Re: [News] Microsoft to Attempt Windows Vertical Integration with... Cars? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Microsoft to Attempt Windows Vertical Integration with... Cars? - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > In-vehicle technology in focus in Las Vegas > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Microsoft, the software giant behind Sync, is banking on that kind of >| discerning consumer as it continues to forge ahead with its ...

  1. Re: [News] Microsoft to Attempt Windows Vertical Integration with... Cars?

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > In-vehicle technology in focus in Las Vegas
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Microsoft, the software giant behind Sync, is banking on that kind of
    >| discerning consumer as it continues to forge ahead with its grand plans to
    >| bring its tech customization to drivers across the world.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

    Oh god - how many people will die?

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft to Attempt Windows Vertical Integration with... Cars?

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 31 December 2007 14:29 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> In-vehicle technology in focus in Las Vegas
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Microsoft, the software giant behind Sync, is banking on that kind of
    >>| discerning consumer as it continues to forge ahead with its grand plans to
    >>| bring its tech customization to drivers across the world.
    >> `----

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

    > Oh god - how many people will die?

    I think Windows is safe enough for music, not the operation of the car's
    mechanics. Ask the airlines or the NYSE if they are anywhere near considering
    Windows.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
    Swap: 1510068k total, 245940k used, 1264128k free, 86808k cached

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft to Attempt Windows Vertical Integration with... Cars?

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 31 December 2007 14:29 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> In-vehicle technology in focus in Las Vegas
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof
    >>>

    >> Oh god - how many people will die?

    > I think Windows is safe enough for music, not the operation of the car's
    > mechanics. Ask the airlines or the NYSE if they are anywhere near considering
    > Windows.

    Well, the LSE *did* use Windows. And it crashed. Stupid.

  4. Windows on stock exchanges (was Re: [News] Microsoft to Attempt Windows Vertical Integration with... Cars?)

    In article <1859451.iClWbm29tl@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > I think Windows is safe enough for music, not the operation of the car's
    > mechanics. Ask the airlines or the NYSE if they are anywhere near considering
    > Windows.

    They've been using Windows at the NYSE for at least year:

    October 04, 2006 (Computerworld) -- Until a few months ago, the
    clearing and billing system for NYSE Group Inc.'s stock options
    exchange consisted of about 800 discrete Cobol programs running on
    an IBM mainframe. Today, the entire application set has migrated
    onto a pair of clustered, quadprocessor Windows servers. The
    recompiled programs remain in Cobol today, but they won't stay there
    for long

    <http://www.computerworld.com/action/...wArticleBasic&
    articleId=266156&pageNumber=1>

    NASDAQ, too, for at least two years:

    Nasdaq replaced aging Tandem mainframes used to disseminate market
    trade data with a SQL Server 2005 system that handles 5,000
    transactions per second and 100,000 queries a day and can scale up
    to 8 million new rows of data per day, according to Ken Richmond,
    vice president of engineering for the stock exchange. Richmond
    praised the integration of the latest editions of Visual Studio and
    SQL Server, which he said increased the productivity of his
    programmers by allowing them to write database applications in the
    easier C# or Visual Basic code rather than the increasingly esoteric
    T-SQL language.

    <http://www.computerworld.com/databas.../story/0,10801,
    106050,00.html>

    Also the London stock exchange, and many others around the world:

    <http://www.windowsfs.com/TheMag/tabi...leView/article
    Id/2023/Default.aspx>

    Some of these also use Linux, of course.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft to Attempt Windows Vertical Integration with... Cars?

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 01 January 2008 00:50 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 31 December 2007 14:29 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

    >>> Oh god - how many people will die?

    >> I think Windows is safe enough for music, not the operation of the car's
    >> mechanics. Ask the airlines or the NYSE if they are anywhere near
    >> considering Windows.
    >>

    > Well, the LSE *did* use Windows. And it crashed. Stupid.

    That was the exception (LSE). Microsoft tried hard to show that with huge
    redundancies (=$$$) Windows can get something done, but it failed. It was a
    sort of a model deployment to Microsoft. I'm sure that Gordon "Bilderberg"
    Brown is terrified by the idea of Free software running the so-called NWO, so
    him and the clique will try hard to avoid it, even if it emans having the
    stock exchange having a downtime every now and then.

    $Man: "I'd like to sell BT *now*, before the big announcement."

    $Banker: "I'm sorry, $Man, the market is offline at the moment, but I'll do it
    as soon as it's back online."

    Here's another:

    $Pilot: "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm afraid we have some memory leaks. Do not be
    alarmed. We are going to reboot the system and we have enough velocity to
    sustain movement. Restarting the system takes about 5 minutes because of AV
    software and all kinds of fancy programs, but we should be able to lift the
    plane up before the nose reaches a 40 degrees vertical angle. We will regain
    sufficient height before we hit the ground."

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft to Attempt Windows Vertical Integration with... Cars?

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 02 January 2008 05:05 : \____

    >> I'm sure that Gordon "Bilderberg" Brown

    > Oh, was he invited to this year's Nazi Party rally, then?
    >
    > The "Labour" party's just "New" all over, ain't it?

    As far as I know he's a regular. Various difference sources seemed to suggest
    so. Blair also and in fact he was elected /while/ (or after) being part of the
    club. Also see:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5cqh26CC0

    I am not anti-Labour at all, but Bilderberg just makes me sick. Bill Gates'
    wife is there also.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE)