Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off? - Linux

This is a discussion on Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off? - Linux ; I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it even possible? Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    even possible?

    Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.

    I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to post
    and I will.

    Thanks!

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  2. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:02:29 -0400, JDS wrote:

    > I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    > overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    > even possible?
    >
    > Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.
    >
    > I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to
    > post and I will.

    I'm assuming by overheated we're talking about a drive that won't turn on
    or spin up?

    If the USB portion is dead you can remove the drive from it's case and
    hook it directly to it's native connector (IDE, SATA, whichever it is) and
    see if it works.

    If you have an identical drive you can swap the logic boards on them and
    see if it will spin up. Keep in mind the same thing that killed the first
    one may kill the second one doing this.

    If the data is worth the cost there are places that do recovery off of
    dead drives (it's not cheap but it costs less than one might expect
    ~$1000.00 US).

    I've used these guys before: http://msurgeon.com/

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  3. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:14:12 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > If the data is worth the cost there are places that do recovery off of
    > dead drives (it's not cheap but it costs less than one might expect
    > ~$1000.00 US).

    Thanks for the advice. All of it.

    The data is not worth very much, I'm afraid. Mostly just **** I've
    downloaded, pictures, and other assorted crap.

    Later...

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  4. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    "JDS" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.08.25.16.02.27.894259@example.invalid...
    >I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    > overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    > even possible?
    >
    > Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.
    >
    > I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to post
    > and I will.
    >
    > Thanks!

    One trick to hard drive recovery is to freeze it and then connect it and try
    again... freezing does wonders and this is how a lot of the data recovery
    places get the broken hard drives working for a few minutes...

  5. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    "Dan J.S." wrote in message

    > "JDS" wrote in message
    > newsan.2005.08.25.16.02.27.894259@example.invalid...
    >>I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    >> overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    >> even possible?
    >>
    >> Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.
    >>
    >> I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to
    >> post
    >> and I will.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > One trick to hard drive recovery is to freeze it and then connect it and
    > try again... freezing does wonders and this is how a lot of the data
    > recovery places get the broken hard drives working for a few minutes...

    How cool does the drive need to get?

  6. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    "Mike King" wrote in message
    > "Dan J.S." wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JDS" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2005.08.25.16.02.27.894259@example.invalid...
    >>>I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    >>> overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    >>> even possible?
    >>>
    >>> Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.
    >>>
    >>> I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to
    >>> post
    >>> and I will.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> One trick to hard drive recovery is to freeze it and then connect it and
    >> try again... freezing does wonders and this is how a lot of the data
    >> recovery places get the broken hard drives working for a few minutes...

    > How cool does the drive need to get?

    leave it in the freezer for 2 - 3 hours...

  7. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:10:47 -0500, Dan J.S. wrote:

    > "Mike King" wrote in message
    >> "Dan J.S." wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "JDS" wrote in message
    >>> newsan.2005.08.25.16.02.27.894259@example.invalid...

    >>> One trick to hard drive recovery is to freeze it and then connect it
    >>> and try again... freezing does wonders and this is how a lot of the
    >>> data recovery places get the broken hard drives working for a few
    >>> minutes...

    >> How cool does the drive need to get?

    > leave it in the freezer for 2 - 3 hours...

    That might work if the drive won't spin up... if it won't power up it
    probably won't do anything.

    Put it in an air tight bag before you put it in the freezer or you'll end
    up with condensation inside the drive. A zip-lock with as much of the air
    as possible squished out of it works.

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  8. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:53:45 -0500, Dan J.S. wrote:

    > One trick to hard drive recovery is to freeze it and then connect it and
    > try again... freezing does wonders and this is how a lot of the data
    > recovery places get the broken hard drives working for a few minutes...

    I'll try it. Are you for real on freezing the thing, though? I can hear
    it now, "snicker snicker, Jeff actually put it in the freezer! Hah ahahha!
    Next thing I told him to and ridiculous suggestion> and he *did* it!"

    (Honestly, except for possibility of condensation, freezing doesn't sound
    too far-fetched.)

    Thanks, later...

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  9. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    JDS wrote:

    >> One trick to hard drive recovery is to freeze it and then connect it
    >> and try again... freezing does wonders and this is how a lot of the
    >> data recovery places get the broken hard drives working for a few
    >> minutes...

    > I'll try it. Are you for real on freezing the thing, though? I can
    > hear it now, "snicker snicker, Jeff actually put it in the freezer!
    > Hah ahahha! Next thing I told him to
    > and and he *did* it!"

    This is just one success story about freezing a drive:

    http://www.meetmyattorney.com/slink/...es/000275.html

    I've heard it many times before. The reasons why it may work are many,
    and it may not make sense to the casual observer. If the disk is dead
    anyway, and you don't plan on sending it in for expensive data recovery,
    it's worth a shot.

    > (Honestly, except for possibility of condensation, freezing doesn't
    > sound too far-fetched.)

    Condensation is definitely something to look out for. Remember that the
    drive is not a hermetically sealed unit, it has a (heavily filtered) air
    gap that will allow moisture in. Also, it might be wise to cool it
    slowly, for instance in the refrigerator for a few hours first.

    --
    PeKaJe

    Linux is not a desktop OS for people whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".
    -- Paul Tomblin

  10. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:13:24 +0000, Peter Jensen wrote:

    > Condensation is definitely something to look out for. Remember that the
    > drive is not a hermetically sealed unit, it has a (heavily filtered) air
    > gap that will allow moisture in. Also, it might be wise to cool it
    > slowly, for instance in the refrigerator for a few hours first.

    How about some silica packets in the plastic bag with the drive?

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  11. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:18:24 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > That might work if the drive won't spin up... if it won't power up it
    > probably won't do anything.

    Allright, so, I got it powered up somehow, maybe just luck. But I have a
    buncha errors. /var/log/messages says:

    Aug 26 10:22:54 newt kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    Aug 26 10:22:55 newt usb.agent[11853]: usb-storage: loaded successfully
    Aug 26 10:22:55 newt kernel: scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: Vendor: Maxtor Model: 6Y160P0 Rev: YAR4
    Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: SCSI device sdb: 320173056 512-byte hdwr sectors (163929 MB)
    Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: SCSI device sdb: 320173056 512-byte hdwr sectors (163929 MB)
    Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: sdb: sdb1
    Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
    Aug 26 10:23:06 newt scsi.agent[11916]: update fstab on add device
    Aug 26 10:23:26 newt kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb1.
    Aug 26 10:23:26 newt kernel: EXT2-fs: sdb1: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (4).
    Aug 26 10:23:26 newt kernel: HFS+-fs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
    Aug 26 10:23:30 newt kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb1.
    Aug 26 10:23:30 newt kernel: EXT2-fs: sdb1: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (4).
    Aug 26 10:23:30 newt kernel: HFS+-fs: unable to find HFS+ superblock

    Any idea how I can get stuff off this thing?

    I am in the process of running 'fsck -a' -- is that a bad idea?

    oops. fsck outputs:

    > fsck -a /dev/sdb1

    fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
    /dev/sdb1: recovering journal
    fsck.ext3: No such device or address while trying to re-open /dev/sdb1
    e2fsck: io manager magic bad!

    and /var/log/messages displays:

    Aug 26 10:26:24 newt kernel: usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 2 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
    Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: SCSI error : <2 0 0 0> return code = 0x50000
    Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 58458559
    Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sdb1
    Aug 26 10:26:25 newt last message repeated 9 times
    Aug 26 10:26:26 newt kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
    Aug 26 10:26:27 newt scsi.agent[12075]: update fstab on remove device
    Aug 26 10:26:27 newt usb.agent[12089]: update fstab on remove device
    Aug 26 10:26:27 newt usb.agent[12151]: usb-storage: loaded successfully
    Aug 26 10:26:27 newt kernel: scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

    Is this thing just plain toast?

    thanks, all!
    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  12. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    JDS wrote:

    >> Condensation is definitely something to look out for. Remember that
    >> the drive is not a hermetically sealed unit, it has a (heavily
    >> filtered) air gap that will allow moisture in. Also, it might be
    >> wise to cool it slowly, for instance in the refrigerator for a few
    >> hours first.

    > How about some silica packets in the plastic bag with the drive?

    Not sure it's worth it. Just freeze the disk for an hour or two, and go
    from there. The odds of this allowing you to at least copy off the data
    aren't that bad. Be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

    --
    PeKaJe

    Horace's best ode would not please a young woman as much as the mediocre
    verses of the young man she is in love with. -- Moore

  13. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    JDS wrote:

    >> That might work if the drive won't spin up... if it won't power up it
    >> probably won't do anything.

    > Allright, so, I got it powered up somehow, maybe just luck. But I
    > have a buncha errors. /var/log/messages says:
    >
    > Aug 26 10:22:54 newt kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    > Aug 26 10:22:55 newt usb.agent[11853]: usb-storage: loaded successfully
    > Aug 26 10:22:55 newt kernel: scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    > Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: Vendor: Maxtor Model: 6Y160P0 Rev: YAR4
    > Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    > Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: SCSI device sdb: 320173056 512-byte hdwr sectors (163929 MB)
    > Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: SCSI device sdb: 320173056 512-byte hdwr sectors (163929 MB)
    > Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: sdb: sdb1
    > Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    > Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
    > Aug 26 10:23:06 newt scsi.agent[11916]: update fstab on add device
    > Aug 26 10:23:26 newt kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb1.
    > Aug 26 10:23:26 newt kernel: EXT2-fs: sdb1: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (4).
    > Aug 26 10:23:26 newt kernel: HFS+-fs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
    > Aug 26 10:23:30 newt kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb1.
    > Aug 26 10:23:30 newt kernel: EXT2-fs: sdb1: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (4).
    > Aug 26 10:23:30 newt kernel: HFS+-fs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
    >

    > Any idea how I can get stuff off this thing?

