Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files...... - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files...... - Linux ; * jim fired off this tart reply: > Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files > > Nothing against Microsoft....just thought you may need to know. > > jim Then wny did you stick a linux ng into the xpost? We ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    * jim fired off this tart reply:

    > Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files
    >
    > Nothing against Microsoft....just thought you may need to know.
    >
    > jim

    Then wny did you stick a linux ng into the xpost? We would be highly
    unlikely to use WHS, when we have NFS, Samba, sshfs, AFS, and probably a
    few other distributed file systems available to us.

    --
    Tux rox!

  2. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    Linonut wrote:

    > * jim fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files
    >>
    >> Nothing against Microsoft....just thought you may need to know.
    >>
    >> jim

    > Then wny did you stick a linux ng into the xpost? We would be highly
    > unlikely to use WHS, when we have NFS, Samba, sshfs, AFS, and probably a
    > few other distributed file systems available to us.

    Indeed, yet another INNOVA~1 Microsoft solution for a nonexistent problem.

    Jeez, I've been running a Home File Server on GNU/Linux for about a decade.

    Cheers

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  3. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    ____/ ml2mst on Sunday 30 December 2007 16:29 : \____

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * jim fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files
    >>>
    >>> Nothing against Microsoft....just thought you may need to know.
    >>>
    >>> jim

    >> Then wny did you stick a linux ng into the xpost? We would be highly
    >> unlikely to use WHS, when we have NFS, Samba, sshfs, AFS, and probably a
    >> few other distributed file systems available to us.

    > Indeed, yet another INNOVA~1 Microsoft solution for a nonexistent problem.
    >
    > Jeez, I've been running a Home File Server on GNU/Linux for about a decade.
    >
    > Cheers

    Windows Home Server.

    "If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good."

    --Bill Gates, Microsoft

  4. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:N5Odj.55828$L%6.13732@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    >* jim fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files
    >>
    >> Nothing against Microsoft....just thought you may need to know.
    >>
    >> jim

    > Then wny did you stick a linux ng into the xpost? We would be highly
    > unlikely to use WHS, when we have NFS, Samba, sshfs, AFS, and probably a
    > few other distributed file systems available to us.

    Most of the actual posters of this group that I have read also must support
    users that use Microsoft software. They will find this information useful
    if they find themselves having to support Microsoft's Windows Home Server.

    There are trolls here that only live to praise Linux and bash Microsoft, but
    I wasn't really aiming for them.

    jim

  5. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    jim wrote:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:N5Odj.55828$L%6.13732@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>* jim fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files
    >>>
    >>> Nothing against Microsoft....just thought you may need to know.
    >>>
    >>> jim

    >> Then wny did you stick a linux ng into the xpost? We would be highly
    >> unlikely to use WHS, when we have NFS, Samba, sshfs, AFS, and probably a
    >> few other distributed file systems available to us.

    > Most of the actual posters of this group that I have read also must
    > support users that use Microsoft software.

    Well, they would support them with a real server. That excludes
    automatically anything coming from MS
    You are aware that using windows on client machines does not make it
    necessary to use it on the server also?

    > They will find this information useful
    > if they find themselves having to support Microsoft's Windows Home Server.

    I certainly can't see any circumstances where I would find myself in such a
    dismal situation

    > There are trolls here that only live to praise Linux and bash Microsoft,
    > but I wasn't really aiming for them.
    >
    > jim

    Well, you can be reasonably sure that few (except the dumbest of posters,
    like DFS, billwg or Hadron Quark) would ever recommend using WHS.
    It is far easier to set up a linux server doing more with less than that
    POS.
    Why anyone would feel a need to use such garbage is a mystery

    And no, you will be hardpressed to find "linux trolls" on linux newsgroups.
    You will find plenty of single-digit-IQ windows trolls, though

  6. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > jim wrote:
    >>
    >> There are trolls here that only live to praise Linux and bash
    >> Microsoft, but I wasn't really aiming for them.

    Yeah, right, "jim". You're not a troll, are you?

    > Well, you can be reasonably sure that few (except the dumbest of
    > posters, like DFS, billwg or Hadron Quark) would ever recommend using
    > WHS. It is far easier to set up a linux server doing more with less than
    > that POS.
    > Why anyone would feel a need to use such garbage is a mystery
    >
    > And no, you will be hardpressed to find "linux trolls" on linux
    > newsgroups. You will find plenty of single-digit-IQ windows trolls,
    > though

    This "jim" sounds a lot like Quack. I wonder how long before degrades
    into full-on troll-mode.

  7. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    chrisv writes:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> jim wrote:
    >>>
    >>> There are trolls here that only live to praise Linux and bash
    >>> Microsoft, but I wasn't really aiming for them.

    > Yeah, right, "jim". You're not a troll, are you?
    >
    >> Well, you can be reasonably sure that few (except the dumbest of
    >> posters, like DFS, billwg or Hadron Quark) would ever recommend using
    >> WHS. It is far easier to set up a linux server doing more with less than
    >> that POS.
    >> Why anyone would feel a need to use such garbage is a mystery
    >>
    >> And no, you will be hardpressed to find "linux trolls" on linux
    >> newsgroups. You will find plenty of single-digit-IQ windows trolls,
    >> though

    > This "jim" sounds a lot like Quack. I wonder how long before degrades
    > into full-on troll-mode.

    I see you have moved to using Pan. Well done.

    LOL!

  8. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    * Peter Khlmann fired off this tart reply:

    > jim wrote:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:N5Odj.55828$L%6.13732@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>>* jim fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Then wny did you stick a linux ng into the xpost? We would be highly
    >>> unlikely to use WHS, when we have NFS, Samba, sshfs, AFS, and probably a
    >>> few other distributed file systems available to us.

    >> Most of the actual posters of this group that I have read also must
    >> support users that use Microsoft software.

    >> They will find this information useful
    >> if they find themselves having to support Microsoft's Windows Home Server.

    > I certainly can't see any circumstances where I would find myself in such a
    > dismal situation

    Especially in a business. Why would /any/ business use Windows Home
    Server?

    > --

  9. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:rv7ej.56531$L%6.6463@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .
    >* Peter Khlmann fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>> news:N5Odj.55828$L%6.13732@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> Most of the actual posters of this group that I have read also must
    >>> support users that use Microsoft software.

    >>> They will find this information useful
    >>> if they find themselves having to support Microsoft's Windows Home
    >>> Server.

    >> I certainly can't see any circumstances where I would find myself in such
    >> dismal situation

    > Especially in a business. Why would /any/ business use Windows Home
    > Server?

    I find it very hard to believe that you people are this stupid.

    People that do tech support are not relegated to only supporting businesses.
    Believe it or not, there are home users that are supported by computer
    technicians.

    All support people do not have the luxury of telling their supervisors what
    they will and will not service when going on a tech support call or the
    luxury of only supporting one OS to the exclusion of all others. No
    friends, other computer technicians must actually work. At times, that
    means supporting technologies that you may not like, may not use personally
    and may even have valid reasons to not deploy - when given the option.

    If you do not understand this (and I think all of the repliers thus far do)
    you should not be replying to this thread.

    If you do understand this, you are simply a troll (something I was told was
    quite rare in comp.os.linux.advocacy - evidentally that was a lie).

    jim

  10. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    jim wrote:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:rv7ej.56531$L%6.6463@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>* Peter Khlmann fired off this tart reply:

    >>> I certainly can't see any circumstances where I would find myself in
    >>> such a
    >>> dismal situation

    >> Especially in a business. Why would /any/ business use Windows Home
    >> Server?

    > I find it very hard to believe that you people are this stupid.
    >
    > People that do tech support are not relegated to only supporting
    > businesses. Believe it or not, there are home users that are supported by
    > computer technicians.
    >
    > All support people do not have the luxury of telling their supervisors
    > what they will and will not service when going on a tech support call or
    > the
    > luxury of only supporting one OS to the exclusion of all others. No
    > friends, other computer technicians must actually work. At times, that
    > means supporting technologies that you may not like, may not use
    > personally and may even have valid reasons to not deploy - when given the
    > option.
    >
    > If you do not understand this (and I think all of the repliers thus far
    > do) you should not be replying to this thread.
    >
    > If you do understand this, you are simply a troll (something I was told
    > was quite rare in comp.os.linux.advocacy - evidentally that was a lie).
    >
    > jim

    What you fail to understand is that there *are* people who do have the
    luxury to tell those guys who absolutely want that garbage WHS that then
    they can do their own maintenance
    After all, they are dumb enough to buy that POS in the first place
    --
    A NT server can be run by idiots and usually is

  11. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    ____/ Richard Rasker on Tuesday 01 January 2008 01:49 : \____

    > I'm with you so far. I'm one of those technicians.

    You ought to end this. I know some people who made it a rule that they will
    only assist in case of trouble with Free software. If Microsoft software
    fails, then Microsoft should be liable or at least chip in to help. Microsoft
    has grown a workforce of volunteers who grow up in Windows-oriented schools
    and then become unpaid support staff. By helping those whom you love, you're
    not ending this cycle. You can help friends and family better by urging them
    to take trouble-free software that you trivially can administer remotely, as
    well.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England

  12. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ____/ Richard Rasker on Tuesday 01 January 2008 01:49 : \____
    >
    >> I'm with you so far. I'm one of those technicians.

    > You ought to end this. I know some people who made it a rule that they
    > will
    > only assist in case of trouble with Free software. If Microsoft software
    > fails, then Microsoft should be liable or at least chip in to help.
    > Microsoft
    > has grown a workforce of volunteers who grow up in Windows-oriented
    > schools
    > and then become unpaid support staff. By helping those whom you love,
    > you're
    > not ending this cycle. You can help friends and family better by urging
    > them
    > to take trouble-free software that you trivially can administer remotely,
    > as
    > well.

    Maybe you can help me with that - remote administration of Linux desktops.

    I admit my ignorance of Linux applications freely. Is there an application
    like LogMeIn or GoToMyPC that works as well for Linux (fast and responsive)
    as they do for Windows?

    jim

  13. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > jim wrote:
    >

    >> People that do tech support are not relegated to only supporting
    >> businesses. Believe it or not, there are home users that are supported by
    >> computer technicians.

    > I'm with you so far. I'm one of those technicians.
    >
    >> All support people do not have the luxury of telling their supervisors
    >> what they will and will not service when going on a tech support call or
    >> the luxury of only supporting one OS to the exclusion of all others.

    > But I do. Ten years ago,

    Ten years ago?

    Sure.

    LOL.

    May your lies bring you a happy new year!

  14. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    ____/ jim on Tuesday 01 January 2008 05:40 : \____

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> ____/ Richard Rasker on Tuesday 01 January 2008 01:49 : \____
    >>
    >>> I'm with you so far. I'm one of those technicians.

    >> You ought to end this. I know some people who made it a rule that they
    >> will
    >> only assist in case of trouble with Free software. If Microsoft software
    >> fails, then Microsoft should be liable or at least chip in to help.
    >> Microsoft
    >> has grown a workforce of volunteers who grow up in Windows-oriented
    >> schools
    >> and then become unpaid support staff. By helping those whom you love,
    >> you're
    >> not ending this cycle. You can help friends and family better by urging
    >> them
    >> to take trouble-free software that you trivially can administer remotely,
    >> as
    >> well.

    > Maybe you can help me with that - remote administration of Linux desktops.
    >
    > I admit my ignorance of Linux applications freely. Is there an application
    > like LogMeIn or GoToMyPC that works as well for Linux (fast and responsive)
    > as they do for Windows?

    I was thinking along the lines of SSH (OpenSSH). Hypothetical case:

    Your nephew has an issue because he doesn't know how to install Opera. You log
    right in, run kcontrol/gnome-panel (or kicker, then doing all the GUI stuff).
    You're essentially (virtually) right there on the PC, assuming you have the
    root password. It's very simple and it's totally free. If you upgrade the
    kernel -- for whatever reason -- you can even reboot remotely and then carry
    on remotely.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.

  15. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    jim wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> ____/ Richard Rasker on Tuesday 01 January 2008 01:49 : \____
    >>
    >>> I'm with you so far. I'm one of those technicians.

