Printer has stopped working - Linux

This is a discussion on Printer has stopped working - Linux ; Hi all, My Samsung ML-1750 USB printer has been working flawlessly, but now it doesn't work for some reason. Here is the error message I get when I try to print a test page: There was a problem sending CUPS ...

  1. Printer has stopped working

    Hi all,

    My Samsung ML-1750 USB printer has been working flawlessly, but now it
    doesn't work for some reason. Here is the error message I get when I try
    to print a test page:

    There was a problem sending CUPS test page
    to 'printer' queue:

    lpr: error - unable to print file: server-error-not-accepting-jobs

    What does it mean I how do I proceed trouble shooting? I run Fedora Core
    4 and I have the latest version of CUPS installed.

    Regards,

    August

  2. Re: Printer has stopped working

    akarl wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My Samsung ML-1750 USB printer has been working flawlessly, but now it
    > doesn't work for some reason. Here is the error message I get when I
    > try to print a test page:
    >
    > There was a problem sending CUPS test page
    > to 'printer' queue:
    >
    > lpr: error - unable to print file: server-error-not-accepting-jobs
    >
    > What does it mean I how do I proceed trouble shooting? I run Fedora
    > Core 4 and I have the latest version of CUPS installed.

    This may sound strange, but it does work.....

    Get a list of the cups rpm packages installed; rpm -qa 'cups*'

    Have (maybe download) the packages (from the output from above) ready to
    reinstall (apt, up2date or yum).

    Force the removal of the cups rpm packages using the '--nodeps' switch.
    Don't worry you will reinstall them very shortly...

    Example; rpm -e cups cups-libs cups-devel --nodeps

    Delete (or move) the /etc/cups directory structure, when done restart
    the system. After the system restarted install the cups rpm packages
    and reconfigure (or restore) the printer.

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  3. Re: Printer has stopped working

    Lenard wrote:
    > akarl wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>My Samsung ML-1750 USB printer has been working flawlessly, but now it
    >>doesn't work for some reason. Here is the error message I get when I
    >>try to print a test page:
    >>
    >> There was a problem sending CUPS test page
    >> to 'printer' queue:
    >>
    >> lpr: error - unable to print file: server-error-not-accepting-jobs
    >>
    >>What does it mean I how do I proceed trouble shooting? I run Fedora
    >>Core 4 and I have the latest version of CUPS installed.

    > This may sound strange, but it does work.....
    >
    > Get a list of the cups rpm packages installed; rpm -qa 'cups*'
    >
    > Have (maybe download) the packages (from the output from above) ready to
    > reinstall (apt, up2date or yum).
    >
    > Force the removal of the cups rpm packages using the '--nodeps' switch.
    > Don't worry you will reinstall them very shortly...
    >
    > Example; rpm -e cups cups-libs cups-devel --nodeps
    >
    > Delete (or move) the /etc/cups directory structure, when done restart
    > the system. After the system restarted install the cups rpm packages
    > and reconfigure (or restore) the printer.

    Thanks for your solution. Actually I managed to fix the problem simply
    by opening

    Desktop -> System Settings -> Printing -> Edit -> Printer Driver

    and changing the driver from `pxlmono' to `hpijs'. The strange thing is
    that when I opened the Edit dialog again `pxlmono' was selected (as far
    as I know i pressed the Apply button in between). As long as it works
    I'm happy. Must be some kind of bug.

    August

+ Reply to Thread