    Start by taking it out of the USB case and actually put it in the
    computer. Best to eliminate as many points of failure as possible, it
    might just be the USB case electronics that is acting up.

    > I am in the process of running 'fsck -a' -- is that a bad idea?
    >
    > oops. fsck outputs:
    >
    >> fsck -a /dev/sdb1

    > fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
    > /dev/sdb1: recovering journal
    > fsck.ext3: No such device or address while trying to re-open /dev/sdb1
    > e2fsck: io manager magic bad!

    What file system was on that thing?

    > and /var/log/messages displays:
    >
    > Aug 26 10:26:24 newt kernel: usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    > Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    > Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 2 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
    > Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: SCSI error : <2 0 0 0> return code = 0x50000
    > Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 58458559
    > Aug 26 10:26:25 newt kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sdb1
    > Aug 26 10:26:25 newt last message repeated 9 times
    > Aug 26 10:26:26 newt kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
    > Aug 26 10:26:27 newt scsi.agent[12075]: update fstab on remove device
    > Aug 26 10:26:27 newt usb.agent[12089]: update fstab on remove device
    > Aug 26 10:26:27 newt usb.agent[12151]: usb-storage: loaded successfully
    > Aug 26 10:26:27 newt kernel: scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    >

    > Is this thing just plain toast?

    I wouldn't write it off just yet ...

    --
    PeKaJe

    Elwood: What kind of music do you get here ma'am?
    Barmaid: Why, we get both kinds of music, Country and Western.

  14. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:42:17 -0400, JDS wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:53:45 -0500, Dan J.S. wrote:
    >
    >> One trick to hard drive recovery is to freeze it and then connect it and
    >> try again... freezing does wonders and this is how a lot of the data
    >> recovery places get the broken hard drives working for a few minutes...

    > I'll try it. Are you for real on freezing the thing, though? I can hear
    > it now, "snicker snicker, Jeff actually put it in the freezer! Hah ahahha!
    > Next thing I told him to and > ridiculous suggestion> and he *did* it!"
    >
    > (Honestly, except for possibility of condensation, freezing doesn't sound
    > too far-fetched.)
    >
    > Thanks, later...

    I actually kept a drive running for almost 30 minutes with a can of Super
    Cold. It's a spray you can get at the electronics supply store that when
    sprayed on one or several components gets very cold. I had identified the
    offending drive chip on the hard drive printed circuit board and kept it
    nice and frosty. Lot's of time to get a good image off of it. The one thing
    this all depends on is that the failure is actually an electronic component
    that has a thermal issue. I will tell you that this is quite comman and
    accounts for many failed drives, but it isn't necessarily a forgone
    conclusion.

    So putting it in the freezer will buy you some up time if you have a
    thermal issue for sure, a can of cold spray will keep you up for as long as
    you can keep it cold or the offending component finally gives up.

    --
    HK

  15. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:27:46 -0400, JDS wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:18:24 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> That might work if the drive won't spin up... if it won't power up it
    >> probably won't do anything.

    > Allright, so, I got it powered up somehow, maybe just luck. But I have a
    > buncha errors. /var/log/messages says:

    > Aug 26 10:23:00 newt kernel: Vendor: Maxtor Model: 6Y160P0

    Hmm. I've seen more than one of those with problems in recent months.
    One of them was mine....

    > Any idea how I can get stuff off this thing?

    I got all the data off mine, except for the contents of one partition, by
    systematically mounting each partition in turn. Of course that will fail
    for a screwed up partition.

    > I am in the process of running 'fsck -a' -- is that a bad idea?

    Dunno. Can it hurt?

    > Is this thing just plain toast?

    I thought mine was, but after getting the data off it I ran all the Maxtor
    disk tools (from their website) on it. They diagnosed a hardware error.
    But then I gave it a fresh format using those same tools, and the error
    went away. It's been fine for a few months now, and the warranty still has
    over a year to run so I'm waiting and seeing. I'll never trust it
    completely though :-)

    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx | tr [a-z] [n-za-m]

  16. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    Mark South wrote:

    >> Is this thing just plain toast?

    > I thought mine was, but after getting the data off it I ran all the
    > Maxtor disk tools (from their website) on it. They diagnosed a
    > hardware error. But then I gave it a fresh format using those same
    > tools, and the error went away.

