[News] Rankings of Free Software, Free Speech & Privacy - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Rankings of Free Software, Free Speech & Privacy - Linux ; Best Ten Open Source Desktop Applications of 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | Many applications come and go everyday from our computers and, in the end, | only the best remains. Therefore, we thought it was a good idea to pick ...

  1. [News] Rankings of Free Software, Free Speech & Privacy

    Best Ten Open Source Desktop Applications of 2007

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Many applications come and go everyday from our computers and, in the end,
    | only the best remains. Therefore, we thought it was a good idea to pick ten
    | of the best open source applications of the year that passed. The following
    | classification is not a "who's the best or worst app" kind of list, it was
    | made based on the most used and useful applications that helped us (the
    | users) during the entire year. Without any further introduction, here are the
    | finalists...
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Best-...07-74963.shtml

    The 2007 International Privacy Ranking

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Each year since 1997, the US-based Electronic Privacy Information Center and
    | the UK-based Privacy International have undertaken what has now become the
    | most comprehensive survey of global privacy ever published. The Privacy &
    | Human Rights Report surveys developments in 70 countries, assessing the state
    | of surveillance and privacy protection.
    `----

    http://www.privacyinternational.org/...d=x-347-559597

    Bad for the UK.

    Related:

    No email privacy rights under Constitution, US gov claims

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This appears to be more than a mere argument in support of the
    | constitutionality of a Congressional email privacy and access scheme. It
    | represents what may be the fundamental governmental position on
    | Constitutional email and electronic privacy - that there isn't any. What is
    | important in this case is not the ultimate resolution of that narrow issue,
    | but the position that the United States government is taking on the entire
    | issue of electronic privacy. That position, if accepted, may mean that the
    | government can read anybody's email at any time without a warrant. * * *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...email_privacy/

    Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...e-systems.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Is this a good idea or not? For the first time, the giant software maker
    | is acknowledging the help of the secretive agency, better known for
    | eavesdropping on foreign officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as
    | part of the Bush..."
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...s_micro_1.html

    Can FOSS save your privacy?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, the Bush regime has already claimed "we don't need no steenkin
    | warrant" to listen to your phone calls, see what websites you visit,
    | scan your emails, and now, with the revelation of a new
    | "signing statement", it?s even claiming the authority to read your
    | physical mail. When the government becomes the biggest threat to
    | your privacy, you better take advantage of the legion of privacy
    | advocates creating FOSS to help you retain what little bit of privacy
    | you can still have.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | However, just because your privacy is being threatened doesn't mean
    | you have to accept it. There is a growing array of FOSS being
    | developed to provide us with the ability to control our privacy.
    | It's about time we all start using it.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...e_your_privacy

    Polippix: The Political Linux Distribution of Denmark

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From what I have been able to determine, PROSA, the Association of
    | Computer Professionals, is the group responsible for its development
    | and distribution. Their feelings on how privacy is being affected in
    | the country of Denmark are rather obvious, and it looks as if they
    | are not going to take these concerns lying down.
    `----

    http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7822

    Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
    | encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ng-police-hack

    UK holds Microsoft security talks

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
    | Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Rankings of Free Software, Free Speech & Privacy

    > No email privacy rights under Constitution, US gov claims
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | This appears to be more than a mere argument in support of the
    > | constitutionality of a Congressional email privacy and access scheme. It
    > | represents what may be the fundamental governmental position on
    > | Constitutional email and electronic privacy - that there isn't any. What is
    > | important in this case is not the ultimate resolution of that narrow issue,
    > | but the position that the United States government is taking on the entire
    > | issue of electronic privacy. That position, if accepted, may mean that the
    > | government can read anybody's email at any time without a warrant.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...email_privacy/

    It seems that people here in my country have forgotten
    who the U.S. Government is. I am a citizen of the United
    States Of America (in a purely corporeal/non-spiritual
    sense) and I am the Government of the United States
    of America, and I want to put your mind at ease.

    Ready?
    If you are a citizen of the United States of America,
    YOU are the Government of the United States Of America.
    The serfs who are serving you can only get away with
    what you allow them to get away with.

    There are some transient serfs who are administering
    the duties of your Government for you at the moment, but
    if they annoy you too much, you can remove them
    from their temporary positions deftly and swiftly.

    In the meantime, while there may be writs declaring that
    such-n-such annoying, peevish activities (such as reading
    your email by your representative-serfs or your representative-serfs'
    serfs) are permitted, you should live boldly and honorably
    without any concern whatsoever about which of your serfs might
    read the things that you write or track the things that you do.

    In the end, you only have to answer to one Being. If you
    are living in accordance with the freedoms granted to you
    by the Creator, you have nothing to fear . . . . EVER!

    If you really, really need privacy, I have three letters for you:
    PGP.

    If you're a citizen of the United States of America,
    keep your pimp-hand strong, because you never know when
    you're going to have to bitch-slap some of the serfs who
    are administering the duties of your Government on your
    behalf.

    Live without fear! Just do it! It's gonna be fun!

    The TRUTH has set you free!

    Freely,
    Kelton Dean Newman,

  3. Re: [News] Rankings of Free Software, Free Speech & Privacy

    ____/ Kelton on Tuesday 01 January 2008 18:07 : \____

    > Ready?
    > If you are a citizen of the United States of America,
    > YOU are the Government of the United States Of America.
    > The serfs who are serving you can only get away with
    > what you allow them to get away with.

    Just a mild correction if I may:

    The real government is not the people whom you elect. It's the people with the
    monopolies and the big bucks.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sstD...eature=related

    It's nice to /think/ and /believe/ that the citizens actually control
    decision-makers through the ballot, isn't it?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "I don’t understand how IE is going to win. The current path is simply to copy
    everything that Netscape does packaging and product wise."
    --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

+ Reply to Thread