[News] Is GNU/Linux Gradually Taking Over Laptops? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Is GNU/Linux Gradually Taking Over Laptops? - Linux ; 2008: The Year that MS Loses the Notebook Wars? ,----[ Quote ] | Face it, now that the dam has broken with the OLPC, the EEE PC and now the | prospect of Everex’s Cloudbook coming out in January at ...

  1. [News] Is GNU/Linux Gradually Taking Over Laptops?

    2008: The Year that MS Loses the Notebook Wars?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Face it, now that the dam has broken with the OLPC, the EEE PC and now the
    | prospect of Everex’s Cloudbook coming out in January at CES, Microsoft is
    | really feeling the heat from Linux in this market. It also doesn’t help that
    | people have to Microsoft’s UMPC hardware offering with either loathing,
    | disbelief ($1100 for THAT?!) or just plain ignored it.
    `----

    http://opsamericas.com/?p=514

    Quote for the day:

    "One smaller motivation which, in part, stems from altruism is
    Microsoft-bashing."

    --Vinod Valloppillil, Halloween I (Microsoft)

    Related:

    Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
    | time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
    | tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
    | in users' hands. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
    | point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
    | XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
    | Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
    | no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
    | of the desktop market pie. * * *
    `----

    Where does Linux go from here?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux and free software are here to stay. No single commercial firm will ever
    | control the Linux ecosystem like Microsoft has the rest of the software
    | industry. Though both may prosper, the bazaar will outlive the boardrooms,
    | and Linux popularity will continue to grow on servers, desktops, appliances,
    | and embedded devices. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/119865s

    This time for sure on mobile Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Wal-Mart Linux PC, priced at $198, is sold out. Zonbu seems to be gaining
    | traction, with a notebook priced at $279.
    |
    | “You’re seeing incredibly improved device drivers. We’ve got hundreds now.
    | This is a phenomenal effort that plays to the strength of Linux, a volunteer
    | community representing millions of dollars in free development. *
    |
    | “You’re seeing more manufacturers shipping Linux desktops, PCs and laptops
    | but also mobile Internet devices from Acer, Motorola’s Razr, TiVo…there’s a
    | slew of new devices coming out.” *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1773

    Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
    | didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
    | the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
    | numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
    | handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *
    `----

    Google's mobile move: awe-inspiring and terrifying

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is also another awe-inspiring -- or terrifying, depending on one's
    | perspective -- display of the engineering and business resources Google can
    | unleash and of the power it has to influence, disrupt and rearrange markets. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93133

    Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Anian, a Reuters company that tracks industry trends for institutional
    | investors, reported last month that Google had engaged Taiwan's High Tech
    | Computer Corpto design a Linux
    | software-based phone for launch in the first quarter of 2008. *
    `----

    http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nN02242073

    Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
    | second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
    | widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
    | 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share. *
    `---- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

    After the Desktop -- What?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
    | with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
    | the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
    | will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
    | machine on a particular room every time you need access to
    | information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
    | of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
    | yard every time you need water.
    `----

    http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com...ktop-what.html

    Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
    | that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
    `----

    http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006...arket-by-2010/

    FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
    | alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
    `----

    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-os/2007-01-03

  2. Re: [News] Is GNU/Linux Gradually Taking Over Laptops?

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > Quote for the day:
    >
    > "One smaller motivation which, in part, stems from altruism is
    > Microsoft-bashing."
    >
    > --Vinod Valloppillil, Halloween I (Microsoft)

    I like the quote-for-the-day ideo, Roy.

    Might want to keep it to one a day, though

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: [News] Is GNU/Linux Gradually Taking Over Laptops?

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 28 December 2007 23:03 : \____

    > * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Quote for the day:
    >>
    >> "One smaller motivation which, in part, stems from altruism is
    >> Microsoft-bashing."
    >>
    >> --Vinod Valloppillil, Halloween I
    >> (Microsoft)

    > I like the quote-for-the-day ideo, Roy.
    >
    > Might want to keep it to one a day, though

    Overload? I'll do fewer, I promise.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | WARNING: /dev/null running out of space
    run-level 2 2007-12-10 11:12 last=