People do NOT want Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on People do NOT want Vista - Linux ; * Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply: > On Dec 30, 8:03 pm, "DFS" wrote: > >> 64-bit Vista superlatives: >> >> Really the Ultimate! >> A Step Up >> . . . >> MICROSOFT ROCKS! >> Pleasantly Suprised! ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: People do NOT want Vista

    * Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply:

    > On Dec 30, 8:03 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >
    >> 64-bit Vista superlatives:
    >>
    >> Really the Ultimate!
    >> A Step Up
    >> . . .
    >> MICROSOFT ROCKS!
    >> Pleasantly Suprised!
    >> Fantastic
    >>

    > Of course all of these have CONs as well
    >
    > USB Drive Speed is painfully slow
    > Painful Search for Drivers
    > WebMail stinks
    > . . .
    > Activation can be a pain if u buy new hardware often
    > I'm getting BSOD's left and right with my new MOBO
    >
    > There were LOTS of negative remarks from people who rated it fair or
    > poor (58 reviewers).

    (more of Rex kicking DFS' ass snipped)

    Rex trumped DFS. Wish I had the time and typing speed!

    --
    Tux rox!

  2. Re: People do NOT want Vista

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:57:54 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * SW fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:44:54 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * SW fired off this tart reply:

    >>> If I double the length, width, and height of a cube, by what factor
    >>> does its volume change?

    >> Linonut and Dick talk the same **** as the kook
    >> Great1/Wise1/Sage1/Oldtech/Nerdwizard/AHappyCamper/pberry26.

    > You're a real mathematician, you are. Too bad you can't get the Hypatia
    > treatment.

    Doesn't the CIA call that "Waterboarding"?

  3. Re: People do NOT want Vista

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 21:35:21 -0600, alt wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:57:54 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * SW fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Linonut and Dick talk the same **** as the kook
    >>> Great1/Wise1/Sage1/Oldtech/Nerdwizard/AHappyCamper/pberry26.

    >> You're a real mathematician, you are. Too bad you can't get the Hypatia
    >> treatment.

    > Doesn't the CIA call that "Waterboarding"?

    While the rest of us call it what it is: Torture.

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: People do NOT want Vista

    "Kier" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.01.01.11.24.25.259073@tiscali.co.uk...
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 21:35:21 -0600, alt wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:57:54 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * SW fired off this tart reply:

    >>> You're a real mathematician, you are. Too bad you can't get the
    >>> Hypatia
    >>> treatment.

    >> Doesn't the CIA call that "Waterboarding"?

    > While the rest of us call it what it is: Torture.

    So let's look at a hypothetical case. If a terrorist plants a bomb that
    will kill thousands of innocent people and that terrorist is caught.
    According to you we should politely ask the terrorist where this
    bomb/biological device is. If the terrorist doesn't tell us after we ask
    nicely we should *not* do whatever is necessary to get the information from
    him.

    Is this your position... that torture should *never* be used?

  5. Re: People do NOT want Vista

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 09:38:47 -0500, Antonio Murphie wrote:

    > "Kier" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.01.01.11.24.25.259073@tiscali.co.uk...

    >>> Doesn't the CIA call that "Waterboarding"?

    >> While the rest of us call it what it is: Torture.

    > So let's look at a hypothetical case. If a terrorist plants a bomb that
    > will kill thousands of innocent people and that terrorist is caught.
    > According to you we should politely ask the terrorist where this

    No, that isn't what I said, so don't say that it is. Few situations are
    ever that black and white outside of Hollywood.

    > bomb/biological device is. If the terrorist doesn't tell us after we ask
    > nicely we should *not* do whatever is necessary to get the information
    > from him.
    >
    > Is this your position... that torture should *never* be used?

    If at all possible, yes, it should not be used. In such a situation,
    maybe. But at least be honest about what it is, and don't pretend that
    it's right.

    If we condemn its use by the enemy, we cannot turn around and condone it
    for ourselves.

    In any case, it very rarely produces the answers you want.

    --
    Kier

  6. Re: People do NOT want Vista

    Antonio Murphie wrote:

    > So let's look at a hypothetical case. If a terrorist plants a bomb that
    > will kill thousands of innocent people and that terrorist is caught.
    > According to you we should politely ask the terrorist where this
    > bomb/biological device is. If the terrorist doesn't tell us after we ask
    > nicely we should *not* do whatever is necessary to get the information from
    > him.
    >
    > Is this your position... that torture should *never* be used?

    Wait, I haven't seen that episode of 24 yet; don't tell me how it
    ends!

    That problem with your scenario is it never happens in the real world.
    'High value suspects' are NOT being tortured over suitcase nukes that
    are about to go off any minute. Torture is being used as a general
    interrogation tool. We try to excuse it by saying it is only used on
    'really bad guys'... but how do you decide who the 'really bad guys'
    are? What sort of due process is followed? Do you use confessions
    obtained through torture to decide if someone should be tortured? If
    some guy turns in his neighbor for a $5000 reward, can we be certain
    the suspect is guilt? Given some of the known cases in recent years of
    innocent people being imprisoned and tortured for several years before
    being released, our system of determining who the 'super evil terrorist
    bad guys deserving of torture' is far from perfect. Indeed, all it
    really does is betray everything our founding fathers set out to
    accomplish with this nation. It hands the terrorists a victory by
    lowering us to their level.

    Lets imagine for a moment that your daughter is picked up as a
    terrorist suspect. Perhaps a college acquaintance with actual
    terrorist ties uses her computer and leaves a trail of evidence.
    Perhaps it is just hijacked remotely and used as a relay.
    Nevertheless, the evidence looks like she sent messages related
    to an imminent terrorist attack. Should your daughter be picked
    up, waterboarded, sexually humiliated, tortured in any way necessary
    to learn the truth about the attack? Remember, lives are on the
    line... millions could die.

    Once we cross that line into justifying torture, it gets blurry and
    easier to cross. The slippery slope to a police state is oiled with
    the blood of innocent people.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

+ Reply to Thread