PCLinuxOS - Linux

This is a discussion on PCLinuxOS - Linux ; I had used PCLinuxOS for quite a while and really liked it. It was installed on an old Celeron-based machine that I really hated. Recently I did an upgrade for a guy ...and took his old XP-3200 mobo/cpu/ram as trade ...

  1. PCLinuxOS

    I had used PCLinuxOS for quite a while and really liked it.
    It was installed on an old Celeron-based machine that I really hated.

    Recently I did an upgrade for a guy ...and took his old XP-3200 mobo/cpu/ram
    as trade
    and built a new machine.

    As long as I was changing things...I figured I might as well try Mepis...
    so I blew away my PCLOS and installed Mepis.

    Decided I did not like it...so downloaded the newest release of PCLOS.

    On first boot I was (momentarily) shocked to find my old desktop back...
    along with all my previous settings etc!!!!

    Of course! I never formatted my /home partition...
    so I was all good to go!

  2. Re: PCLinuxOS

    "philo" writes:

    > I had used PCLinuxOS for quite a while and really liked it.
    > It was installed on an old Celeron-based machine that I really hated.
    >
    > Recently I did an upgrade for a guy ...and took his old XP-3200 mobo/cpu/ram
    > as trade
    > and built a new machine.
    >
    > As long as I was changing things...I figured I might as well try Mepis...
    > so I blew away my PCLOS and installed Mepis.
    >
    > Decided I did not like it...so downloaded the newest release of PCLOS.
    >
    > On first boot I was (momentarily) shocked to find my old desktop back...
    > along with all my previous settings etc!!!!
    >
    > Of course! I never formatted my /home partition...
    > so I was all good to go!

    err, what did you expect?

  3. Re: PCLinuxOS

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "philo" writes:
    >
    > > I had used PCLinuxOS for quite a while and really liked it.
    > > It was installed on an old Celeron-based machine that I really hated.
    > >
    > > Recently I did an upgrade for a guy ...and took his old XP-3200

    mobo/cpu/ram
    > > as trade
    > > and built a new machine.
    > >
    > > As long as I was changing things...I figured I might as well try

    Mepis...
    > > so I blew away my PCLOS and installed Mepis.
    > >
    > > Decided I did not like it...so downloaded the newest release of PCLOS.
    > >
    > > On first boot I was (momentarily) shocked to find my old desktop back...
    > > along with all my previous settings etc!!!!
    > >
    > > Of course! I never formatted my /home partition...
    > > so I was all good to go!

    > err, what did you expect?

    I *thought* I had formatted the /home partition when I installed Mepis...
    that was why I was so surprised (for about three seconds)

  4. Re: PCLinuxOS

    "philo" writes:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >> "philo" writes:
    >>
    >> > I had used PCLinuxOS for quite a while and really liked it.
    >> > It was installed on an old Celeron-based machine that I really hated.
    >> >
    >> > Recently I did an upgrade for a guy ...and took his old XP-3200

    > mobo/cpu/ram
    >> > as trade
    >> > and built a new machine.
    >> >
    >> > As long as I was changing things...I figured I might as well try

    > Mepis...
    >> > so I blew away my PCLOS and installed Mepis.
    >> >
    >> > Decided I did not like it...so downloaded the newest release of PCLOS.
    >> >
    >> > On first boot I was (momentarily) shocked to find my old desktop back...
    >> > along with all my previous settings etc!!!!
    >> >
    >> > Of course! I never formatted my /home partition...
    >> > so I was all good to go!

    >> err, what did you expect?

    > I *thought* I had formatted the /home partition when I installed Mepis...
    > that was why I was so surprised (for about three seconds)

    One would have thought that when you reinstalled and purposely pointed
    to the existing /home partition you would have known. Mepis must have a
    horrible installer if you thought you had overritten your home. Tell me,
    did you not mount the /home in Mepis too?

  5. Re: PCLinuxOS

    PCLOS.

    back...

    > >> err, what did you expect?

    > > I *thought* I had formatted the /home partition when I installed

    Mepis...
    > > that was why I was so surprised (for about three seconds)

    > One would have thought that when you reinstalled and purposely pointed
    > to the existing /home partition you would have known. Mepis must have a
    > horrible installer if you thought you had overritten your home. Tell me,
    > did you not mount the /home in Mepis too?

    I installed Mepis a while back
    and only used it once . It only took me a few minutes to realize that I did
    not like it.
    (The first time I logged out...then entire system froze)

    I had the drive set aside and it was not in use for a long time...
    so I had forgotten that I never bothered to format the /home partition when
    I installed it

  6. Re: PCLinuxOS

    ____/ philo on Sunday 30 December 2007 23:25 : \____

    > I had used PCLinuxOS for quite a while and really liked it.
    > It was installed on an old Celeron-based machine that I really hated.
    >
    > Recently I did an upgrade for a guy ...and took his old XP-3200 mobo/cpu/ram
    > as trade
    > and built a new machine.
    >
    > As long as I was changing things...I figured I might as well try Mepis...
    > so I blew away my PCLOS and installed Mepis.
    >
    > Decided I did not like it...so downloaded the newest release of PCLOS.
    >
    > On first boot I was (momentarily) shocked to find my old desktop back...
    > along with all my previous settings etc!!!!
    >
    > Of course! I never formatted my /home partition...
    > so I was all good to go!

    Grafting and dropping entire accounts/user directories is also a
    nice 'feature'. Just copy your /home/ directory from one computer to
    another and you're good to go. No setup needed. No customisation needed. This
    means that 'reinstalling'/changing the O/S can be a matter of minutes (less
    than an hour). With a list of installed software and yum/apt handling multiple
    installations, this isn't an issue either.

    Got to love Linux...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O
    roy pts/2 cg093a.halls.man Sun Dec 30 18:40 still logged in

  7. Re: PCLinuxOS

    >Quack snotted:
    >>
    >> err, what did you expect?

    He probably expected you to snot on his thread, asshole.

  8. Re: PCLinuxOS

    chrisv writes:

    >>Quack snotted:
    >>>
    >>> err, what did you expect?

    > He probably expected you to snot on his thread, asshole.

    Another great advocacy post from new Pan adopter chrisv!

    LOL!

  9. Re: PCLinuxOS

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ____/ philo on Sunday 30 December 2007 23:25 : \____
    >
    > > I had used PCLinuxOS for quite a while and really liked it.
    > > It was installed on an old Celeron-based machine that I really hated.
    > >
    > > Recently I did an upgrade for a guy ...and took his old XP-3200

    mobo/cpu/ram
    > > as trade
    > > and built a new machine.
    > >
    > > As long as I was changing things...I figured I might as well try

    Mepis...
    > > so I blew away my PCLOS and installed Mepis.
    > >
    > > Decided I did not like it...so downloaded the newest release of PCLOS.
    > >
    > > On first boot I was (momentarily) shocked to find my old desktop back...
    > > along with all my previous settings etc!!!!
    > >
    > > Of course! I never formatted my /home partition...
    > > so I was all good to go!

    > Grafting and dropping entire accounts/user directories is also a
    > nice 'feature'. Just copy your /home/ directory from one computer to
    > another and you're good to go. No setup needed. No customisation needed.

    This
    > means that 'reinstalling'/changing the O/S can be a matter of minutes

    (less
    > than an hour). With a list of installed software and yum/apt handling

    multiple
    > installations, this isn't an issue either.
    >
    > Got to love Linux...

    Yes!
    It's an outstandingly good feature!!!!

+ Reply to Thread