Wal-Mart cans video download service

,----[ Quote ]
| Those who did avail themselves of the service can, of course, keep the vids
| they've bought, but can only play them on the computer onto which they
| downloaded them. Wal-Mart is not, the faq note, offering refunds.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...deo_downloads/

Mentioned earlier, but without the effect of DRM, which is just a mechanism for
making content expire. Copyright infingers don't need DRM-protected (read:
DRM-crippled) content anyway, so only legitimate customers are hurt.

Earlier:

Wal-Mart cancels movie download service

,----[ Quote ]
| HP spokesman Hector Marinez said the company decided to discontinue its video
| download-only merchant store services because the market for paid video
| downloads did not perform "as expected." He noted that the Internet video
| business remains uncertain and is changing rapidly. *
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6224114.html

DRM has also just died (for music):

Warner agrees to use MP3 format

,----[ Quote ]
| Warner Music Group is making its music available for download from Amazon in
| MP3 format without copy protection.
`----

Related:

DRM deathwatch: Sony, Wal-Mart