Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off? - Linux

This is a discussion on Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off? - Linux ; Dean Plude writes: >JDS wrote: >> I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it >> overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it >> even possible? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    Dean Plude writes:

    >JDS wrote:
    >> I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    >> overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    >> even possible?

    Did the drive overheat or did the on board stuff fry? (It is hard to imagine
    overheating from a usb power since that is only about 3 watts max).

    >> Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.

    utilities cannot fix hardware. You might try removing the hard drive itself
    and putting it into anther usb caddy. If it is only the electronics that
    fried that might allow you to recover the drive. If it is the drive itself,
    you need to send it out for recovery. That could cost from $50 to $50000
    depending on how badly you want the data.

    >> I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to post
    >> and I will.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

  2. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get thedata off?

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 00:42:01 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > If it is the drive itself,
    > you need to send it out for recovery. That could cost from $50 to $50000
    > depending on how badly you want the data.

    But it might be worth trying the "leave it in a sealed plastic bag in the
    freezer overnight" trick - sometimes the drive will work long wnough to
    get the data off.

  3. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get thedata off?

    Dean Plude wrote:
    > JDS wrote:
    >> I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    >> overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    >> even possible?
    >>
    >> Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.
    >>
    >> I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to
    >> post
    >> and I will.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > power problems do as they say and put in computer I.E.(number one
    > computer problem is the POWER SUPPLY ) oh wait does it get power from
    > usb or plugin
    >
    > #include xenophed@charter.net
    > #DEFINE M$ = "sucks"

    If there is any software that could fix it , it would be Steve Gibson's
    (grc.com) spinrite , people claim that it is the best hard drive utility
    ever created , and it is OS independent , it is however 80 bucks ...
    so it really depends ... is your data worth 80 bucks ? , also ... is
    this a regular hard drive that you put in a usb enclosure , or a
    pre-built USB drive (like the western digital my-book) , because if it
    is one of those , your going to have to figure out a way to attach it to
    your PC via IDE or SATA,
    also you can get spinrite at http://spinrite.info

  4. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get thedata off?

    Dean Plude wrote:
    > JDS wrote:
    >> I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    >> overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    >> even possible?
    >>
    >> Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.
    >>
    >> I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to
    >> post
    >> and I will.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > power problems do as they say and put in computer I.E.(number one
    > computer problem is the POWER SUPPLY ) oh wait does it get power from
    > usb or plugin
    >
    > #include xenophed@charter.net
    > #DEFINE M$ = "sucks"

    If there is any software that could fix it , it would be Steve Gibson's
    (grc.com) spinrite , people claim that it is the best hard drive utility
    ever created , and it is OS independent , it is however 80 bucks ...
    so it really depends ... is your data worth 80 bucks ? , also ... is
    this a regular hard drive that you put in a usb enclosure , or a
    pre-built USB drive (like the western digital my-book) , because if it
    is one of those , your going to have to figure out a way to attach it to
    your PC via IDE or SATA,
    also you can get spinrite at http://spinrite.info

  5. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get thedata off?

    Dean Plude wrote:
    > JDS wrote:
    >> I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    >> overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    >> even possible?
    >>
    >> Any kind of pointers to utilities or techniques would be great.
    >>
    >> I realize I have not given a lot of information here; tell me what to
    >> post
    >> and I will.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > power problems do as they say and put in computer I.E.(number one
    > computer problem is the POWER SUPPLY ) oh wait does it get power from
    > usb or plugin
    >
    > #include xenophed@charter.net
    > #DEFINE M$ = "sucks"

    If there is any software that could fix it , it would be Steve Gibson's
    (grc.com) spinrite , people claim that it is the best hard drive utility
    ever created , and it is OS independent , it is however 80 bucks ...
    so it really depends ... is your data worth 80 bucks ? , also ... is
    this a regular hard drive that you put in a usb enclosure , or a
    pre-built USB drive (like the western digital my-book) , because if it
    is one of those , your going to have to figure out a way to attach it to
    your PC via IDE or SATA,
    also you can get spinrite at http://spinrite.info

  6. Re: Ooops, I killed a hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the data off?

    "Michael Donaghy" wrote in message
    > Dean Plude wrote:
    >> JDS wrote:
    >>> I have an external USB hard drive that is now dead. I think it
    >>> overheated. Any ideas on how I can at least get the data off, or is it
    >>> even possible?

    All of my USB drive failures have been with the USB electronics. Removing
    the drive and connecting inside the computer might be all that you need to
    do to get at your data.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2