Just thought I'd mention... - Linux

This is a discussion on Just thought I'd mention... - Linux ; That Ubuntu is great. I have this laptop, which is working under openSUSE except for one thing - wifi - (it has a Broadcom card, one of those awkward ones). At least, until a few days ago. I decided to ...

  1. Just thought I'd mention...

    That Ubuntu is great.

    I have this laptop, which is working under openSUSE except for one thing -
    wifi - (it has a Broadcom card, one of those awkward ones). At least,
    until a few days ago. I decided to try a little experiment, and booted up
    with ther latest Ubuntu Live CD. I dropped the firmware for my wifi card
    into /lib/firmware, then set it up in the normal way.

    Lo! and behold, it worked! Just like that.

    Now, I really like openSUSe, and I had everything set up just nicely apart
    from that card, but... the temptation of working wifi without a lot of
    hassle was too much. So I installed Ubuntu.

    Now I have working wifi, compiz-fusion effects and everything else I need,
    *and* my favourite, traditional kind of GNOME, without any trouble
    whatever.

    So, a round of applause to Ubuntu. Long may it continue.

    --
    Kier

  2. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    ____/ Kier on Monday 31 December 2007 12:38 : \____

    > That Ubuntu is great.
    >
    > I have this laptop, which is working under openSUSE except for one thing -
    > wifi - (it has a Broadcom card, one of those awkward ones). At least,
    > until a few days ago. I decided to try a little experiment, and booted up
    > with ther latest Ubuntu Live CD. I dropped the firmware for my wifi card
    > into /lib/firmware, then set it up in the normal way.
    >
    > Lo! and behold, it worked! Just like that.
    >
    > Now, I really like openSUSe, and I had everything set up just nicely apart
    > from that card, but... the temptation of working wifi without a lot of
    > hassle was too much. So I installed Ubuntu.
    >
    > Now I have working wifi, compiz-fusion effects and everything else I need,
    > *and* my favourite, traditional kind of GNOME, without any trouble
    > whatever.
    >
    > So, a round of applause to Ubuntu. Long may it continue.

    If you post this in Digg, the mob will burn an effigy of yours. ;-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
    roy pts/2 cg093a.halls.man Sun Dec 30 18:40 still logged in

  3. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:39:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Kier on Monday 31 December 2007 12:38 : \____
    >
    >> That Ubuntu is great.
    >>
    >> I have this laptop, which is working under openSUSE except for one thing -
    >> wifi - (it has a Broadcom card, one of those awkward ones). At least,
    >> until a few days ago. I decided to try a little experiment, and booted up
    >> with ther latest Ubuntu Live CD. I dropped the firmware for my wifi card
    >> into /lib/firmware, then set it up in the normal way.
    >>
    >> Lo! and behold, it worked! Just like that.
    >>
    >> Now, I really like openSUSe, and I had everything set up just nicely apart
    >> from that card, but... the temptation of working wifi without a lot of
    >> hassle was too much. So I installed Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Now I have working wifi, compiz-fusion effects and everything else I need,
    >> *and* my favourite, traditional kind of GNOME, without any trouble
    >> whatever.
    >>
    >> So, a round of applause to Ubuntu. Long may it continue.

    > If you post this in Digg, the mob will burn an effigy of yours. ;-)

    Why? I haven't been over to Digg for a while, what do they have against
    Ubuntu?

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    In article ,
    Kier wrote:
    > > If you post this in Digg, the mob will burn an effigy of yours. ;-)

    > Why? I haven't been over to Digg for a while, what do they have against
    > Ubuntu?

    Nothing in general. Lots of Ubuntu fans there. But there is a small
    group that will lecture you about confusing Ubuntu with Linux if you
    don't point out in your post that Wifi can be made to work on other
    distros, too. Oddly, Roy is part of that small group, which makes his
    post here kind of puzzling.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    In article ,
    Kier wrote:
    > I have this laptop, which is working under openSUSE except for one thing -
    > wifi - (it has a Broadcom card, one of those awkward ones). At least,
    > until a few days ago. I decided to try a little experiment, and booted up
    > with ther latest Ubuntu Live CD. I dropped the firmware for my wifi card
    > into /lib/firmware, then set it up in the normal way.
    >
    > Lo! and behold, it worked! Just like that.
    >
    > Now, I really like openSUSe, and I had everything set up just nicely apart
    > from that card, but... the temptation of working wifi without a lot of
    > hassle was too much. So I installed Ubuntu.

    I had a similar situation with sound once. It didn't work under SUSE,
    but worked under one of the popular live CDs. However, rather than
    dumping SUSE, I looked at the configuration running under the live CD,
    to see what modules it had loaded, and what settings it had set for
    them, and then simply forced SUSE to load the same modules with the same
    settings. Problem fixed.

    When something works under one distro and not the other, it is generally
    that the latter distro just doesn't detect it right, so it is fixable if
    you can figure out the right settings.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:38:06 +0000, Kier wrote:

    > That Ubuntu is great.
    >
    > So, a round of applause to Ubuntu. Long may it continue.

    Agreed.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  7. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > Kier wrote:
    >> > If you post this in Digg, the mob will burn an effigy of yours. ;-)

    >> Why? I haven't been over to Digg for a while, what do they have against
    >> Ubuntu?

    > Nothing in general. Lots of Ubuntu fans there. But there is a small
    > group that will lecture you about confusing Ubuntu with Linux if you
    > don't point out in your post that Wifi can be made to work on other
    > distros, too. Oddly, Roy is part of that small group, which makes his
    > post here kind of puzzling.

    It is only puzzling if you forget to take into account the main reason
    half the "COLA gang" are here.

    They are here because a long time back they learnt the arguments for ls
    or cd or (and fair play) "find" and they thought they were "l33t".

    That, in their little world, made them special.

    It's why people like Gregory and the rest do not want Linux made easy
    for the masses.

    See the latest posts in the Ubuntu group where ( a decent fellow) Andrew
    thinks that Dell making DVDs play on insert is a "bad thing".

    Most of the gang have no interest in advocating Linux. They only want to
    advocate how clever and ahead of the curve they are.

    And then, of course, we have Willy Poaster and his killfiles. What makes
    him and his ilk tick is beyond me.

  8. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:50:03 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Kier wrote:
    >> > If you post this in Digg, the mob will burn an effigy of yours. ;-)

    >> Why? I haven't been over to Digg for a while, what do they have against
    >> Ubuntu?

    > Nothing in general. Lots of Ubuntu fans there. But there is a small
    > group that will lecture you about confusing Ubuntu with Linux if you
    > don't point out in your post that Wifi can be made to work on other
    > distros, too. Oddly, Roy is part of that small group, which makes his
    > post here kind of puzzling.

    Well, my point was certainly not that other distros are somehow crapp or
    worthless because of this particular issue. I could probably have got the
    Broadcom card working eventually with a number of distros (it was mainly a
    firmware thing, after all, and I have the firmware) but Ubuntu made it
    much easier, even easier than Mepis, whic is the only other distros of
    late that could ever get the card to show signs of life 'out of the box'
    as it were.

    I think Roy's smiley-wink suggests he was pulling my tail a bit, which is
    okay, since I am sometimes hard on him.

    Googling around a while back, I found some info on getting Broadcom to
    work, but the procedure is not identical to all distros, since some deal
    with it differently from others, and the instructions weren't always
    clear. Ubuntu's Restricted Drivers manager had an Enable Broadcom'
    option. Tick the box, ignoring the error message that comes up about
    fwcutter, drop in the firmware and set up, and voila! working wireless. No
    blacklisting of native drivers or trouble with ndiswrapper necessary.

    So, in my book, that means Ubuntu deserves some praise, since the Broadcom
    wifi card has long been a pain in the arse to Linux users.

    If that's supposed to make me some kind of Ubuntu fanboy, then fine,
    I'll happily accept the label. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

    --
    Kier

  9. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 07:36:05 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Tim Smith writes:

    >>> Why? I haven't been over to Digg for a while, what do they have against
    >>> Ubuntu?

    >> Nothing in general. Lots of Ubuntu fans there. But there is a small
    >> group that will lecture you about confusing Ubuntu with Linux if you
    >> don't point out in your post that Wifi can be made to work on other
    >> distros, too. Oddly, Roy is part of that small group, which makes his
    >> post here kind of puzzling.

    > It is only puzzling if you forget to take into account the main reason
    > half the "COLA gang" are here.

    What 'COLA gang'? And what has COLA got to do with Digg, which is where
    the attitude in discussion was mentioned?

    > They are here because a long time back they learnt the arguments for ls
    > or cd or (and fair play) "find" and they thought they were "l33t".

    In my case, at least, you are utterly wrong. And probably that goes for a
    lot of other people here. Frankly, I despise the 'word' l33t, and I don't
    know of anyone here who uses it. That's for silly kids.

    > That, in their little world, made them special.

    Smarter, maybe.

    > It's why people like Gregory and the rest do not want Linux made easy
    > for the masses.

    Some do, some don't.

    > See the latest posts in the Ubuntu group where ( a decent fellow) Andrew
    > thinks that Dell making DVDs play on insert is a "bad thing".

    What reason did he give? Thought personally I'd prefer them not to play
    automatically, it's annoying when all you're trying to do is archive the
    contents, not play it.

