[News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill 'Analysts' Asked for Press Quotes on Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill 'Analysts' Asked for Press Quotes on Vista - Linux ; Defending Windows Vista ,----[Quote ] | Vista hasn't done so well in other year-end reviews. Last week, my former | JupiterResearch colleague Michael Gartenberg observed that "Vista's been | really getting slapped around lately." Oh, is that an understatement. `---- ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill 'Analysts' Asked for Press Quotes on Vista

    Defending Windows Vista

    ,----[Quote ]
    | Vista hasn't done so well in other year-end reviews. Last week, my former
    | JupiterResearch colleague Michael Gartenberg observed that "Vista's been
    | really getting slapped around lately." Oh, is that an understatement.
    `----

    Michael Gartenberg = Former Microsoft Evangelist (employee, cheerleader,
    shill), now pretending to be an 'analyst'. The whole analysts industry is
    highly corrupt in the sense that it serves consumers (businesses, not actual
    customer).

    Related:

    http://slated.org/linux_still_doesnt...op_is_pure_fud

    http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

    Evangelist Gartenberg back to being analyst

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After only three weeks at Microsoft as an "evangelist," Michael
    | Gartenberg is returning to his old job as vice president and
    | research director at JupiterResearch.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-616...0-20&subj=news

    Microsoft upgrades Zune players to challenge Apple iPods

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "It's a nice evolutionary development to the product line," said Jupiter
    | Research analyst Michael Gartenberg.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071003...mpanymicrosoft

    Microsoft Xbox to Join the Battle for Video Downloading

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Editors' Note: November 10, 2006, Friday An article in Business Day
    | on Tuesday described a decision by Microsoft to offer movies and
    | episodes of television shows for downloading through its Xbox Live
    | online service in the United States.
    |
    | The article quoted Rob Enderle, principal analyst at the Enderle
    | Group, discussing the features that set Xbox Live service apart
    | and its position in the market.
    |
    | But the article did not note that Mr. Enderle had Microsoft as a client,
    | a fact later pointed out by a reader. Mr. Enderle does consulting work
    | for several of Microsoft's product groups, though not for the one
    | developing the Xbox; still, had The Times known of Mr. Enderle's work
    | for Microsoft, it would not have sought out his opinion on the product.
    `----

    http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...A80994DE404482
    http://tinyurl.com/y3avsv

    NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The New York Times continues to perplex with its analyst- quoting
    | policy. Rather than having analysts declare their ties to clients,
    | the paper would prefer to quote analysts that have no experience
    | with a client - a protocol which seems to undermine the very point
    | of citing analysts.
    |
    | The Register this week started pushing the Times to explain its
    | quoting stance after noticing that Rob Enderle - the most quoted
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^
    | technology analyst on the planet - had been blocked from commenting
    | on companies with which he has a financial relationship. The ban
    | against Enderle appeared odd, given that Times reporters continue
    | to cite analysts from larger firms who also have financial
    | relationships with the companies discussed.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | As it turns out, there's a cottage industry devoted to Rob
    | Enderle, where Linux zealots fire off this form letter to editors
    | whenever Enderle appears talking about Microsoft. Perhaps the Linux
    | crowd could put its fabled collective mind toward creating letters
    | for all the major analysts. Lord knows, the Times could use
    | some help.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill 'Analysts' Asked for Press Quotes on Vista

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > At least she keeps people informed when executives quietly jump ship. That's
    > just why I keep track of the drivel. There's a bit of resentment because she
    > deletes comments and trackbacks that point to BoycottNovell. I sense that
    > Microsoft doesn't like that site.

    This is interesting:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/

    December 28th, 2007
    What does Microsoft's IPTV reorg have to do with 'Fiji'?

    I've been thinking about Microsoft\u2019s quiet reorg, via which
    the company unified the IPTV, Media Center and HD DVD initiatives
    into a single organization, known as the Microsoft Connected TV
    business group.

    . . .

    Until we (Microsoft) realize that we need to deliver one unified
    platform for multimedia development and consumption, these types
    of changes are not going to matter much to the general consumer or
    customer.

    Gah. More vendor-specific integrated stuff.

    Already Microsoft is on-board on Ford/Lincoln automobiles with a
    speech-recognition device for your MP3 player. Wonder how it hears you
    when you're playing the tunes at high volume?

    Story about speech-recognition:

    I called AT&T (formerly Bellsouth.net) because of their crap service
    (down TWICE, for many hours, since AT&T has taken over).

    Their system used voice recognition. I called them back again to have
    some fun, saying I wanted "Linux support". The system kept repeating
    the options.

    Finally, I say one word: "Windows".

