[News] [Rival] Windows Vista SP1 Makes It Even Worse - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Windows Vista SP1 Makes It Even Worse - Linux ; Tests: Vista SP1 worsens HD, network speed ,----[ Quote ] | The looming Service Pack 1 update for Windows Vista has deteriorated the | Microsoft operating system's disk and networking performance beyond the | already slow launch version, according to ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Windows Vista SP1 Makes It Even Worse

    Tests: Vista SP1 worsens HD, network speed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The looming Service Pack 1 update for Windows Vista has deteriorated the
    | Microsoft operating system's disk and networking performance beyond the
    | already slow launch version, according to a series of tests conducted by
    | Gizmodo.
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...p1.slows.down/

    Quote for the day:

    "I have been shown what you produced and it doesn’t make any sense to be. It’s
    gibberish."

    --Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson [about Microsoft 'cooperation']

    Related:

    Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After extensive testing of both RTM and SP1-patched versions of Windows
    | Vista, it seems clear that the hoped-for performance fixes that Microsoft has
    | been hinting at never materialized. Vista + SP1 is no faster than Vista from
    | the RTM image. *
    |
    | Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows
    | Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many
    | predicted. In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or
    | bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that
    | were "barn-burners" under Windows XP. * *
    `----

    http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11...mance-dud.html

    Typo leads to Vista SP1 confusion

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | News agencies and bloggers picked up on the post, prompting the WDK team to
    | update the e-mail on Wednesday, saying that the original had featured a
    | typographic error, and that the build available was for the upcoming Windows
    | Server 2008.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6197...0-20&subj=news

    Vista isn’t Me2, it’s Win95 + 12 years

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Businesses will continue to stay away from Vista in droves. They have
    | a perfectly acceptable alternative in Windows XP, and there’s little
    | upside in upgrading.
    `----

    http://launchr.blogspot.com/2007/06/...-12-years.html

    It is time to stop the spread of Vista SP1 misinformation!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I agree. It is time to stop the misinformation, the bulk of which is coming
    | from Microsoft right now.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=587

    Microsoft: No Rush to Vista SP1

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From nathanm Mon Oct 01 11:42:05 1990
    | To: billg; bradsi;
    | Subject: SPARC, MIPS & Compaq
    | DateL Tue Oct 02, 22:57:14 1990
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The purpose of announcing early like this is to freeze the market at the
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | OEM and ISV level. In this respect it is JUST like the original Windows
    | announcement ..
    |
    | One might worry that this will help Sun because we will just have
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | vaporware, that people will stop buying 486 machines, that we will have
    | ^^^^^^^^^
    | endorsed RISC but not delivered .. So, Scott, do you really think you
    | can fight that avalanche?
    `----

    http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowacons...LEX_0411_A.pdf

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista SP1 Makes It Even Worse

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Tests: Vista SP1 worsens HD, network speed
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The looming Service Pack 1 update for Windows Vista has deteriorated the
    > | Microsoft operating system's disk and networking performance beyond the
    > | already slow launch version, according to a series of tests conducted by
    > | Gizmodo.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.electronista.com/articles...p1.slows.down/

    Forgive me, but... you get what you pay for. Windows Vista is a product of
    cheap labor... H1B's and "off shore-ing" is not the answer for quality
    software. Any idiot could figure that out and Microsoft has spent BILLIONS
    producing a total FLOP in Vista.

    Corporate America... WAKE UP... cheap is not always a good thing.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista SP1 Makes It Even Worse

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Saturday 29 December 2007 21:34 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Tests: Vista SP1 worsens HD, network speed
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The looming Service Pack 1 update for Windows Vista has deteriorated the
    >> | Microsoft operating system's disk and networking performance beyond the
    >> | already slow launch version, according to a series of tests conducted by
    >> | Gizmodo.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.electronista.com/articles...p1.slows.down/
    >>

    > Forgive me, but... you get what you pay for. Windows Vista is a product of
    > cheap labor... H1B's and "off shore-ing" is not the answer for quality
    > software. Any idiot could figure that out and Microsoft has spent BILLIONS
    > producing a total FLOP in Vista.
    >
    > Corporate America... WAKE UP... cheap is not always a good thing.

    Here is the full test (I hadn't realise that it was an indirect link):

    Battlemodo: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 RC1 vs. Shipping Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | …we noticed with Windows Vista was when we tried to transfer a large folder
    | full of files over our 100Base-T network. While XP was able to transfer the
    | 1.37GB folder containing 2606 items in a quick 3:37 (minutes/seconds), the
    | Vista transfer seemed to hesitate at the end, taking a leisurely 12:58 to
    | perform exactly the same copy from one PC to another over our network. Then
    | when we compared the current shipping version of Vista with its upcoming
    | service pack, there wasn’t much difference, with the Service Pack speeding
    | things up by 0.865% in the PCMark tests.
    |
    | The only part of it that’s bugging us is the network file transfer speed got
    | even slower in the SP1 release candidate. Also continuing that bothersome
    | disk speed problem is the way Vista couldn’t read and write on that speedy
    | 15,000rpm SAS drive anywhere near as fast as XP did.
    `----

    http://gizmodo.com/337768/battlemodo...shipping-vista

    Only with Microsoft can the year 2001 be better than 2008. Without competition,
    there's no improvement, unless that 'improvement' is Intel's bottom line and
    some extra permissions-related checks for Holywood moguls.

    Computing will only improve when Microsoft gets a kick in the pants.

    Speaking of cheap labour, blame Microsoft lobbyists (read: bribes that rewrite
    the law). The government appears to be taking action now. Published days ago:

    Lobbyists' Cash Haul Appears to Slow

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A decade-long boom for corporate lobbyists in Washington is showing signs of
    | quieting down, just as tougher congressional rules threaten to muffle the
    | multibillion-dollar industry even more next year. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Financial services and technology firms, including Apple Inc. and Microsoft
    | Corp., squared off against pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, such
    | as Johnson & Johnson and Amgen Inc., on patent reforms. *
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071226/corpo...ying.html?.v=2

    Bribing politicians is a MULTI-BILLION-DOLLAR industry!! How on earth has this
    happened?

    “Gates met Noorda briefly in San Francisco to discuss the merger […] before the
    merger could go forward, he said Novell had to drop its plans to buy Digital
    Research. […] when Noorda raised the possibility that the Justice Department
    might try to block a merger between the first and third biggest software
    companies on the planet, Gates responded, “Don’t worry, we know how to handle
    the federal government.” […] Gates denied every saying such a thing”

    http://bil-gates.blogspot.com/

    "Corruption" is written all over it, but corrupt conduct seems to have been
    forged into the law. Welcome to the NWO.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXqj9epGEas

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: 12345679 x 8 = 98765432
    Swap: 1510068k total, 361948k used, 1148120k free, 48136k cached

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista SP1 Makes It Even Worse

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    >Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Tests: Vista SP1 worsens HD, network speed
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The looming Service Pack 1 update for Windows Vista has deteriorated the
    >> | Microsoft operating system's disk and networking performance beyond the
    >> | already slow launch version, according to a series of tests conducted by
    >> | Gizmodo.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.electronista.com/articles...p1.slows.down/
    >>

    >Forgive me, but... you get what you pay for.

    Huh? Did you think that all the way through? What about OSS?

    >Windows Vista is a product of cheap labor...

    Nonsense. It's the product of poor management. You don't blame the
    workers when the product is bad.

    >H1B's and "off shore-ing" is not the answer for quality
    >software. Any idiot could figure that out and Microsoft has spent BILLIONS
    >producing a total FLOP in Vista.

    Well, producing software is sort of a side-line business at
    Microshaft. Their main business is figuring-out how to screw
    everybody.

+ Reply to Thread