new 'xvmc' branch of intel video driver

,----[ Quote ]
| The aim of the new 'xvmc' branch is to deprecate origin
| 'xvmc-i915' branch with lot of cleanups and new framework
| inside driver to add supports for more hardware media decode
| drivers in future. It also has changes that affect users.
`----

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/031496.html

How to run games on Linux (sweet links)

,----[ Quote ]
| The most important thing that make youngsters so attached to Windows and
| reject Linux distributions is running games.
|
| [...]
|
| Frank's Corner
|
| Frank is a linux user. His blog is about how to run windows applications on
| Linux. In this website you can find how to run a huge list of games using
| Wine.
`----

http://wddc.blogspot.com/2007/12/how...eet-links.html

Related:

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
| * * * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
| * * * Need for Speed Carbon
| * *
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/0...ps-than-vista/

TransGaming and Mandriva Renew OEM Agreement to Game Enable MandrivaLinux 2008
With Cedega

,----[ Quote ]
| Cedega is the world's only commercial gaming solution for the Linux operating
| system. Cedega allows users to run PC games on their Linux operating system
| seamlessly, transparently, and with equivalent performance and game play. *
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=777371

SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

,----[ Quote ]
| This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
| thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
`----

http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/...ed-showdo.html

[MS MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

,----[ Quote ]
| Long story short - World of Warcraft runs faster under Ubuntu/Wine than
| natively under Windows XP Professional.
`----

http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/arc...k-my-mips.aspx

Free Games for Linux

..----[ Quote ]
| A round-up of fun Linux diversions.
|
| When people talk about computer gaming these days, they
| invariably mean commercial games running on a Windows platform. Few
| people realize that Linux can be more than just a very good Web or
| file server. Even fewer people are aware of the many open-source or
| otherwise freely available games available for Linux.
`----

http://www2.linuxjournal.com/node/1000435

ET:QW Linux Demo Coming TODAY

,----[ Quote ]
| We told you three days ago that the Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Linux demo
| was coming very soon. Well, we've just received confirmation that the Linux
| demo client will be available today! A new ET:QW Windows demo update is
| coming out about noon (CST) and the Linux demo will be out within a few hours
| after that. We'll have more information then. * *
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjEyNg

Linux to game developers: No More Excuses

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell just showed us that the old "lack of market demand" excuse for
| Linux is falling flat. 200,000 users flooded Dell with requests
| for Linux pre-installed on their machines. That's just one
| manufacturer! Never mind the hundreds of thousands of Linux users,
| such as I, who gave up on Dell years ago.
|
| Previous to the Dell fiasco, I might have had my doubts about the
| commercial interests of Linux. But the last straw man has been
| beaten; from here on out, if you run a technology company and
| refuse to support Linux, it's because history's biggest and most
| oppressive monopoly is paying you not to.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index....&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
http://tinyurl.com/yp2se2

Vista Offers Nothing to Gamers