    The system says: "We will connect you to a technician...".

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill 'Analysts' Asked for Press Quotes on Vista

    On 2007-12-30, Linonut claimed:

    > Already Microsoft is on-board on Ford/Lincoln automobiles with a
    > speech-recognition device for your MP3 player. Wonder how it hears you
    > when you're playing the tunes at high volume?

    That could be interesting. I wonder if the music system can make its
    own changes based on lyrics or whatever in the msuic being played. Or
    just noises that come across to it as voice commands. That could make
    for a funny situation. It would be typical MS to have something work so
    well. But it would be funny just the same.

    It could also possibly send Ford or Lincoln down the same road as
    CompUSA. what with people demanding repairs that can't be made. And
    bringing lawsuits against the companies for not being able to repair an
    MSism.

    > Story about speech-recognition:
    >
    > I called AT&T (formerly Bellsouth.net) because of their crap service
    > (down TWICE, for many hours, since AT&T has taken over).
    >
    > Their system used voice recognition. I called them back again to have
    > some fun, saying I wanted "Linux support". The system kept repeating
    > the options.
    >
    > Finally, I say one word: "Windows".
    >
    > The system says: "We will connect you to a technician...".

    I had that same type of runaround with RoadRunner. Mine was with
    so-called "humans", though.

    The "tech" was a callcenter person taking orders before they farmed it
    all out to Pakistan and Serbia. Their brochures and advertisements said
    specifically that they supported Windows and Mac. But they would work
    with anything as long as the user was willing to set things up
    themselves.

    "TECH": OK, do you have Windows 98 or above?

    ME: No. I have linux. But I'm going to do a self-install and setup.

    "TECH": OK. Do you have Windows 98 or above?

    ME: No, but I'm going to do a self setup, so it doesn't matter what I'm
    running.

    "TECH": OK. Do you have Windows 98 or above?

    ME: No. I'm going to use a Mac.

    "TECH": OK. Do you have Windows 98 or above?

    ME: No. I thought you guys supported Mac. According to the ads I've
    seen you do. Do you or don't you?

    "TECH": Yes, we support the Mac.

    ME: Good, That's what I'm going to use.

    "TECH": Great. Do you have Windows 98 or above?

    I hung up.

    I called again the next day and had a similar "conversation" with
    another "tech". I hung up again.

    I called again the day after that and talked to another "tech" who was
    perplexed enough to get someone else. That person took the information
    and got everything going so the cable girl could run a wire and I could
    set us up.

    My calls to Jeremy in Banglore went a lot better in subsequent calls
    than the ones I made trying to get the friggin' service established!

    --
    Running Windows is no better than washing them.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill 'Analysts' Asked for Press Quotes on Vista

    * Sinister Midget fired off this tart reply:

    >> Story about speech-recognition:
    >>
    >> Finally, I say one word: "Windows".
    >> The system says: "We will connect you to a technician...".

    > "TECH": OK, do you have Windows 98 or above?
    > ME: No. I have linux. But I'm going to do a self-install and setup.
    > "TECH": OK. Do you have Windows 98 or above?
    > ME: No, but I'm going to do a self setup, so it doesn't matter what I'm
    > running.
    > . . .
    > "TECH": Great. Do you have Windows 98 or above?
    >
    > I hung up.
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > My calls to Jeremy in Banglore went a lot better in subsequent calls
    > than the ones I made trying to get the friggin' service established!

    You should thank your lucky stars you didn't get Kerpal on the line, you
    ****ing guy you. You mother**** guy! I shoot you!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Kicked_My_Dog

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill 'Analysts' Asked for Press Quotes on Vista

    On 2007-12-31, Linonut claimed:
    > * Sinister Midget fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> Story about speech-recognition:
    >>>
    >>> Finally, I say one word: "Windows".
    >>> The system says: "We will connect you to a technician...".

    >> "TECH": OK, do you have Windows 98 or above?
    >> ME: No. I have linux. But I'm going to do a self-install and setup.
    >> "TECH": OK. Do you have Windows 98 or above?
    >> ME: No, but I'm going to do a self setup, so it doesn't matter what I'm
    >> running.
    >> . . .
    >> "TECH": Great. Do you have Windows 98 or above?
    >>
    >> I hung up.
    >>
    >> . . .
    >>
    >> My calls to Jeremy in Banglore went a lot better in subsequent calls
    >> than the ones I made trying to get the friggin' service established!

    > You should thank your lucky stars you didn't get Kerpal on the line, you
    > ****ing guy you. You mother**** guy! I shoot you!
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Kicked_My_Dog

    Sounds like the furiner guy I work with.

    --
    The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom.

+ Reply to Thread