[News] Open Linux Phones Can Promote Cheaper Decentralised Networks - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Open Linux Phones Can Promote Cheaper Decentralised Networks - Linux ; Cloudy visions of the future ,----[ Quote ] | The iPhone has accelerated the process begun by Symbian, and the rollout of | Google's Android and open source phones like OpenMoko may help, but it will | be a few ...

  1. [News] Open Linux Phones Can Promote Cheaper Decentralised Networks

    Cloudy visions of the future

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The iPhone has accelerated the process begun by Symbian, and the rollout of
    | Google's Android and open source phones like OpenMoko may help, but it will
    | be a few years before the devices are completely freed from reliance on the
    | network.
    `----

    Related:

    Linux powers $50 wireless mesh router

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Meraki was founded by CEO Sanjit Biswas, and is based in Mountain
    | View, Calif. In February, it closed a $5 million funding round led
    | by Google and Sequoia Capital.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Open Linux Phones Can Promote Cheaper Decentralised Networks

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Cloudy visions of the future
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The iPhone has accelerated the process begun by Symbian, and the rollout of
    >| Google's Android and open source phones like OpenMoko may help, but it will
    >| be a few years before the devices are completely freed from reliance on the
    >| network.
    > `----

    You can't do real-time streaming through ad-hoc networks... connections
    are an absolutely necessity. Still, it appears we'll need to go through
    yet another round of fantasy on this before someone actually does the
    technical work yet again.

  3. Re: [News] Open Linux Phones Can Promote Cheaper Decentralised Networks

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 01 January 2008 15:15 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Cloudy visions of the future
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The iPhone has accelerated the process begun by Symbian, and the rollout of
    >>| Google's Android and open source phones like OpenMoko may help, but it will
    >>| be a few years before the devices are completely freed from reliance on the
    >>| network.
    >> `----

    > You can't do real-time streaming through ad-hoc networks... connections
    > are an absolutely necessity. Still, it appears we'll need to go through
    > yet another round of fantasy on this before someone actually does the
    > technical work yet again.

    Maybe we'll move over from speech to telepathy (j/k), which can be relayed with
    delays.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, punch! Gas, gas!

  4. Re: [News] Open Linux Phones Can Promote Cheaper Decentralised Networks

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 01 January 2008 15:15 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Cloudy visions of the future
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7161260.stm
    >>>

    >> You can't do real-time streaming through ad-hoc networks... connections
    >> are an absolutely necessity. Still, it appears we'll need to go through
    >> yet another round of fantasy on this before someone actually does the
    >> technical work yet again.

    > Maybe we'll move over from speech to telepathy (j/k), which can be relayed with
    > delays.

    Hehe - it's probably more likely to work... There still seems to be a
    body of thought which imagines that by throwing bandwidth at a problem,
    packet loss, delay, jitter and so on can be compensated for. Maybe some
    people just watch too much star trek (not that I don't like star trek,
    before someone flames me).

    The fundamental problem is that once the eye/brain and/or ear/brain
    combination is part of the link, then the transport path has to present
    characteristics which the brain can cope with. The speech centres of
    the brain have evolved over millions of years, telecoms has been around
    for about a hundred years. Fantastic though evolution is, it just
    doesn't work quickly enough to handle the introduction of lossy packet
    transport into speech paths.