    > Most of the gang have no interest in advocating Linux. They only want to
    > advocate how clever and ahead of the curve they are.

    Bollocks.

    --
    Kier

  10. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:53:33 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Kier wrote:
    >> I have this laptop, which is working under openSUSE except for one thing -
    >> wifi - (it has a Broadcom card, one of those awkward ones). At least,
    >> until a few days ago. I decided to try a little experiment, and booted up
    >> with ther latest Ubuntu Live CD. I dropped the firmware for my wifi card
    >> into /lib/firmware, then set it up in the normal way.
    >>
    >> Lo! and behold, it worked! Just like that.
    >>
    >> Now, I really like openSUSe, and I had everything set up just nicely apart
    >> from that card, but... the temptation of working wifi without a lot of
    >> hassle was too much. So I installed Ubuntu.

    > I had a similar situation with sound once. It didn't work under SUSE,
    > but worked under one of the popular live CDs. However, rather than
    > dumping SUSE, I looked at the configuration running under the live CD,
    > to see what modules it had loaded, and what settings it had set for
    > them, and then simply forced SUSE to load the same modules with the same
    > settings. Problem fixed.

    Neat. I probably could've done that eventually.

    > When something works under one distro and not the other, it is generally
    > that the latter distro just doesn't detect it right, so it is fixable if
    > you can figure out the right settings.

    True. But it's nice when you don;'t have to .

    --
    Kier

  11. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    Hadron wrote:

    > Tim Smith writes:

    >>> Why? I haven't been over to Digg for a while, what do they have against
    >>> Ubuntu?

    >> Nothing in general. Lots of Ubuntu fans there. But there is a small
    >> group that will lecture you about confusing Ubuntu with Linux if you
    >> don't point out in your post that Wifi can be made to work on other
    >> distros, too. Oddly, Roy is part of that small group, which makes his
    >> post here kind of puzzling.

    > It is only puzzling if you forget to take into account the main reason
    > half the "COLA gang" are here.

    Half? You've measured it? Do I belong to this gang? I don't think I've been
    here long enough.

    > They are here because a long time back they learnt the arguments for ls
    > or cd or (and fair play) "find" and they thought they were "l33t".

    No.

    > That, in their little world, made them special.

    Everyone is special, except you. 8-)

    > It's why people like Gregory and the rest do not want Linux made easy
    > for the masses.

    It's true I like Linux as it is.

    It's also true that hardware support would be better if more people use it.

    I think you are making up stories about people.

    > See the latest posts in the Ubuntu group where ( a decent fellow) Andrew
    > thinks that Dell making DVDs play on insert is a "bad thing".

    Well, it might be a security risk.

    > Most of the gang have no interest in advocating Linux. They only want to
    > advocate how clever and ahead of the curve they are.

    Who cares at all about your unreasoned opinions?

    > And then, of course, we have Willy Poaster and his killfiles. What makes
    > him and his ilk tick is beyond me.

    Much is beyond you.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  12. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    * Kier fired off this tart reply:

    > Googling around a while back, I found some info on getting Broadcom to
    > work, but the procedure is not identical to all distros, since some deal
    > with it differently from others, and the instructions weren't always
    > clear. Ubuntu's Restricted Drivers manager had an Enable Broadcom'
    > option. Tick the box, ignoring the error message that comes up about
    > fwcutter, ...

    Interesting. I note b43-fwcutter and bcm43xx-fwcutter in aptitude.

    > drop in the firmware and set up, and voila! working wireless. No
    > blacklisting of native drivers or trouble with ndiswrapper necessary.

    This place can be nice to pick up little tidbits to hold in reserve.

    > So, in my book, that means Ubuntu deserves some praise, since the Broadcom
    > wifi card has long been a pain in the arse to Linux users.

    I wonder if Ubuntu handles iwlwifi (for Intel wireless) easily.

    > If that's supposed to make me some kind of Ubuntu fanboy, then fine,
    > I'll happily accept the label. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

    You need that kind of attitude around here!

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 09:56:49 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * Kier fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Googling around a while back, I found some info on getting Broadcom to
    >> work, but the procedure is not identical to all distros, since some deal
    >> with it differently from others, and the instructions weren't always
    >> clear. Ubuntu's Restricted Drivers manager had an Enable Broadcom'
    >> option. Tick the box, ignoring the error message that comes up about
    >> fwcutter, ...

    > Interesting. I note b43-fwcutter and bcm43xx-fwcutter in aptitude.

    You have to have a certain repo enabled, I believe.

    >> drop in the firmware and set up, and voila! working wireless. No
    >> blacklisting of native drivers or trouble with ndiswrapper necessary.

    > This place can be nice to pick up little tidbits to hold in reserve.
    >
    >> So, in my book, that means Ubuntu deserves some praise, since the Broadcom
    >> wifi card has long been a pain in the arse to Linux users.

    > I wonder if Ubuntu handles iwlwifi (for Intel wireless) easily.

    I've no idea. Can't see any reason why not.

    >> If that's supposed to make me some kind of Ubuntu fanboy, then fine,
    >> I'll happily accept the label. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

    > You need that kind of attitude around here!

    You certainly do :-)

    --
    Kier

  14. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    ____/ Kier on Tuesday 01 January 2008 11:13 : \____

    > I think Roy's smiley-wink suggests he was pulling my tail a bit, which is
    > okay, since I am sometimes hard on him.

    No, it's just that I find Digg's anti-Ubuntu protesters amusing.

    Tim lied to you by the way. I'm against the Ubuntu bashers there and I get told
    off for just daring to mentioned Ubuntu.

    Don't listen to anything harlowmokneys, aka Tim Smith, aka
    tim.the.bastard@gmail.com tells you. He's got a vendetta. Even Digg regulars
    saw that and pointed that out.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Charity: compensating for a broken system rather than actually fixing it
    18:00:01 up 22 days, 6:48, 4 users, load average: 0.15, 0.42, 0.70

  15. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 23:01:02 +1100, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:

    >> And then, of course, we have Willy Poaster and his killfiles. What
    >> makes him and his ilk tick is beyond me.

    > Much is beyond you.

    Trolls like Quack, are the lowest form of life on Usenet.
    Virtually everything's beyond him. You've only got to see how bad his
    reading/comprehension is to see that. Calling him a moron is an injustice
    to morons.

    --
    The little scamps! It's the oldest trick in the book:
    capture your ship, turn it into a planet, then explore

  16. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    In article <3461148.LN7qVOYf2H@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Tim lied to you by the way. I'm against the Ubuntu bashers there and
    > I get told off for just daring to mentioned Ubuntu.

    Too bad I didn't say you were for the Ubuntu bashers. What I said was
    that you bitch about people who say "Ubuntu" when saying something that
    would work with other distros. For example, if someone posts an
    article titled "10 neat Ubuntu tips" and they would also work on Fedora
    and SUSE, there's a good chance you'll give them a little lecture on
    how they should not say Ubunutu when they could have said Linux.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  17. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 11:55:58 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <3461148.LN7qVOYf2H@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Tim lied to you by the way. I'm against the Ubuntu bashers there and
    >> I get told off for just daring to mentioned Ubuntu.

    > Too bad I didn't say you were for the Ubuntu bashers. What I said was
    > that you bitch about people who say "Ubuntu" when saying something that
    > would work with other distros. For example, if someone posts an
    > article titled "10 neat Ubuntu tips" and they would also work on Fedora
    > and SUSE, there's a good chance you'll give them a little lecture on
    > how they should not say Ubunutu when they could have said Linux.

    Well, if they mean 'this or that works on Ubuntu and may also work on
    Fedora and SUSE', substituting 'Linux' for 'Ubuntu' would be silly, since
    the tips might very well not work on all distros.

    Once, Red Hat was virtually synonymous with Linux in the general public
    mind. Now it's Ubuntu. What's the big deal? Some day it might be another
    distro. They're all Linux. Those in the the know don't need telling, and
    those not in the know don't care anyway, so where's the big hoo-hah?

    To many outside the UK, Manchester United *is* football (proper football,
    I mean, what some people call soccer). Everyone else knows there are other
    clubs. Man U is just the most successful brand at the moment. If they
    don't stay on top, there'll be another to take theior place, but it'll all
    still be the same game. It's pretty much the same with distros, IMO.

    --
    Kier

  18. Re: Just thought I'd mention...

    * Kier fired off this tart reply:

    > To many outside the UK, Manchester United *is* football (proper football,
    > I mean, what some people call soccer).

    Don't you mean Moancheater Untied?

    > Everyone else knows there are other
    > clubs. Man U is just the most successful brand at the moment. If they
    > don't stay on top, there'll be another to take theior place, but it'll all
    > still be the same game. It's pretty much the same with distros, IMO.

    Actually, when I go to the local Saturday/Sunday pickup games, I see
    Liga Mexicana team shirts, or Milan, or Barcelona.

    Often, too, the players tag someone with the name of someone famous.
    There's a kid who wears a Messi jersey, so you know what they call him.
    Another guys wears a watch-cap, so they call him Sizzla. We have a
    "Cafu" and a "Beckham", too.

    It's a fun group, very little griping.

    --
    GNU/Linux rox, Tux!