[News] GNU/Linux Spreads in Korean Authorities - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Spreads in Korean Authorities - Linux ; Haansoft to donate Linux based Hangul program to Daejeon City ,----[ Quote ] | The company provided 780 copies of the Linux-based Hangul 2005 to centers | that house infants and small children through Childcare Center Association of | Daejeon ...

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Spreads in Korean Authorities

    Haansoft to donate Linux based Hangul program to Daejeon City

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The company provided 780 copies of the Linux-based Hangul 2005 to centers
    | that house infants and small children through Childcare Center Association of
    | Daejeon city.
    `----

    http://www.koreaitdaily.com/ddaily/v...e.do?sn=100897

    Quote for the day:

    "Because it owns the operating system, Microsoft is the essential utility of
    the information age. It acts as a kind of gatekeeper to the pipeline of
    computing innovation, sitting there and deciding whether to help some
    innovation or slow it down."

    --James F. Moore, president of Geopartners Research Inc.

    Related:

    North, South Korea Unite Over Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The bitter political foes will team with China on the project, tentatively
    | named "Hana Linux"
    `----

    http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...lobal+business
    http://tinyurl.com/2tzgrp

    Two Koreas Join Forces to Develop Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | South and North Korea team up to develop a version of ‘Hana Linux
    | (tentatively named)’ and set standards.
    `----

    http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/det...d=200712060004

    ODF a National Standard in Korea

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The proposal for ODF to be accepted as a Malaysian Standard by SIRIM,
    | Department of Standards Malaysia and ultimately the Minister of Science,
    | Technology & Innovation is dormant for more than a year now. Four months
    | after the Malaysian proposal went to sleep, Italy made ODF a National
    | Standard. Eight months after that, Korea has followed suit. With this Korean
    | news, perhaps the Malaysian proposal will be awakened. * *
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007...national-.html

    Korea, No with comments to OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Korean government concluded that OOXML is incomplete for ISO standards right
    | now and suggested some of complements for that.
    `----

    http://channy.creation.net/antiooxml...-no-ooxml.html

    The cost of monoculture

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Korea will only get beyond this problem by 1) applying Korean laws
    | on open standards to the certificate authorities, 2) reassigning new
    | certificates which work with open web standards to all Koreans, 3)
    | reprogramming all Korean websites to support 128 bit SSL which will
    | allow for a heterogeneous marketplace of operating systems and web
    | browsers. This is a herculean task and thus Korea stays hostage to
    | Redmond.
    |
    | Fascinating history. Unintended consequences and de-facto monopolies
    | create costs too high to calculate and must be borne without question.
    `----

    http://www.kanai.net/weblog/archive/...h53m55s#003095

    Is MS Overcharging Koreans for Vistas?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft?s Windows Vista program is selling in South Korea at
    | prices up to 70 percent higher than in the United States or
    | Japan, with Microsoft blaming Korea's immature market
    | for the price difference.
    `----

    http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/2007...8202953460.htm

    Consumers in No Hurry for Vista Upgrade

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a survey of 4,144 members of Danawa.com, a price comparison site,
    | only 14 percent of respondents said that they will immediately upgrade
    | to the Vista platform when Microsoft releases it on January 30.
    `----

    http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/...8214111890.htm

    Korean government warns against Vista upgrade

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Ministry of Information and Communication said that it wished it
    | could tell a private company like Microsoft to postpone the release
    | of Vista, but it can't. The best thing, an official said, was not to
    | install Vista before you know what you're getting into.
    `----

    South Korea, OSS License Guide Announced

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Guide explains how to strategically manage and utilize open source SW as
    | well as what the open source SW is and how to use it. Explanation for GPL, an
    | open source SW, published in June, 2007, is included in the Guide as well. *
    `----

    http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/ent...9163094,00.htm

    Korean software firm sues Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to Korean newspaper Chosun, the US software mammoth has been
    | accused of causing a loss in sales revenue estimated at W30bn (US$1=W918)
    | because the firm's Windows operating system comes pre-loaded with a media
    | player and instant messaging. *
    |
    | Seoul Central District Court confirmed yesterday that Digito was suing
    | Microsoft in the US and Korea, claiming that the software giant had violated
    | the Fair Trade Act since 2000. *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...ues_microsoft/

    Motorola adds Carrier Grade Linux partner

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Embedded Linux provider Wind River has forged a joint development, marketing,
    | and support agreement with Motorola's network equipment division, it says.
    | The "strategic alliance" aims to bring Wind River's Carrier Grade Linux (CGL) *
    | and VxWorks OSes to Motorola's AdvancedTCA and MicroTCA (pictured at left)
    | products. *
    `----

    Motorola selling Razr2 phone in S.Korea

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Motorola accounted for 11.5 percent of the Korean handset market as of the
    | end of April. Samsung Electronics Co. held 55 percent and LG Electronics Inc.
    | had 19 percent, according to Korea-based ATLAS Research Group. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070629/...motorola_razr2

    Korean court rebuffs Microsoft in patents case

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `---- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/27/ms_korea_court/

    Consumers in No Hurry for Vista Upgrade

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a survey of 4,144 members of Danawa.com, a price comparison site,
    | only 14 percent of respondents said that they will immediately upgrade
    | to the Vista platform when Microsoft releases it on January 30.
    `----

    http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/...8214111890.htm

    Haansoft Teams Up with Redgate, Targets Linux Market in Asia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Haansoft said on Wednesday that it had teamed up with domestic
    | security firm Redgate to reinforce security for 'Asianux.'
    `----

    http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/det...d=200701110004

    First phase of Korea's open-source city is high success

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Following the trend of open source adaptation in major cities worldwide,
    | one of the major Korean cities, Gwangju Metropolitan City, successfully
    | jumped onto the open source transition, receiving spotlight from related
    | industry.
    `----

    http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/ent...9154182,00.htm

    South Korea's ETRI develops advanced Linux desktop search system, puts end to
    erroneous results

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On 21st, South Korean R&D firm ETRI announced that they have developed new
    | Linux desktop search system, 'antbear'. The antbear can analyze and run
    | advanced text searches, producing more accurate results by precisely
    | analyzing the search words.
    `----

    http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/int...9154048,00.htm

    An open source development project 'Winter of Code' just got launched!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Soonseon Kwon, who runs KLDP (Korean Linux Documentation Project)
    | said, "This is the first ever open source event in Korea and I hope
    | it will serve as a good opportunity to promote the open source to
    | Korean students. I also hope that both the students and resulting
    | projects can put a positive effect on the open source community."
    `----

    http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/ent...9153660,00.htm

    'Genome Project' Led by Open Source HPC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The BLAST tool module is highly compatible to run on Linux
    | platform with advantage of considerably faster result compared
    | to running on other platform.
    `----

    http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/ent...9153485,00.htm

    Army Considers Shift to Open-Source Programs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Following the trend of the nation's government agencies, universities
    | and post offices, the South Korean military is considering jumping onto
    | the open-source bandwagon.
    |
    | Open source refers to programs, of which source codes are available for
    | use or modification by anyone. The codes are not owned by an individual
    | or company.
    | *
    | [...]
    |
    | The Army has shown interest in open-source programs, such as Linux, over
    | the past few years, and it began two pilot runs with Linux recently.
    |
    | It plans to invest up to 400 million won this year to build an education
    | center for open-source software and establish systems to run war-game
    | simulations based on Linux.
    |
    | In addition, Army computer officials met with Linux experts at the
    | state-backed Korea IT Industry Promotion Agency (KIPA) late last month
    | to delve into the feasibility of its Linux scheme.
    |
    | "At the request of the Army, we visited them to explain Linux in late
    | August," a KIPA official said. "We hope it deploys Linux as its main
    | operating system."
    |
    | "If the Army that puts security and stability first selects Linux, it
    | would provide momentum for the country's open-source initiative since
    | the decision would assure people of the reliability of Linux," he added.
    |
    | Linux is free software that offers an alternative operating system to
    | the closed-door Windows operating program owned by Microsoft, which
    | today dominates the global market.
    |
    | The Korean government is working to reduce its reliance on Windows by
    | strengthening the presence of Linux and other open-source programs.
    |
    | Korea Post, the country's postal service provider, last year started a
    | four-year program to install a Linux-based operating system on thousands
    | of PCs in its nationwide branches.
    |
    | A new online information system for schools, dubbed the National
    | Education Information System, also opted to use Linux-powered platforms
    | on its 2,331 servers last year.
    |
    | In addition, earlier this year, the government designated Kwangju City as
    | a Linux city and the Gangwon Provincial University as a Linux university.
    | The two organizations have installed open-source software as their primary
    | operating systems.
    `----

    http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/2006...7155210440.htm

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Spreads in Korean Authorities

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > Haansoft to donate Linux based Hangul program to Daejeon City
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The company provided 780 copies of the Linux-based Hangul 2005 to centers
    >| that house infants and small children through Childcare Center Association of
    >| Daejeon city.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.koreaitdaily.com/ddaily/v...e.do?sn=100897
    >
    > Quote for the day:
    >
    > "Because it owns the operating system, Microsoft is the essential utility of
    > the information age. It acts as a kind of gatekeeper to the pipeline of
    > computing innovation, sitting there and deciding whether to help some
    > innovation or slow it down."
    >
    > --James F. Moore, president of Geopartners Research Inc.

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/microsoft.html

    Thank you, Microsoft, and please get out of the way.

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread