How to copyright Michelangelo - Linux

This is a discussion on How to copyright Michelangelo - Linux ; Some of the world's greatest artworks are turning into copyrighted properties.Five hundred years ago, Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel ceiling. Today, those images are copyrighted. How can ancient cultural icons become commercial properties, centuries after they fall into the public ...

  1. How to copyright Michelangelo

    Some of the world's greatest artworks are turning into copyrighted
    properties.Five hundred years ago, Michelangelo painted the Sistine
    Chapel ceiling. Today, those images are copyrighted. How can ancient
    cultural icons become commercial properties, centuries after they fall
    into the public domain?

    How this happened is a story that takes us from a Crusading Pope in
    the Borgias era, all the way to Bill Gates' mansion on the shores of
    Lake Washington....

    [History of Sistine Chapel frescoes and restoration...leads up to
    Gates' company Corbis...]

    Ultimately, it should not be surprising that a monopolist like Bill
    Gates discovered a clause in copyright law that allowed him to acquire
    a new monopoly. All monopolies ultimately derive from copyrights or
    patents granted by government. There is essentially no difference
    between a monopoly on artworks by Corbis, or a monopoly on computer
    operating systems by Microsoft.

    In a video interview on CNN in March 2006, Gates outlined his vision
    of Corbis as a commercial hub for image transactions, proposing a
    system of Digital Rights Management for images. You can see the video
    here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5T64dgw8n0).

    Whatever Gates touches, he makes into an expression of his personal
    business philosophy. The same provisions of copyright law apply to
    cultural institutions as well as robber barons, the only difference is
    how those laws are exploited.

    Copyright laws are fine, and work for, not against, the public
    interest. The ability to exploit the rights to Michelangelo's original
    work permitted a new masterpiece to emerge. But copyright only works
    if we can rein in the robber barons. ®

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...elo/print.html

  2. Re: How to copyright Michelangelo

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Monday 31 December 2007 17:21 : \____

    > But copyright only works
    > if we can rein in the robber barons.

    "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox’s store before I did and took
    the TV doesn’t mean I can’t go in later and steal the stereo."

    --Bill Gates, Microsoft

    Bill Gates' piracy confession

    "If you read way down to the bottom of a Wall Street Journal interview with
    Bill Gates that ran yesterday, you'll discover that the Microsoft executive
    admitted to watching pirated movies on the Internet. The confession came as he
    was talking about content he had viewed on YouTube."

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/2803

    Corbis and copyrights, you say?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
    Tasks: 133 total, 1 running, 132 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  3. Re: How to copyright Michelangelo

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Monday 31 December 2007 17:21 : \____
    >
    >> But copyright only works
    >> if we can rein in the robber barons.

    > "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox?s store before I did and took
    > the TV doesn?t mean I can?t go in later and steal the stereo."
    >
    > --Bill Gates, Microsoft
    >
    > Bill Gates' piracy confession
    >
    > "If you read way down to the bottom of a Wall Street Journal interview with
    > Bill Gates that ran yesterday, you'll discover that the Microsoft executive
    > admitted to watching pirated movies on the Internet. The confession came as he
    > was talking about content he had viewed on YouTube."
    >
    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/2803
    >
    > Corbis and copyrights, you say?

    Don't be fooled - Bill Gates does everything for a reason. This was
    done in order to demonstrate that YouTube is a hotbed of illegal
    material and should be shut-down, and the Microsoft version would be
    full of DRM and would have no such problems. Bill's point was the there
    was "illegal" material /on/ youtube.