Dog Owner Takes On China's Web Censors

,----[ Quote ]
| Chen's suit, filed Nov. 26, was a bold challenge to the legal authority of
| the Communist Party to decide what China's 1.3 billion people can say and
| read on their computers. It was a rare -- perhaps quixotic -- gesture in a
| country where the power of the Public Security Bureau and Propaganda
| Department to regulate speech is usually considered absolute, enforced with
| the threat of jail time.
`----

Quote for the day:

"I feel we are much too smug in dealing with Novell. Perhaps they didn’t hurt
us in DOS yet — but it’s not because of product or their trying. It’s because
we already had the OEMs wrapped up."

--Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Related:

Watchdog: Beijing Threatens Free Speech

,----[ Quote ]
| A Beijing city regulation clamping down on people who send text messages
| that "spread rumors" or "endanger public security" is a threat to freedom of
| expression, a watchdog group said Monday.
|
| China Human Rights Defenders, an international network of activists and
| rights monitoring groups, said the recent regulation on text messages "raises
| serious concerns over the restriction of freedom of expression in China."
`----

http://news.theage.com.au/watchdog-b...1225-1ivr.html

Open source protester crashes speech by Bill Gates at Chinese University

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates, who is very popular on Chinese campuses, had just finished a
| speech at Peking University and was handing out prizes to students
| when a Chinese man walked on stage and unveiled a banner with "free
| software, open source" written in English on it.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/apr/...ese_university

Yahoo Betrays Free Speech

,----[ Quote ]
| For a company that ostensibly believes in the Internet’s liberating power,
| Yahoo has a gallingly backward understanding of the value of free expression.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/op...th&oref=slogin

Yahoo! Answers is rejecting Open-Source options in answers

,----[ Quote ]
| Someone got a computer from a friend that has some serious problems
| with Windows. S/he has none of the disks (XP or restore) and was
| asking for recommendations.
|
| [...]
|
| How is recommending freely available and legal alternatives abuse?
| ImgBurn is also a perfectly legal program, so are Ubuntu and Kubuntu
| (they're Linux).
`----

http://amandakerik.wordpress.com/200...ns-in-answers/
http://tinyurl.com/ywglv7

Yahoo settles lawsuit with jailed Chinese journalists

,----[ Quote ]
| Smith sponsored the Global Online Freedom Act of 2007, which would prohibit
| U.S. Internet companies from cooperating with repressive regimes on censoring
| the Internet and using Internet user account data to track down and punish
| pro-democracy activists. *
`----

Yahoo Settles With Imprisoned Chinese Journalists

,----[ Quote ]
| Terms of the deal are secret, but Yahoo has reached settlements with two
| Chinese journalists who were arrested based on information the company
| provided to the ruling Communist government. *
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...31243&from=rss

Report: Yahoo exec apologizes to U.S. lawmakers on China

,----[ Quote ]
| A senior executive at Yahoo has apologized for misleading U.S. lawmakers on
| the company's cooperation with a request by China for details on a journalist
| who was later jailed, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday in its
| online edition. *
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6216579.html

Yahoo helped China falsely imprison dissident

..----[ Quote ]
| U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Tom Lantos, D-Calif.,
| said on Oct. 16 Yahoo misled his panel at a 2006 hearing about the
| company's role in providing the Chinese government with information
| that sent journalist Shi Tao to jail for a decade.
|
| [...]
|
| "Our committee has established that Yahoo provided false
| information to Congress in early 2006," Lantos said in a statement.
| "We want to clarify how that happened, and to hold the company to
| account for its actions both before and after its testimony proved
| untrue."
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
| that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
| bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
| organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe. *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...blogging_pact/

Microsoft, Yahoo Tailor Ads To Users' Behavior

,----[ Quote ]
| Google will remain on the sidelines — at least for now. But its Web portal
| rivals are stepping up their efforts to use behavioral targeting to make
| display, or banner, ads more relevant to Web site visitors. *
`----

http://investors.com/editorial/IBDAr...issue=20070823

Yahoo in China human rights case

,----[ Quote ]
| A human rights group in the US is suing Yahoo for alleged complicity in
| rights abuses and acts of torture in China.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/6966116.stm

Chinese Internet dissident committed to mental hospital

,----[ Quote ]
`----