    >> You ought to end this. I know some people who made it a rule that they
    >> will
    >> only assist in case of trouble with Free software. If Microsoft software
    >> fails, then Microsoft should be liable or at least chip in to help.
    >> Microsoft
    >> has grown a workforce of volunteers who grow up in Windows-oriented
    >> schools
    >> and then become unpaid support staff. By helping those whom you love,
    >> you're
    >> not ending this cycle. You can help friends and family better by urging
    >> them
    >> to take trouble-free software that you trivially can administer remotely,
    >> as
    >> well.

    > Maybe you can help me with that - remote administration of Linux desktops.
    >
    > I admit my ignorance of Linux applications freely. Is there an
    > application like LogMeIn or GoToMyPC that works as well for Linux (fast
    > and responsive) as they do for Windows?

    Nah... no applications required. Linux has such functionality built in. You
    can tunnel X apps through SSH (encrypted) or you can log in directly to a
    remote machine using X Chooser.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  16. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    > ____/ jim on Tuesday 01 January 2008 05:40 : \____
    >

    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> ____/ Richard Rasker on Tuesday 01 January 2008 01:49 : \____

    >>> You ought to end this. I know some people who made it a rule that they
    >>> will
    >>> only assist in case of trouble with Free software. If Microsoft
    >>> software
    >>> fails, then Microsoft should be liable or at least chip in to help.
    >>> Microsoft
    >>> has grown a workforce of volunteers who grow up in Windows-oriented
    >>> schools
    >>> and then become unpaid support staff. By helping those whom you love,
    >>> you're
    >>> not ending this cycle. You can help friends and family better by urging
    >>> them
    >>> to take trouble-free software that you trivially can administer
    >>> remotely,
    >>> as
    >>> well.

    >> Maybe you can help me with that - remote administration of Linux
    >> desktops.
    >>
    >> I admit my ignorance of Linux applications freely. Is there an
    >> application
    >> like LogMeIn or GoToMyPC that works as well for Linux (fast and
    >> responsive)
    >> as they do for Windows?

    > I was thinking along the lines of SSH (OpenSSH). Hypothetical case:
    >
    > Your nephew has an issue because he doesn't know how to install Opera.
    > You log
    > right in, run kcontrol/gnome-panel (or kicker, then doing all the GUI
    > stuff).
    > You're essentially (virtually) right there on the PC, assuming you have
    > the
    > root password. It's very simple and it's totally free.

    In other words.... it's just like "Remote Desktop" which has been bundled
    with every Windows computer for the past 8 years.

  17. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    * jim fired off this tart reply:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I certainly can't see any circumstances where I would find myself in such
    >>> a dismal situation

    >> Especially in a business. Why would /any/ business use Windows Home
    >> Server?

    > I find it very hard to believe that you people are this stupid.
    >
    > People that do tech support are not relegated to only supporting businesses.
    > Believe it or not, there are home users that are supported by computer
    > technicians.

    I find it hard to believe that a computer technician would buy WHS to
    support his/her family's home-server, rather than recruit an aging
    computer to the task using Linux and Samba.

    > All support people do not have the luxury of telling their supervisors what
    > they will and will not service when going on a tech support call or the
    > luxury of only supporting one OS to the exclusion of all others. No
    > friends, other computer technicians must actually work. At times, that
    > means supporting technologies that you may not like, may not use personally
    > and may even have valid reasons to not deploy - when given the option.

    Oh, we understand quite well, as both Peter and I need to do a fair
    amount of Windows work in our jobs. Work is not the issue in Windows
    Home Server.

    > If you do not understand this (and I think all of the repliers thus far do)
    > you should not be replying to this thread.

    Do your homework -- home != work.

    > If you do understand this, you are simply a troll (something I was told was
    > quite rare in comp.os.linux.advocacy - evidentally that was a lie).

    Pfffft. Damn, I need to buy another keyboard. This one will be
    shorting out soon.

    Thanks, jim, for the heads up. Either your head's up, or you'e the
    troll. But I suspect it is both.

    Happy New Year!

