Another Linux/OSS convert - Linux

This is a discussion on Another Linux/OSS convert - Linux ; A couple weeks ago I mentioned giving an Ubuntu CD to my neighbor. I talked to her again while celebrating the new year last night, and she mentioned giving it a spin. She is particularly impressed with OpenOffice and says ...

  1. Another Linux/OSS convert

    A couple weeks ago I mentioned giving an Ubuntu CD to my neighbor.
    I talked to her again while celebrating the new year last night, and
    she mentioned giving it a spin. She is particularly impressed with
    OpenOffice and says she wished she had known about it sooner. The
    original plan was to put Ubuntu on an older PC she had kicking
    around, but she has since then acquired an older Dell Laptop that
    will instead be the Ubuntu trial system. It is looking likely that
    this will be another successful Linux migration.

    In related news, counting the one I gave my girlfriend, I now know
    four people who have received XO laptops via the OLPC Give One Get One
    program (which means four needy children also received laptops). Of
    those four, only one was previously a Linux geek, so this is
    definitely expanding the reach of Linux.

    Happy New Year,

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  2. Re: Another Linux/OSS convert

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 11:08:27 -0600, thad05 scribbled down:

    > A couple weeks ago I mentioned giving an Ubuntu CD to my neighbor.
    > I talked to her again while celebrating the new year last night, and
    > she mentioned giving it a spin. She is particularly impressed with
    > OpenOffice and says she wished she had known about it sooner. The
    > original plan was to put Ubuntu on an older PC she had kicking
    > around, but she has since then acquired an older Dell Laptop that
    > will instead be the Ubuntu trial system. It is looking likely that
    > this will be another successful Linux migration.
    >
    > In related news, counting the one I gave my girlfriend, I now know
    > four people who have received XO laptops via the OLPC Give One Get One
    > program (which means four needy children also received laptops). Of
    > those four, only one was previously a Linux geek, so this is
    > definitely expanding the reach of Linux.
    >
    > Happy New Year,
    >
    > Thad

    Nice work Thad. The important thing that people often forget to do is to
    check up and follow up with the new Linux user a few days down the road.
    If not they may get stuck on something and revert back to that 'other' OS
    they are accustomed to working with.

    --
    Ubuntu Linux
    16:53:05 up 131 days, 5:07, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.09, 0.09

    You will become rich and famous unless you don't.