    Turn on S.M.A.R.T (if you haven't already) and check the logs with
    smartctl. Does it have a reallocated sector count higher than 0? If
    so, the error will eventually pop up somewhere else.

    > It's been fine for a few months now, and the warranty still has over a
    > year to run so I'm waiting and seeing. I'll never trust it completely
    > though :-)

    I have a drive like that, which I use for USB mass storage of rarely
    used non-critical data. It went flaky in an odd way ... It would get
    *incredibly* slow at times for no apparent reason, so after a few weeks
    I just ordered a new drive to clone the data to (I was running low on
    space anyway). Strangely the flakiness vanished shortly after I ordered
    the new drive, and it has never shown itself again. I don't really
    trust it as such, but it works fine for what it currently does ...

    --
    PeKaJe

    It doesn't much signify whom one marries, for one is sure to find out
    next morning it was someone else. -- Will Rogers

  17. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:27:11 +0000, Peter Jensen wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    >>> Is this thing just plain toast?

    >> I thought mine was, but after getting the data off it I ran all the
    >> Maxtor disk tools (from their website) on it. They diagnosed a
    >> hardware error. But then I gave it a fresh format using those same
    >> tools, and the error went away.

    > Turn on S.M.A.R.T (if you haven't already) and check the logs with
    > smartctl. Does it have a reallocated sector count higher than 0? If
    > so, the error will eventually pop up somewhere else.

    Yup. Fine so far, but I won't be surprised to find grief in the logs.

    >> It's been fine for a few months now, and the warranty still has over a
    >> year to run so I'm waiting and seeing. I'll never trust it completely
    >> though :-)

    > I have a drive like that, which I use for USB mass storage of rarely
    > used non-critical data.

    Moi aussi. Mine is used for storing music and .iso images that are
    replaceable.

    > It went flaky in an odd way ... It would get
    > *incredibly* slow at times for no apparent reason, so after a few weeks
    > I just ordered a new drive to clone the data to (I was running low on
    > space anyway). Strangely the flakiness vanished shortly after I ordered
    > the new drive, and it has never shown itself again. I don't really
    > trust it as such, but it works fine for what it currently does ...

    I wonder how the drives KNOW that you are thinking of replacing them...?
    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx | tr [a-z] [n-za-m]

  18. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get thedata off?

    JDS wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:53:45 -0500, Dan J.S. wrote:
    >

    >>One trick to hard drive recovery is to freeze it and then connect it and
    >>try again... freezing does wonders and this is how a lot of the data
    >>recovery places get the broken hard drives working for a few minutes...

    > I'll try it. Are you for real on freezing the thing, though? I can hear
    > it now, "snicker snicker, Jeff actually put it in the freezer! Hah ahahha!
    > Next thing I told him to and > ridiculous suggestion> and he *did* it!"
    >
    > (Honestly, except for possibility of condensation, freezing doesn't sound
    > too far-fetched.)
    >
    > Thanks, later...

    I got my wife's laptop drive to work that way. It took me 4 cycles in
    the freezer to get the data off. Each cycle involved getting data off
    until the drive started to wig out, then back into the freezer it went.

    A note of caution - if you live in an area with even modest humidity,
    exposing a cold drive to air will cause condensation to form. If you're
    going to put the drive through cycles, you should force the condensate
    to evaporate between cycles. One way would be to put the drive in the
    oven. But this would be too similar to your "then I told him to in embarrassing situation>" scheme. Instead, hit the drive with a hair
    dryer for a few minutes to heat it back up and drive the moisture off
    before putting it back in a bag and back in the freezer.

    I agree with the recommendation that you take the drive out of the USB
    casing and attach it directly to your computer's bus.

    Good luck. I hope you manage to save all your pr0n.

  19. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:35:34 +0000, Ari Rankum wrote:

    > Good luck. I hope you manage to save all your pr0n.

    Ha! No pr0n, just Oggs.

    In any case, here is the update:

    I did not try freezing the drive[1]. I opened the case up, turned the
    thing upside-down, fiddled with the cords a bit, and voila! the thing was
    mountable. I quickly copied all the stuff I wanted to save to a working
    hard drive and then burnt to DVD.

    Not sure if I am going to use this drive anymore but I guess the answer is
    that I can't -- I no longer trust it to be viable.

    Thanks for the help everyone!

    [1] The drive in question is a LaCie USB 160GB disk,
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10387

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  20. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get thedata off?

    JDS wrote:
    > I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    > overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    > even possible?
    >
    > Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.
    >
    > I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to post
    > and I will.
    >
    > Thanks!

    power problems do as they say and put in computer I.E.(number one
    computer problem is the POWER SUPPLY ) oh wait does it get power from
    usb or plugin

    #include xenophed@charter.net
    #DEFINE M$ = "sucks"

+ Reply to Thread