    --
    Tux rox!

  18. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    * jim fired off this tart reply:

    > Maybe you can help me with that - remote administration of Linux desktops.
    >
    > I admit my ignorance of Linux applications freely. Is there an application
    > like LogMeIn or GoToMyPC that works as well for Linux (fast and responsive)
    > as they do for Windows?

    If you don't mind the plain command line, ssh is the best. Encrypted
    connection, fast, easy to set up and easy to use, on both ends (you may
    need to copy an encryption key, what Microsoft likes to call a
    "certificate"). You'll have to make sure the firewalls at both ends
    allow the port you choose. The default is port 22, but I always change
    it, as probes through that port were pretty frequent the last time I
    checked.

    ssh can also set up a "remote" port in case your firewall policy doesn't
    allow incoming ssh.

    If you need a GUI, consider VNC. Over the internet, you'll want to
    tunnel it through SSH for safety. There's TigthVNC, RealVNC, UltraVNC,
    and probably some others.

    If you want to administer a remote billy box, VNC can work, or you can
    use the rdesktop remote desktop protocol client.

    You can also access a Linux box via GUI using X Windows tunnelled over
    SSH. This let's you spawn GUI's remotely and securely. Again, you have
    to do a little setup on each end.

    Whatever you do, don't listen to people who tell you to use telnet or
    rsh.

    --
    Tux rox!

  19. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    * Antonio Murphie fired off this tart reply:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >
    > In other words.... it's just like "Remote Desktop" which has been bundled
    > with every Windows computer for the past 8 years.

    Nope. First, X has been around in one form or another for 23 years.
    SSH has been around for 12 years.

    Second, SSH can be used to encrypt or tunnel all sorts of protocols:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell#History

    terminal
    ftp
    rsync
    cp
    remote monitoring
    file system

    Not to mention VPN support and usage as a proxy.

    I like this one, using your vaunted "Remote Desktop" protocol:

    ssh and rdesktop. Three computers, the computer that will run
    rdesktop and ssh, a computer used to obtain access to a remote
    network, and the last will be the computer you want rdesktop to
    display.

    "ssh -L3389:mytarget.mycompany.net:3389 sshtarget.mycompany.net"

    Just log into the middle computer and do
    nothing on it. Open another shell from the first computer running ssh
    and type "rdesktop localhost". This example uses the middle computer to
    port forward 3389 from the end computer to the first computer. If on
    Windows, run ssh using another local port, e.g.

    "ssh -L3390:mydesktop.mycompany.net:3389 sshserver.mycompany.net"

    Start the native Windows Remote Desktop client and type localhost:3390 to
    remote into "mydesktop.mycompany.net"

    GNU/Linux and OSS wins (get it? get it?) again!

    --
    Tux rox!

  20. Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

    > Oh yes: once, long ago, I also did Windows support and maintenance. It was
    > both very profitable and utterly frustrating: people kept coming back with
    > the same problems, time after time. And most of the time, I couldn't do
    > much except do Microsoft's "Three R Dance": Retry, Reboot, and Reinstall.
    > Even problems seemingly "solved" by means of this ludicrous collection of
    > hocus pocus remedies called the "Microsoft Knowledge Base" often reared
    > their ugly heads for a second or third time, or even more often. What I
    > learned from this is that you can only call yourself a computer technician
    > if you *understand* what you're working with.

    The best people in any endeavour *want to understand* what they are
    doing. Windows frustrates this, while Linux encourages it. And you
    are right, Windows gets worse in this regard with every release. The
    old DOS wasn't bad in this respect, although it was a toy OS. You had
    the source code, you could change it. You could find out how
    everything worked. When Windows came along, there was suddenly a huge
    screen pulled over all of this. (I think it is fair to say that you
    had the same problems on the Mac, but I never used a Mac in those days
    so I can't comment personally.) This was why I never adopted
    Windows. I stayed with DOS for a couple of years until it was
    absolutely untenable, then switched to Linux. That was over 10 years
    ago, and I've never used Windows since (except briefly for editing
    some photos, a job which I now do with Gimp in Linux). I suppose
    Hadron will now call me a liar, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast