Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Linux indifference and hostility from ?mainstream? technology broadcasts > > ,----[ Quote ] > | All we ask is that the mainstream tech media treat Linux as a serious > | alternative to Windows and Apple ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

  1. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Linux indifference and hostility from ?mainstream? technology broadcasts
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | All we ask is that the mainstream tech media treat Linux as a serious
    > | alternative to Windows and Apple machines. Keep the negative attitude
    > | and venom to yourself. Fair and equal treatment, that?s all.
    > `----
    >
    > http://pdavila.homelinux.org:8080/blog/?p=263

    These so called journalists should stop being afraid, un-learn all the
    windopws stuff and write about Linux.
    Linux is show shipping 1 million new desktops per month and selling
    1 million embedded Linux gadgets every day. These journalists are seriously
    under reporting Linux and failing at their jobs asleep.

  2. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:28:55 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Linux is show shipping 1 million new desktops per month and selling

    YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.

    --
    Kier

  3. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:40 : \____

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:28:55 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is show shipping 1 million new desktops per month and selling

    > YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.

    It's a very reasonable estimate. Eee PCs alone sold about 200,000 per month.
    That's a number of /new/ Linux PCs you can't just sneeze at.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
    Tasks: 129 total, 1 running, 127 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  4. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:28:55 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is show shipping 1 million new desktops per month and selling

    > YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.

    BOLLOCKS TO YOU ASSHOLE!

    YOU WERE TOLD MANY TIMES TO TOTAL THE PRESS RELEASES FOR 2007!!!

  5. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:44:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:40 : \____
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:28:55 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux is show shipping 1 million new desktops per month and selling

    >> YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.

    > It's a very reasonable estimate. Eee PCs alone sold about 200,000 per month.

    I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
    has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
    just spews more babytalk.

    > That's a number of /new/ Linux PCs you can't just sneeze at.

    But where have the rest come from? A million a month is a very large
    figure, after all, and it's best to be as accurate as possible, that way
    we can't be criticised for making things up.

    --
    Kier

  6. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:07:26 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Net Nanny Kier wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:28:55 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux is show shipping 1 million new desktops per month and selling

    >> YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.

    > BOLLOCKS TO YOU ASSHOLE!

    Tut, tut. You shouldn't shout, I'm not deaf. I'm not an asshole, either.

    > YOU WERE TOLD MANY TIMES TO TOTAL THE PRESS RELEASES FOR 2007!!!

    That isn't proof. *You* show the proof, and I'll quite happily believe it.
    But in English, not babytalk.

    --
    Kier

  7. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:07:26 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    >>> YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.

    >> BOLLOCKS TO YOU ASSHOLE!

    > Tut, tut. You shouldn't shout, I'm not deaf. I'm not an asshole, either.

    I can see you genuinely believe that!!!
    May be you should seek second opinion?

    >> YOU WERE TOLD MANY TIMES TO TOTAL THE PRESS RELEASES FOR 2007!!!

    > That isn't proof.

    Because?

    > *You* show the proof, and I'll quite happily believe it.

    You have read above?

    > But in English, not babytalk.

    That assumes you can read English which you can't because
    everthing appears to you as babytalk?

  8. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    Kier wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:44:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:40 : \____

    >>> YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.

    >> It's a very reasonable estimate. Eee PCs alone sold about 200,000 per
    >> month.

    > I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
    > has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
    > just spews more babytalk.
    >
    >> That's a number of /new/ Linux PCs you can't just sneeze at.

    > But where have the rest come from? A million a month is a very large
    > figure,

    Because?

    > after all, and it's best to be as accurate as possible, that way
    > we can't be criticised for making things up.

  9. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    In article ,
    Kier wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:44:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > > ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:40 : \____

    > >> YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.

    > > It's a very reasonable estimate. Eee PCs alone sold about 200,000 per month.

    > I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
    > has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
    > just spews more babytalk.

    They projected selling 200k by the end of the year, which had 2.5 months
    left in it when they went on sale. They actually sold about 350k, in
    just over 2 months, which would be 175k a month, so your number looks
    like the right one.

    However, that will include a boost from launch month, and a boost from
    Christmas sales, so they probably won't sustain that rate.

    If 7 is right, new Linux desktops are springing up about as fast as PS3s
    are selling. So, we can test this by surveying people. If he is right,
    we should find we encounter about as many recent Linux desktop users as
    we encounter recent PS3 buyers (although it might be necessary to wait a
    couple months, to get out of the Christmas effect, since I'd expect that
    to have boosted PS3 sales more than it would boost Linux desktop
    installs).

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:41:53 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    >>> BOLLOCKS TO YOU ASSHOLE!

    >> Tut, tut. You shouldn't shout, I'm not deaf. I'm not an asshole, either.

    > I can see you genuinely believe that!!!

    Naturally. Since I'm not an asshole.

    > May be you should seek second opinion?

    Nope.

    >>> YOU WERE TOLD MANY TIMES TO TOTAL THE PRESS RELEASES FOR 2007!!!

    >> That isn't proof.

    > Because?

    Because *you* have not shown it.

    >> *You* show the proof, and I'll quite happily believe it.

    > You have read above?

    Ditto.

    >> But in English, not babytalk.

    > That assumes you can read English which you can't because
    > everthing appears to you as babytalk?

    Not, it assumes you insist on talking in stupid baby language instead of
    proper English. If you stopped, you might be taken seriously.

    --
    Kier

  11. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:42:32 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:44:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:40 : \____

    >>> It's a very reasonable estimate. Eee PCs alone sold about 200,000 per
    >>> month.

    >> I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
    >> has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
    >> just spews more babytalk.
    >>
    >>> That's a number of /new/ Linux PCs you can't just sneeze at.

    >> But where have the rest come from? A million a month is a very large
    >> figure,

    > Because?

    Because it is, idiot.

    --
    Kier

  12. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:54:55 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Kier wrote:
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:44:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> > ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:40 : \____

    >> > It's a very reasonable estimate. Eee PCs alone sold about 200,000 per month.

    >> I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
    >> has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
    >> just spews more babytalk.

    > They projected selling 200k by the end of the year, which had 2.5 months
    > left in it when they went on sale. They actually sold about 350k, in
    > just over 2 months, which would be 175k a month, so your number looks
    > like the right one.
    >
    > However, that will include a boost from launch month, and a boost from
    > Christmas sales, so they probably won't sustain that rate.

    Possibly. But it's an excellent start. I'd quite like an Asus myself. My
    brother said he'd seen one, and was fairly impressed. It's the sort of
    device you could carry about without too much bother, as it's so small and
    being solid state is less likely to be damaged by living in a bag or
    briefcase. The latest Linux Format mag reviewed it and gave it a general
    thumbs-up. But I just lashed out several hundred quid on a 32 inch telly,
    so it may have to wait a while :-) By then any quirks are likely to be
    ironed out, too.

    --
    Kier

  13. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:41:53 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    >>> Tut, tut. You shouldn't shout, I'm not deaf. I'm not an asshole, either.

    >> I can see you genuinely believe that!!!

    > Naturally. Since I'm not an asshole.
    >
    >> May be you should seek second opinion?

    > Nope.

    >>> That isn't proof.

    >> Because?

    > Because *you* have not shown it.

    You mean you can't read English!!!?

    >>> *You* show the proof, and I'll quite happily believe it.

    >> You have read above?
    > > Ditto.

    No you haven't. You just proved to be asshole
    who has no plans to obtain a second opinion!

    >>> But in English, not babytalk.

    >> That assumes you can read English which you can't because
    >> everthing appears to you as babytalk?

    > Not, it assumes you insist on talking in stupid baby language instead of
    > proper English. If you stopped, you might be taken seriously.

    By you?

    *plonk!*

  14. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:42:32 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Kier wrote:

    >>> I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
    >>> has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
    >>> just spews more babytalk.

    >>> But where have the rest come from? A million a month is a very large
    >>> figure,

    >> Because?

    > Because it is, idiot.

    Says who?

  15. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:21:36 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    >>> I can see you genuinely believe that!!!

    >> Naturally. Since I'm not an asshole.
    >>
    >>> May be you should seek second opinion?

    >> Nope.

    >>> Because?

    >> Because *you* have not shown it.

    > You mean you can't read English!!!?

    Of course I can. But you rarely seem to use it.

    >>> You have read above?
    >> > Ditto.

    > No you haven't. You just proved to be asshole
    > who has no plans to obtain a second opinion!

    Whereas you are just an all-round idiot.

    >>> That assumes you can read English which you can't because
    >>> everthing appears to you as babytalk?

    >> Not, it assumes you insist on talking in stupid baby language instead of
    >> proper English. If you stopped, you might be taken seriously.

    > By you?
    >
    > *plonk!*

    Plonker.

    --
    Kier

  16. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:22:51 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    >>> Because?

    >> Because it is, idiot.

    > Says who?

    Weren't you supposed to have plonked me?

    --
    Kier

  17. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    On 2007-12-29, Kier claimed:
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:44:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:40 : \____

    >>> YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.

    >> It's a very reasonable estimate. Eee PCs alone sold about 200,000 per month.

    > I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
    > has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
    > just spews more babytalk.
    >
    >> That's a number of /new/ Linux PCs you can't just sneeze at.

    > But where have the rest come from? A million a month is a very large
    > figure, after all, and it's best to be as accurate as possible, that way
    > we can't be criticised for making things up.

    How many has gPC been selling? How many Ubuntu machines are being sold
    by Dell? How many OLPCs are shipping? How many are individual locaal
    shops, and vendors like MadTux, shipping?

    Granted, the number might not approach a million a month it total. Or
    it might surpass it. But there's no proof either way unless all of the
    commercial interests are doing it.

    Not that I'm trying to support 7's idiocy, even if he does manage to
    almost be as right as a stopped clock. It's just there are a lot being
    shipped and/or sold outright.

    --
    Running Windows means never having to say: Task Complete!

  18. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    ____/ Sinister Midget on Sunday 30 December 2007 01:53 : \____

    > On 2007-12-29, Kier claimed:
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:44:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:40 : \____

    >>> It's a very reasonable estimate. Eee PCs alone sold about 200,000 per
    >>> month.

    >> I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
    >> has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
    >> just spews more babytalk.
    >>
    >>> That's a number of /new/ Linux PCs you can't just sneeze at.

    >> But where have the rest come from? A million a month is a very large
    >> figure, after all, and it's best to be as accurate as possible, that way
    >> we can't be criticised for making things up.

    > How many has gPC been selling? How many Ubuntu machines are being sold
    > by Dell? How many OLPCs are shipping? How many are individual locaal
    > shops, and vendors like MadTux, shipping?

    It's Windows PCs that become dual-boot machines or Linux-only which makes up
    the majority of the transitions. That cannot be counted.

    > Granted, the number might not approach a million a month it total. Or
    > it might surpass it. But there's no proof either way unless all of the
    > commercial interests are doing it.

    LinuxDesktop.com and the Linux Foundation ran surveys that involved desktop
    Linux (never mind mobile devices, supercomputers, etc.). The participation
    more than doubled compared to the previous year.

    > Not that I'm trying to support 7's idiocy, even if he does manage to
    > almost be as right as a stopped clock. It's just there are a lot being
    > shipped and/or sold outright.

    It's just the way '7' says it that has him criticised. His figures makes
    perfect sense and they are likely be a lower bound.

    Microsoft has been repeatedly criticised for its hypnosis skills. It is able to
    do gymnastics with people's perception of the company's wealth. It also feeds
    IDC and Gartner some bogus figures that do not tell the true story about Linux
    adoption in server. These figures are then spread to spread disinformation
    further.

    Case of point (posted earlier today):

    "You can stand on your head. I cannot accept your word anymore. You have lost
    your credibility."

    --Judge Sporkin to Microsoft lawyer Richard Urowsky

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Previous signature has been conceded
    run-level 2 2007-12-10 11:12 last=

  19. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 21:08 : \____

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:54:55 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Kier wrote:

    >>> I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
    >>> has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
    >>> just spews more babytalk.

    >> They projected selling 200k by the end of the year, which had 2.5 months
    >> left in it when they went on sale. They actually sold about 350k, in
    >> just over 2 months, which would be 175k a month, so your number looks
    >> like the right one.
    >>
    >> However, that will include a boost from launch month, and a boost from
    >> Christmas sales, so they probably won't sustain that rate.

    > Possibly. But it's an excellent start. I'd quite like an Asus myself. My
    > brother said he'd seen one, and was fairly impressed. It's the sort of
    > device you could carry about without too much bother, as it's so small and
    > being solid state is less likely to be damaged by living in a bag or
    > briefcase. The latest Linux Format mag reviewed it and gave it a general
    > thumbs-up. But I just lashed out several hundred quid on a 32 inch telly,
    > so it may have to wait a while :-) By then any quirks are likely to be
    > ironed out, too.

    The sales figures from Asus were limited by production capacity. If I recall
    correctly, 5 million units were expected to sell next year. These forecasts
    were changed and the numbers elevated significantly just before Xmas (I'll
    fetch the references if you want). Asus insists that it can dominate 20% of
    the laptops market and the Eee PC is bound to become its second most important
    product. Vista won't run on the Eee PC any time soon (with reasonable
    performance and real attraction).

    Don't let Timmy and the Microsoft apologist downplay the significance of this.
    They will try very hard.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
    Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
    Thanks for tuning in.

  20. Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

    ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 23:57 : \____

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:22:51 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Net Nanny Kier wrote:

    >>> Because it is, idiot.

    >> Says who?

    > Weren't you supposed to have plonked me?

    Kerala alone is the home of about 30 million people. Kerala will become a
    GNU/Linux state.

    That's just Kerala. It isn't even an entire country. Remember all those Russian
    schools, Kier? How about those other nations where schools move to GNU/Linux?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
    Tasks: 145 total, 1 running, 144 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast