makes further analysis and say,” that under-$500 Toshiba
| laptop with Home Basic? With 512MB of RAM and embedded Intel graphics, even
| the already mediocre Home Basic is still going to suck dead snakes through
| rusty tailpipes. Stick any Linux distribution on it; say ‘Fedora 8, gOS 1.02
| or OpenSUSE 10.3’, and you’ve got a really useful laptop”.
|
| Steven J.Vaughan says, “Do the math. Vista doesn’t work for today’s laptop
| market. XP and Linux do. It’s really that simple”.
`----

http://www.iguides.org/news/under-10...not-vista.html

Related:

Excerpts: Latest filings in 'Vista Capable' lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| The lawsuit over Microsoft's "Windows Vista Capable" marketing program has
| reached a key juncture. Lawyers for the plaintiffs have formally requested
| class-action status for the case, seeking to open it up to many more people,
| and Microsoft last week filed its official opposition to that request. The
| filings contain some interesting tidbits on both sides. * *
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

Judge Says 'Windows Vista Capable' Lawsuit Can Proceed

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge has ruled that two consumers can proceed with a lawsuit that
| claims Microsoft's "Windows Vista Capable" campaign was misleading.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...on=All+Stories

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands. *
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie. * * *
`----

Where does Linux go from here?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux and free software are here to stay. No single commercial firm will ever
| control the Linux ecosystem like Microsoft has the rest of the software
| industry. Though both may prosper, the bazaar will outlive the boardrooms,
| and Linux popularity will continue to grow on servers, desktops, appliances,
| and embedded devices. * *
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119865s

This time for sure on mobile Linux