Windows uptime and stability very good - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows uptime and stability very good - Linux ; ================================================== "Short of hardware failure, it seems that both our Windows and Linux servers never crash. Linux is a bit easier to patch without rebooting. At this point, I trust that our Windows servers are about as stable as our ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Windows uptime and stability very good

    "Short of hardware failure, it seems that both our Windows and Linux servers
    never crash. Linux is a bit easier to patch without rebooting.
    At this point, I trust that our Windows servers are about as stable as our
    Linux servers in terms of uptime under normal circumstances. But aside from
    that, there is a limit to how much I can trust proprietary software (as in
    closed, not as in commercial), because I don't have the source. Fixing open
    source code as part of my job isn't something I do often, but the need
    arises at least a couple times a year. The last time, days of work would
    have otherwise been lost. You just can't fix some bugs without the source.
    There are always workarounds, but sometimes they're comparable to buying a
    new house to fix a broken window."

    Posted by: David Finch at December 20, 2005 10:06 PM
    "Well not to burst any bubbles, and in the interests of full disclosure, I
    have a friend (who I trust) who is a Win20 admin. He says he has machines
    that have been up 500+ days."
    Posted by: Linux Lover at December 22, 2005 09:10 AM

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/openreso..._uptime_a.html

  2. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    DFS wrote:

    > "Short of hardware failure, it seems that both our Windows and Linux
    > servers never crash. Linux is a bit easier to patch without rebooting.

    A bit easier?? This guy is a total asshole. You can't update a windows box
    without a reboot... The ONLY time you have to reboot a linux box is if you
    alter the kernel...

    What a moron...

    > At this point, I trust that our Windows servers are about as stable as our
    > Linux servers in terms of uptime under normal circumstances.

    Like... maybe if... the windows boxes NEVER sees a user...

    > But aside
    > from that, there is a limit to how much I can trust proprietary software
    > (as in closed, not as in commercial), because I don't have the source.
    > Fixing open source code as part of my job isn't something I do often, but
    > the need arises at least a couple times a year. The last time, days of
    > work would have otherwise been lost. You just can't fix some bugs without
    > the source. There are always workarounds, but sometimes they're comparable
    > to buying a new house to fix a broken window."

    Uhh... a ray of hope. Who is this guy???

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > DFS wrote:

    >> "Short of hardware failure, it seems that both our Windows and Linux
    >> servers never crash. Linux is a bit easier to patch without
    >> rebooting.

    > A bit easier?? This guy is a total asshole. You can't update a
    > windows box without a reboot...

    B-u-l-l-s-h-i-t.

    > The ONLY time you have to reboot a
    > linux box is if you alter the kernel...

    Or change a video driver:
    http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Mepis_reboot.png

    Or when the screen goes blank for no reason (which started happening to me
    when I logged out of a KDE session in StartCom EL5)

    Or when Suse decides to choke: "Every now and then my CD/DVD drive will not
    eject. This seems to happen after having used K3B and closing the drive with
    no CD/DVD mounted. It seems that only a reboot fixes it." thread on
    alt.os.linux.suse

    etc
    etc
    etc

  4. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    DFS :
    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> "Short of hardware failure, it seems that both our Windows and Linux
    >>> servers never crash. Linux is a bit easier to patch without
    >>> rebooting.

    >> A bit easier?? This guy is a total asshole. You can't update a
    >> windows box without a reboot...

    > B-u-l-l-s-h-i-t.
    >

    >> The ONLY time you have to reboot a
    >> linux box is if you alter the kernel...

    > Or change a video driver:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Mepis_reboot.png

    ctrl-alt-bckspc would've done the job in this case. You're running a
    system designed to pander to Windows users. Those folks are used to
    rebooting every time you change something.

    --
    Every harlot was a virgin once.
    -- William Blake

    www.websterscafe.com

  5. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    Handover Phist wrote:
    > DFS :
    >> Jerry McBride wrote:

    >>> The ONLY time you have to reboot a
    >>> linux box is if you alter the kernel...

    >> Or change a video driver:
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Mepis_reboot.png

    > ctrl-alt-bckspc would've done the job in this case. You're running a
    > system designed to pander to Windows users. Those folks are used to
    > rebooting every time you change something.

    So you're accusing the Mepis developers of lying.

  6. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Handover Phist wrote:
    >> DFS :

    >>> Or change a video driver:
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Mepis_reboot.png

    >> ctrl-alt-bckspc would've done the job in this case. You're running a
    >> system designed to pander to Windows users. Those folks are used to
    >> rebooting every time you change something.

    > So you're accusing the Mepis developers of lying.

    We've already been all over this Mepis video canard a few months ago.

    Take your ass-kicking like a man.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  7. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 11:27:34 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Handover Phist wrote:
    >> DFS :

    >>> Or change a video driver:
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Mepis_reboot.png

    >> ctrl-alt-bckspc would've done the job in this case. You're running a
    >> system designed to pander to Windows users. Those folks are used to
    >> rebooting every time you change something.

    > So you're accusing the Mepis developers of lying.

    Based on your history around here, it is most likely - by far - that you
    are being intentionally dishonest, but it is *remotely* possible that
    you're simply a vegetable, incapable of actual learning, so I'll give you
    the benefit of the doubt, assume you really are just that unbelievably
    moronic, and explain this to you again, in the vain hopes you will buy a
    clue this time.

    It is *not* necessary to reboot in order to activate a video driver. It
    is, however, a multi-step operation which, in many cases, would require
    writing down the instructions as they won't be available on screen for
    several of those steps.

    Since most users aren't going to bother writing such things down, and
    since the details of doing it right are less than immediately obvious -
    and easy to get wrong - a simpler mechanism would be preferred in the
    general case, and such a mechanism exists: reboot the machine.

    Is it necessary? No. It will, however, do the job and involves one,
    simple instruction which even someone as challenged as you are can manage
    to pull off.

    Is Mepis lying? Yes, in the sense someone who says "the sun is rising" is
    lying; the sun is not rising, the earth is rotating about its axis,
    exposing the portion of its surface where the viewer is located to an
    increasing portion of the sun's light. Normal people can grasp that "the
    sun is rising" is both technically inaccurate yet not a lie; it is a
    simplification used because the strictly correct statement offers no
    particular benefit in most cases.

    Just as "the sun is rising" is not a lie, Mepis saying you need to reboot
    to update your video driver is neither technically correct nor a lie, but
    a simplification which will achieve the desired result without a lot of
    technobabble which benefits few - a few who, as noted, likely know how to
    avoid the reboot anyhow.

    You know, I can't believe I just wasted that much energy explaining this
    to you when it's readily obvious you are either a complete ****ing moron
    or an completely dishonest ****head; you're either too stupid or too
    dishonest to ever manage to grasp the concepts involved and apply them, so
    this was a complete waste of effort.

    Too bad. Most people I have some vain hope that they're actually capable
    of learning. You, I have no such hope for. I took you out of the
    killfile to see just how long it took you to pull something like this, and
    there you go, almost immediately proving yourself a total, complete and
    absolute ****tard.

    Back to the circular file with you. Maybe I'll try again in 2009.

  8. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 11:27:34 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Back to the circular file with you. Maybe I'll try again in 2009.

    This all looks quite familiar. Didn't Dopey DuFu$ post something like this
    earlier in the year? The idiot troll must have run out of things to whine
    about. Of course, trolls *do* tend to go round in circles & repeat
    themselves every so often.

    --
    It takes time, this. One slight error in any of my thirteen billion
    calculations and we'll be blasted to smithereens.

  9. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    Nothing says "loser" like "nymshifter".
    --chrisv on C.O.L.A

  10. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 00:18:48 +0000, William Poaster wrote:

    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 11:27:34 -0500, DFS wrote:

    >> Back to the circular file with you. Maybe I'll try again in 2009.

    > This all looks quite familiar. Didn't Dopey DuFu$ post something like
    > this earlier in the year? The idiot troll must have run out of things to
    > whine about. Of course, trolls *do* tend to go round in circles & repeat
    > themselves every so often.

    He did, and I explained it all to the lying sack of **** then, too.

  11. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Handover Phist wrote:
    >>> DFS :

    >>> ctrl-alt-bckspc would've done the job in this case. You're running a
    >>> system designed to pander to Windows users. Those folks are used to
    >>> rebooting every time you change something.

    >> So you're accusing the Mepis developers of lying.

    > We've already been all over this Mepis video canard a few months ago.

    Now you're accusing the Mepis developers of lying. Shame!

    If Ctrl+Alt+Backspace would suffice - as Handover claims - why didn't Mepis
    just say so? Is it the moronic claim of both you wacks that Mepis is
    *intentionally* making it much more difficult and interruptive to change a
    video driver than it has to be?

    > Take your ass-kicking like a man.

    Come back when your punches don't feel like a 3rd-graders'.

  12. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    * vegetable
    * incapable of actual learning
    * unbelievably moronic
    * as challenged as you
    * complete ****ing moron
    * completely dishonest ****head
    * too stupid
    * too dishonest
    * You, I have no such hope for
    * total, complete and absolute ****tard.
    * lying sack of ****

    Yep, it's the real Kelsey Bjarnason. And he's having a good day!

    > It is *not* necessary to reboot in order to activate a video driver. It
    > is, however, a multi-step operation which, in many cases, would require
    > writing down the instructions as they won't be available on screen for
    > several of those steps.

    Handover Phist says Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is all that's needed. Mepis says a
    reboot is required. Someone's bull****ting here in la-la land.

    > Just as "the sun is rising" is not a lie, Mepis saying you need to reboot
    > to update your video driver is neither technically correct nor a lie, but
    > a simplification which will achieve the desired result without a lot of
    > technobabble which benefits few - a few who, as noted, likely know how to
    > avoid the reboot anyhow.

    So Mepis would rather lie and trick a user into rebooting than make them go
    through the kinds of hassles Linux is well known for. Either way you luse
    with Linux.

    > Back to the circular file with you. Maybe I'll try again in 2009.

    Come back soon, you heah!

    > This all looks quite familiar. Didn't Dopey DuFu$ post something like
    > this earlier in the year? The idiot troll must have run out of things to
    > whine about. Of course, trolls *do* tend to go round in circles & repeat
    > themselves every so often.

    Poaster, how come in the 3.5 years I've been on cola you've rarely if ever
    contributed anything worth reading or discussing? Cripes almighty, if you
    can't talk about Linux, maybe you can tell us how to hit a draw with a
    driver - I can't make it happen (though I can easily draw my irons, and hit
    nice power fades with the driver).

    > He did, and I explained it all to the lying sack of **** then, too.

    Where's the lie?

  13. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    Linonut wrote:

> [...]

    Click the link Linoliar. "You must reboot so the change will take effect."

  14. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    > This guy is a total asshole. You can't update a
    > windows box without a reboot..

    Admission of your problem is the first step on the road to recovery.

    I updated XP this morning without a reboot, yet you claim it's not possible.
    Why must you lie so often?

  15. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:23:43 -0600, SW wrote:

    > Click the link Linoliar. "You must reboot so the change will take
    > effect."

    Ah, yes. "It must be true - I saw it on the net."

    Another drooling moron incapable of the mental processes required to wipe
    the drool from his chin, now also relegated to the circular file.

  16. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    SW wrote:

    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >>
    >> This guy is a total asshole. You can't update a
    >> windows box without a reboot..

    > Admission of your problem is the first step on the road to recovery.
    >
    > I updated XP this morning without a reboot, yet you claim it's not
    > possible. Why must you lie so often?

    Oh, it may happen that a DLL is not in use and so the reboot is not needed.
    That is not the rule, though. It is the exception
    --
    Any idiot can run XP. And usually does.

  17. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> We've already been all over this Mepis video canard a few months ago.

    > Now you're accusing the Mepis developers of lying. Shame!
    >
    >> Take your ass-kicking like a man.

    > Come back when your punches don't feel like a 3rd-graders'.

    You can talk smack all you like, but your posts have been extremely
    feeble lately. I'm serious. Please increase your trolling quality, so
    we can have a real challenge.

    And try to avoid the Slimer tactics practised by amiscum.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  18. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    * SW fired off this tart reply:

    They are wrong. Simple as that, ****Wit.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  19. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 00:18:48 +0000, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 11:27:34 -0500, DFS wrote:

    >>> Back to the circular file with you. Maybe I'll try again in 2009.

    >> This all looks quite familiar. Didn't Dopey DuFu$ post something like
    >> this earlier in the year? The idiot troll must have run out of things to
    >> whine about. Of course, trolls *do* tend to go round in circles & repeat
    >> themselves every so often.

    >He did, and I explained it all to the lying sack of **** then, too.

    That's the MO. I've had him plonked since day one, and still see
    enough of his ****e to know that he is always repeating the same lies
    and idiocy (and, unfortunately, getting rewarded for it).

  20. Re: Windows uptime and stability very good

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >Is Mepis lying? Yes, in the sense someone who says "the sun is rising" is
    >lying; the sun is not rising, the earth is rotating about its axis,
    >exposing the portion of its surface where the viewer is located to an
    >increasing portion of the sun's light. Normal people can grasp that "the
    >sun is rising" is both technically inaccurate yet not a lie; it is a
    >simplification used because the strictly correct statement offers no
    >particular benefit in most cases.

    A good (and funny) analogy. However, far too many multi-syllable
    words for the idiot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast