What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported toLinux but that's a language, not a API) - Linux

This is a discussion on What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported toLinux but that's a language, not a API) - Linux ; On Dec 27, 1:58*pm, Rex Ballard wrote: > On Dec 26, 6:29 pm, raylopez99 wrote:> On Dec 26, 1:31 pm, Rex Ballard > > I use BOTH Windows AND Linux. *My Z61P runs both Linux and Windows > using virtualization. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported toLinux but that's a language, not a API)

    On Dec 27, 1:58*pm, Rex Ballard wrote:
    > On Dec 26, 6:29 pm, raylopez99 wrote:> On Dec 26, 1:31 pm, Rex Ballard
    >
    > I use BOTH Windows AND Linux. *My Z61P runs both Linux and Windows
    > using virtualization. *My T40 runs Linux exclusively.

    OK, thanks. If you know of any decent development tools for C++ with
    an emphasis on SQL language I might give Linux a whirl. I'm learning
    SQL programming now, and it seems the emphasis is on the GUI front end
    rather than the ANSI-standard SQL back end (Microsoft has excellent
    GUIs/APIs in the Access 2003 (Visual Basic) and SQL Server 2005
    (C#.NET) languages, which is pretty cute), so I'm curious what whiz-
    bang GUI/API the Linux folks use for the front end...I notice even
    Oracle uses their own programming API/language for their version of
    SQL. ..maybe I'll make this a seperate thread.

    RL

  2. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL isported toLinux but that's a language, not a API)

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:09:09 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Dec 27, 1:58*pm, Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> On Dec 26, 6:29 pm, raylopez99 wrote:> On Dec
    >> 26, 1:31 pm, Rex Ballard
    >>
    >> I use BOTH Windows AND Linux. *My Z61P runs both Linux and Windows
    >> using virtualization. *My T40 runs Linux exclusively.
    >>

    > OK, thanks. If you know of any decent development tools for C++ with an
    > emphasis on SQL language I might give Linux a whirl. I'm learning SQL
    > programming now, and it seems the emphasis is on the GUI front end
    > rather than the ANSI-standard SQL back end (Microsoft has excellent
    > GUIs/APIs in the Access 2003 (Visual Basic) and SQL Server 2005 (C#.NET)
    > languages, which is pretty cute), so I'm curious what whiz- bang GUI/API
    > the Linux folks use for the front end...I notice even Oracle uses their
    > own programming API/language for their version of SQL. ..maybe I'll make
    > this a seperate thread.
    >
    > RL

    Maybe you should ask in a related technical group.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:09:09 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> On Dec 27, 1:58 pm, Rex Ballard wrote:
    >>> On Dec 26, 6:29 pm, raylopez99 wrote:> On Dec
    >>> 26, 1:31 pm, Rex Ballard
    >>>
    >>> I use BOTH Windows AND Linux. My Z61P runs both Linux and Windows
    >>> using virtualization. My T40 runs Linux exclusively.
    >>>

    >> OK, thanks. If you know of any decent development tools for C++ with an
    >> emphasis on SQL language I might give Linux a whirl. I'm learning SQL
    >> programming now, and it seems the emphasis is on the GUI front end
    >> rather than the ANSI-standard SQL back end (Microsoft has excellent
    >> GUIs/APIs in the Access 2003 (Visual Basic) and SQL Server 2005 (C#.NET)
    >> languages, which is pretty cute), so I'm curious what whiz- bang GUI/API
    >> the Linux folks use for the front end...I notice even Oracle uses their
    >> own programming API/language for their version of SQL. ..maybe I'll make
    >> this a seperate thread.
    >>
    >> RL

    > Maybe you should ask in a related technical group.
    >
    > --
    > Rick

    Right! Because people that advocate Linux use would have absolutely no idea
    what programming tools to use on the OS they advocate to accomplish your
    goal.

    I wonder if they've heard of GIMP in here? After all, the newsgroup doesn't
    mention graphics apps.

    jim

  4. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL isported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:06:10 -0500, jim wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> OK, thanks. If you know of any decent development tools for C++ with
    >>> an emphasis on SQL language I might give Linux a whirl. I'm learning
    >>> SQL programming now, and it seems the emphasis is on the GUI front end
    >>> rather than the ANSI-standard SQL back end (Microsoft has excellent
    >>> GUIs/APIs in the Access 2003 (Visual Basic) and SQL Server 2005
    >>> (C#.NET) languages, which is pretty cute), so I'm curious what whiz-
    >>> bang GUI/API the Linux folks use for the front end...I notice even
    >>> Oracle uses their own programming API/language for their version of
    >>> SQL. ..maybe I'll make this a seperate thread.
    >>>
    >>> RL

    >> Maybe you should ask in a related technical group.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Right! Because people that advocate Linux use would have absolutely no
    > idea what programming tools to use on the OS they advocate to accomplish
    > your goal.
    >
    > I wonder if they've heard of GIMP in here? After all, the newsgroup
    > doesn't mention graphics apps.
    >
    > jim

    Wow... was that sarcasm? Hmmmm...
    Gee, I though to get answers about programming, you might sak in a
    programming group. No? Wow.

    Besides, he has proved, and stated, he doesn't really want answers.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:06:10 -0500, jim wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> Maybe you should ask in a related technical group.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> Right! Because people that advocate Linux use would have absolutely no
    >> idea what programming tools to use on the OS they advocate to accomplish
    >> your goal.
    >>
    >> I wonder if they've heard of GIMP in here? After all, the newsgroup
    >> doesn't mention graphics apps.
    >>
    >> jim

    > Wow... was that sarcasm? Hmmmm...
    > Gee, I though to get answers about programming, you might sak in a
    > programming group. No? Wow.
    >
    > Besides, he has proved, and stated, he doesn't really want answers.

    What exactly is the purpose of this newsgroup?

    jim

  6. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    jim wrote:

    > What exactly is the purpose of this newsgroup?

    *plonk*

  7. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.12.28.20.01.30.321040@nospam.invalid...
    > jim wrote:
    >
    >> What exactly is the purpose of this newsgroup?

    > *plonk*

    lol

    And I thought it was to promote Linux solutions for computing....

    Linux + Advocacy = ban on discussions of Linux solutions?

    And, some wonder why it is always "next year" as the year Linux will finally
    break through and Challenge Microsoft.

    jim

  8. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    Micoshaft's Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    > On Dec 27, 1:58*pm, Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> On Dec 26, 6:29 pm, raylopez99 wrote:> On Dec 26,
    >> 1:31 pm, Rex Ballard
    >>
    >> I use BOTH Windows AND Linux. *My Z61P runs both Linux and Windows
    >> using virtualization. *My T40 runs Linux exclusively.
    >>

    > OK, thanks. If you know of any decent development tools for C++ with
    > an emphasis on SQL language I might give Linux a whirl. I'm learning
    > SQL programming now, and it seems the emphasis is on the GUI front end
    > rather than the ANSI-standard SQL back end (Microsoft has excellent
    > GUIs/APIs in the Access 2003 (Visual Basic) and SQL Server 2005
    > (C#.NET) languages, which is pretty cute), so I'm curious what whiz-
    > bang GUI/API the Linux folks use for the front end...I notice even
    > Oracle uses their own programming API/language for their version of
    > SQL. ..maybe I'll make this a seperate thread.
    >
    > RL

    Oh man oh man! You need to UN-LEARN a LOT of micoshaft drivel before you
    can learn Linux and talk sense in a Linux newsgroup.

    Why go to such lengths to output so much micoshaft drivel?

    With something like Ubuntu Linux http://www.ubuntu.com ,
    use Gambas which comes with everything built
    in and if you need something extra write a C++ module
    and compile with gcc to do your bidding and shell it from within Gambas.

  9. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL isported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:54:34 -0500, jim wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:06:10 -0500, jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> Right! Because people that advocate Linux use would have absolutely
    >>> no idea what programming tools to use on the OS they advocate to
    >>> accomplish your goal.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if they've heard of GIMP in here? After all, the newsgroup
    >>> doesn't mention graphics apps.
    >>>
    >>> jim

    >> Wow... was that sarcasm? Hmmmm...
    >> Gee, I though to get answers about programming, you might sak in a
    >> programming group. No? Wow.
    >>
    >> Besides, he has proved, and stated, he doesn't really want answers.

    > What exactly is the purpose of this newsgroup?

    To compare Linux with various operating systems...

    .... and he has proved, and stated, he doesn't really want answers.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is portedto Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    OK, I read the first eight replies, and agree with jim: why are we
    here? What is the purpose of this newsgroup? Nobody seems to know
    anything.

    Seven points me to a general website and says "it's in there". Right
    (wrong).

    RL

  11. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    Micoshaft Corporation's Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    > OK, I read the first eight replies, and agree with jim: why are we
    > here? What is the purpose of this newsgroup? Nobody seems to know
    > anything.
    >
    > Seven points me to a general website and says "it's in there". Right
    > (wrong).

    Stop spliffing and read the COLA faq you dumb ass!!!

    > RL

  12. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    "7" wrote in message
    news:hEedj.69436$c_1.48384@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    > Micoshaft Corporation's Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of
    > Micoshaft
    > Corporation:
    >
    >> OK, I read the first eight replies, and agree with jim: why are we
    >> here? What is the purpose of this newsgroup? Nobody seems to know
    >> anything.
    >>
    >> Seven points me to a general website and says "it's in there". Right
    >> (wrong).

    > Stop spliffing and read the COLA faq you dumb ass!!!

    According to the COLA FAQ (at
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ ) " COLA is like a
    meeting hall for Linux advocacy. A place where those who advocate the use of
    Linux can meet and discuss all things Linux. In addition it is a place were
    individuals interested in Linux can come to gain an understanding of the
    Linux and the Linux community and to learn about the capabilities of Linux
    from those who are experienced with the use, administration, and development
    of Linux."

    And, it continues to say "The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is: For
    discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems.
    That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
    comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup as a
    place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the betterment
    of the Linux community and the promotion and development of Linux. It
    supports this as a place for those who would like to learn more about Linux
    to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does not call for it to be a
    place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order to discredit
    Linux."

    It continues...."On-topic is anything anything regarding Linux that is of
    interest to a person who advocates the use of Linux, or requests for
    information about Linux by a person who would like to learn about it. COLA
    is also a great place to share your Linux success stories."

    The original poster had asked about Linux technologies used to develop
    applications on Linux becease the OP was considering giving Linux a try.

    So, it would seem that the OP's queries as to what Linux tools there are for
    a particular task would be covered under the phrases "The newsgroup's
    charter is for the newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to
    discuss Linux, for the betterment of the Linux community and the promotion
    and development of Linux.", "It supports this as a place for those who would
    like to learn more about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux."
    and lastly "On-topic is anything anything regarding Linux that is of
    interest to a person who advocates the use of Linux, or requests for
    information about Linux by a person who would like to learn about it."

    The OP's queries seem to be spot on accoring to the sacred COLA
    FAQ......dumb ass.

    jim

  13. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    I hadn't run into Ray before and accepted him at his word.

    jim

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:0Zedj.54418$L%6.28330@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    >* jim fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> *plonk*

    >> And, some wonder why it is always "next year" as the year Linux will
    >> finally
    >> break through and Challenge Microsoft.

    > raylopez99 is a troll. He is not interested in any kind of solution,
    > whatsoever.
    >
    > --
    > Tux rox!

  14. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    * jim fired off this tart reply:

    >> *plonk*

    > And, some wonder why it is always "next year" as the year Linux will finally
    > break through and Challenge Microsoft.

    raylopez99 is a troll. He is not interested in any kind of solution,
    whatsoever.

    --
    Tux rox!

  15. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:53:14 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > OK, I read the first eight replies, and agree with jim: why are we
    > here? What is the purpose of this newsgroup? Nobody seems to know
    > anything.

    You're just here to troll. Most of the rest of us are here to advocate.

    --
    Kier

  16. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    * jim fired off this tart reply:

    > The OP's queries seem to be spot on accoring to the sacred COLA
    > FAQ......dumb ass.

    Technically, yes.

    Unfortunately, he asks his question only as a platform to jeer at Linux,
    not to learn anything.

    Just look at Subject:, for one thing.

    --
    Tux rox!

  17. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is ported to Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    * jim fired off this tart reply:

    > I hadn't run into Ray before and accepted him at his word.

    He's been here awhile this go-round. I think he even admitted in one
    post he just wanted to "learn Linux" so he could laugh at it.

    The problem is someone like you comes in and sees a small time-slice of
    the action and gets the wrong impression.

    --
    Tux rox!

  18. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is portedto Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    On Dec 28, 1:09 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Dec 27, 1:58 pm, RexBallard wrote:
    > > On Dec 26, 6:29 pm, raylopez99 wrote:> On Dec 26, 1:31 pm, RexBallard

    > > I use BOTH Windows AND Linux. My Z61P runs both Linux and Windows
    > > using virtualization. My T40 runs Linux exclusively.

    > OK, thanks. If you know of any decent development tools for C++ with
    > an emphasis on SQL language I might give Linux a whirl.

    Actually, there are several competing applications, and, as I have
    implied before, competition is good, because it tends to lead to
    better solutions and options oriented to different needs.

    > I'm learning SQL programming now, and it seems the emphasis
    > is on the GUI front end rather than the ANSI-standard SQL back
    > end (Microsoft has excellent GUIs/APIs in the Access 2003 (Visual Basic)

    Take a good look at Open Office Base. It's not quite as snazzy as
    Access, but it does make it possible to use a GUI interface to
    generate tables, views, schemas, and even reports using a graphical
    user interface. Even better, it actually DOES generate industry
    standard SQL and can be used with several ODBC or JDBC compatible
    databases, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, DB2, Oracle, Sybase, and of
    course, SQL Server.

    > and SQL Server 2005 (C#.NET) languages,

    You might want to look at PHP, but there is also mono, which is an
    industry standard and portable form of C#. Even better, if you like
    Java, which is an industry standard language that is WIDELY used
    throughout the ENTIRE IT industry, on practically EVERY platform,
    there are some excellent tools, including Eclipse, and a number of
    specialized Eclipse Plug-ins. There is even the C++ Development Tool
    kit (CDT) plug-in for Eclipse.

    There is also Kdevelop, and there are also commercial toolkits
    provided by IBM, Oracle, and Borland, all of which offer Linux
    versions. Many include free evaluation copies for new developers and
    students.

    Sun also has a Java development environment, I don't have any
    experience with it, but I've heard good things about it from others.

    > which is pretty cute), so I'm curious what whiz-
    > bang GUI/API the Linux folks use for the front end...I notice even
    > Oracle uses their own programming API/language for their version of
    > SQL. ..maybe I'll make this a seperate thread.

    There are actually a number of tools, but many of them are commercial
    versions, available for Linux. Many are available for evaluation
    downloads, and there are even student versions available, if you are
    seriously interested.

    There are also a number of Open Source packages that are also worth
    looking at, in addition to the ones listed above. MySQL, for example,
    has a GUI interface tool kit, that is included with most Linux
    distributions.

    http://search.techrepublic.com.com/s...vironment.html

    Ultimate++ IDE
    NetBeans

    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Devtools/ides.html

    There are almost 200 IDEs for Linux on that page, but Amy and Eclipse
    look pretty good.

    You can also look at Rational Application Developer, Rational Software
    Architect, and Rational System Developer. There are also good tools
    for WebSphere, and WebLogic.

    There are also some good toolkits that allow integration of SQL. Look
    at PHP, PERL, Python, Ruby on RAILS, and Zope. These are toolkits
    that let you combine standard SQL databases with advanced languages.
    In addition, there are a number of toolkits that allow you to generate
    applications using graphical tools.

    You might want to look at the quality of education you are getting, if
    the teacher is ONLY teaching you Databases using the Access GUI
    interfaces. Access can be a useful teaching tool, but it does not
    generate industry standard SQL unless you are very careful (Legal
    field names, validations, et al).

    The same objective can be accomplished using Open Office BASE.

    Hopefully, your teacher will be taking your class beyond Access and
    into the fundamentals, principles, and practices required to design
    and implement efficient and reliable relational databases that are
    large and more complex than some trivial demo store.

    One of the big problems with Access is that people do a little work on
    a trivial 3-5 table database and think they are a DBA. Even simple
    corporate databases often have 20-30 tables of 10-20 fields each,
    including normalization. Even worse, there are foreign key
    relationships, but they have been removed from the "production"
    databases for performance reasons. Then one of these junior DBAs who
    only know access get lost trying to understand the complex web of
    relationships when things go wrong.

    > RL

  19. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is portedto Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    On Dec 28, 11:01 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * jim fired off this tart reply:
    > > The OP's queries seem to be spot on accoring to the sacred COLA
    > > FAQ......dumb ass.

    > Technically, yes.
    >
    > Unfortunately, he asks his question only as a platform to jeer at Linux,
    > not to learn anything.

    This may be true, but by actually responding to the question, as I did
    to the main thread, it's possible to answer a legitimate question that
    IS being asked by many non-IT people.

    Most DBAs know multiple databases, on multiple platforms. It's pretty
    much a requirement of the job. It's also pretty much a requirement to
    be able to write standard scripts in portable SQL, as well as
    understanding how to "tune" queries and inserts to improve
    performance.

    > Just look at Subject:, for one thing.

    He probably doesn't realize that MySQL is one of the most widely
    supported APIs in the industry, with API kits for practically every
    language, application type, and IDE toolkit.

    > Tux rox!

  20. Re: What Linux programming tools for SQL are there? (MySQL is portedto Linux but that's a language, not a API)

    On Dec 29, 12:28*am, Rex Ballard wrote:

    Took a quick look at your links, and they are generally windows APIs
    with an emphasis on cross-platform; nothing wrong with that, but I
    just note that fact (that they also target Windows).
    http://search.techrepublic.com.com/s...vironment.html

    > You can also look at Rational Application Developer, Rational Software
    > Architect, and Rational System Developer. *There are also good tools
    > for WebSphere, and WebLogic.
    >
    > There are also some good toolkits that allow integration of SQL. *Look
    > at PHP, PERL, Python, Ruby on RAILS, and Zope. *These are toolkits
    > that let you combine standard SQL databases with advanced languages.
    > In addition, there are a number of toolkits that allow you to generate
    > applications using graphical tools.
    >
    > You might want to look at the quality of education you are getting, if
    > the teacher is ONLY teaching you Databases using the Access GUI
    > interfaces. *Access can be a useful teaching tool, but it does not
    > generate industry standard SQL unless you are very careful (Legal
    > field names, validations, et al).

    Yes. My teacher is me. I note your SQL concerns, as they are valid.

    > The same objective can be accomplished using Open Office BASE.
    >
    > Hopefully, your teacher will be taking your class beyond Access and
    > into the fundamentals, principles, and practices required to design
    > and implement efficient and reliable relational databases that are
    > large and more complex than some trivial demo store.

    Yes. Third Normal Form and the like. I've visited the experts at
    comp.databases.theory and know this stuff (at a first order level).

    > One of the big problems with Access is that people do a little work on
    > a trivial 3-5 table database and think they are a DBA. *Even simple
    > corporate databases often have 20-30 tables of 10-20 fields each,
    > including normalization. *Even worse, there are foreign key
    > relationships, but they have been removed from the "production"
    > databases for performance reasons. *Then one of these junior DBAs who
    > only know access get lost trying to understand the complex web of
    > relationships when things go wrong.

    Interesting. I thank you for your input. I am curious why somebody
    would revmove foreign key relationships, unless of course you don't
    plan to add any more data to the dB, and it's "read only".

    Anyway, back to using Windows since it appears porting to Linux is for
    serious hard-core coders (which I'm not--I just code for fun).

    RL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast