Is Microsoft the Great Satan? - Linux

This is a discussion on Is Microsoft the Great Satan? - Linux ; "Bob Hauck" wrote in message news:slrnfnbeb4.pit.postmaster@robin.haucks.org... > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:51:25 -0500, amicus_curious wrote: > >> "Linonut" wrote in message >> news:%wedj.54401$L%6.42926@bignews3.bellsouth.net. .. > >>>* amicus_curious fired off this tart reply: > >> Gates has donated a much ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

  1. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    "Bob Hauck" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:51:25 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:%wedj.54401$L%6.42926@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>>* amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    >> Gates has donated a much higher percentage of his net worth to
    >> charities than Shuttleworth.

    > And you know this for a fact do you, as opposed to having pulled it out
    > of your ass?

    I would prefer "superficial analysis" but the cite says $10M bucks for
    Ubuntu and he paid $25M for the ride. Ubuntu is hardly charity, but
    qualifies in this thread.

    >> What is the history of Shuttleworth's original company anyway? Did he
    >> produce anything with a fair value? Did he have investors? Whatever
    >> happened to his business?

    > He founded Thawte, one of the original companies selling trusted SSL
    > certificates for web commerce. He sold the company to Verisign in 1999.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thawte
    >
    > I understand that your schtick is a kind of know-nothingness, but you
    > really ought to make some attempt to know what the hell you're talking
    > about.

    I wouldn't want to spoil your fun.

  2. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:Hkjdj.19492$L27.1601@bignews9.bellsouth.net.. .
    >* Bob Hauck fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:51:25 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the history of Shuttleworth's original company anyway? Did he
    >>> produce anything with a fair value? Did he have investors? Whatever
    >>> happened to his business?

    >> He founded Thawte, one of the original companies selling trusted SSL
    >> certificates for web commerce. He sold the company to Verisign in 1999.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thawte
    >>
    >> I understand that your schtick is a kind of know-nothingness, but you
    >> really ought to make some attempt to know what the hell you're talking
    >> about.

    > amicuss's schtick is to see how much "debate" he can manufacture out of
    > nothingness.

    Well, maybe so, but why are you so reluctant to offer a positive picture of
    your admitted hero? Is it not fair to compare the charity of Gates with
    that of Shuttleworth? Would you rather pretend that Vista is so horrible
    that people will finally accept Linux as the lesser evil?

  3. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:58:52 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Bob Hauck" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:51:25 -0500, amicus_curious
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>> news:%wedj.54401$L%6.42926@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> Gates has donated a much higher percentage of his net worth to
    >>> charities than Shuttleworth.

    >> And you know this for a fact do you, as opposed to having pulled it out
    >> of your ass?
    >>

    > I would prefer "superficial analysis" but the cite says $10M bucks for
    > Ubuntu and he paid $25M for the ride. Ubuntu is hardly charity, but
    > qualifies in this thread.

    How?
    (snip)
    --
    Rick

  4. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 22:49:29 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Get out of the way so we 'free software' tightwads can freely copy
    >> everyone else's good ideas because we have absolutely none of our own.
    >>
    >> What utter idiots. Users have no more right to software 'freedoms'
    >> the secret formula for Coca-Cola.
    >>
    >> If any of you cola bozos - that means you too Linonut - gave two ****s
    >> about 'free software' you wouldn't be developing proprietary systems by
    >> day and whining about MS by night.
    >>
    >> Thank you, Microsoft, for your incredibly good software.

    Dictionary.com:

    mas·och·ism
    –noun

    1. Psychiatry. the condition in which sexual gratification depends on
    suffering, physical pain, and humiliation.

    2. gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc.,
    inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions
    or the actions of others, esp. the tendency to seek this form of
    gratification.

    3. the act of turning one's destructive tendencies inward or upon oneself.

    4. the tendency to find pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, etc.

    > DFS -- Drone For Softee.

    Dumb, Full of ****

    Any others?

  5. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > --
    > Rick

    Is it not enough for you to just be an old man? Do you need to show
    yourself as an old fool as well? Remember the old saying "You can't teach
    an old man new tricks."? Give it up, you lack sufficient understanding.

  6. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:12:37 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Is it not enough for you to just be an old man? Do you need to show
    > yourself as an old fool as well? Remember the old saying "You can't
    > teach an old man new tricks."? Give it up, you lack sufficient
    > understanding.

    Idiot.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    Rick wrote:
    > I have purchased many distros in the
    > past, and contribute to some OSS projects.

    Name the distros and OSS projects to which you have contributed. Also, state
    exactly what your contributions consisted of.

  8. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:59:35 -0600, SW wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >> I have purchased many distros in the
    >> past, and contribute to some OSS projects.

    > Name the distros and OSS projects to which you have contributed. Also,
    > state exactly what your contributions consisted of.

    No.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    > Well, you recognize reality at least. But how is the minimal Vista, which
    > may not take advantage of any of the new sizzle that requires the enhanced
    > hardware, any worse than XP which took no advantage of any regardless?

    Poorer driver support.
    Poorer application support.
    A somewhat newer and less proven body of code (hence more bugs and
    vulnerabilities).

    > Vista has a lot of annoying administration things, like forcing a user to
    > authorize an administrative mode in order to install or modify software
    > programs, not unlike Linux insisting on a root credential for the same set
    > of purposes. It seems to me that such a move in the direction of Linux
    > being heralded as a fatal flaw does not speak very well of the idea and thus
    > the use of Linux by the same token.

    You basically don't know what you are talking about. Never used
    Windows?

    --
    Tux rox!

  10. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:lcOdj.55832$L%6.38967@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    >* amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Well, you recognize reality at least. But how is the minimal Vista,
    >> which
    >> may not take advantage of any of the new sizzle that requires the
    >> enhanced
    >> hardware, any worse than XP which took no advantage of any regardless?

    > Poorer driver support.
    > Poorer application support.
    > A somewhat newer and less proven body of code (hence more bugs and
    > vulnerabilities).

    Yada, yada, yada. You parrot the mantra, but put no meaning to the words.
    "Poorer driver support" means what? That there are devices that do not have
    a Vista specific driver available? Probably so, but that is not much of a
    problem if you don't use the device. Vista ships with new computers and has
    all of its drivers needed. What you talk of simply doesn't matter to 99.99%
    of the real people.

    "Poor application support"? I have no idea what you are referencing here.
    Vista works with everything that I use or else has the functions once
    assigned to a third-party function embedded in the platform. You would have
    to describe the specific problem with some specific application that someone
    might care about to have any credibility on this issue.

    "Less proven code" is another silly bogeyman that you anti-MS folk like to
    infer, but from everything that I have seen, the Microsoft code is far
    superior in design and documentation to the the majority of OSS wannabeware
    that is to be found around the internet. That is to be expected, of course,
    since Microsoft can pick and choose from the elite in the business and OSS
    has to rely on those who feel magnanimous to the herd of hobbyists and such
    who are willing to try to get by with non-commercial grade products.

    >> Vista has a lot of annoying administration things, like forcing a user to
    >> authorize an administrative mode in order to install or modify software
    >> programs, not unlike Linux insisting on a root credential for the same
    >> set
    >> of purposes. It seems to me that such a move in the direction of Linux
    >> being heralded as a fatal flaw does not speak very well of the idea and
    >> thus
    >> the use of Linux by the same token.

    > You basically don't know what you are talking about. Never used
    > Windows?

    You would have to elaborate on that.

  11. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:lcOdj.55832$L%6.38967@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>* amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> Well, you recognize reality at least. But how is the minimal Vista,
    >>> which
    >>> may not take advantage of any of the new sizzle that requires the
    >>> enhanced
    >>> hardware, any worse than XP which took no advantage of any regardless?

    >> Poorer driver support.
    >> Poorer application support.
    >> A somewhat newer and less proven body of code (hence more bugs and
    >> vulnerabilities).
    >>

    > Yada, yada, yada. You parrot the mantra, but put no meaning to the words.

    I'm not going to have much to say to such idiocy.

    Sorry dude, wrong file. You lost me at the word "parrot".

    Come back when you can back up your sophistry with intelligence and
    knowledge, minus the disparagement.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge

    Knowledge is defined (Oxford English Dictionary) variously as (i)
    expertise, and skills acquired by a person through experience or
    education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject,
    (ii) what is known in a particular field or in total; facts and
    information or (iii) awareness or familiarity gained by experience of
    a fact or situation.

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:MqPdj.55873$L%6.2007@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .
    >* amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:lcOdj.55832$L%6.38967@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>>* amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Poorer driver support.
    >>> Poorer application support.
    >>> A somewhat newer and less proven body of code (hence more bugs and
    >>> vulnerabilities).
    >>>

    >> Yada, yada, yada. You parrot the mantra, but put no meaning to the
    >> words.

    > I'm not going to have much to say to such idiocy.
    >
    > Sorry dude, wrong file. You lost me at the word "parrot".
    >
    > Come back when you can back up your sophistry with intelligence and
    > knowledge, minus the disparagement.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge
    >
    > Knowledge is defined (Oxford English Dictionary) variously as (i)
    > expertise, and skills acquired by a person through experience or
    > education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject,
    > (ii) what is known in a particular field or in total; facts and
    > information or (iii) awareness or familiarity gained by experience of
    > a fact or situation.
    >
    > --
    > Tux rox!

  13. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:MqPdj.55873$L%6.2007@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .

    > I'm not going to have much to say to such idiocy.

    You so often run and hide from the reality. Doesn't this wear on you after
    such a long time at it? My post contained the obvious answer to the charge,
    i.e. drivers only matter where they are missing or insufficient, which has
    never been the case with Vista as distributed on a new computer by a
    reputable OEM. For normal people, the issue simply does not exist.

    Ditto the specious charge of "poor application support". Nothing in the
    common usage suffers in the slightest and most popular applications have
    Vista enhanced versions available that take advantage of new features. The
    common situation is that a computer user will get Vista on their next
    computer and either be able to use their old software as is or will purchase
    updated versions of favorites.

    I can understand where you have no effective answer to that, since none
    exists.

  14. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:13:20 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:MqPdj.55873$L%6.2007@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>
    >> I'm not going to have much to say to such idiocy.
    >>

    > You so often run and hide from the reality. Doesn't this wear on you
    > after such a long time at it? My post contained the obvious answer to
    > the charge, i.e. drivers only matter where they are missing or
    > insufficient, which has never been the case with Vista as distributed on
    > a new computer by a reputable OEM. For normal people, the issue simply
    > does not exist.

    So, if the people exists for people, they aren't normal?

    > Ditto the specious charge of "poor application support". Nothing in the
    > common usage suffers in the slightest and most popular applications have

    .... and you get do decide what common usage is ...

    > Vista enhanced versions available that take advantage of new features.
    > The common situation is that a computer user will get Vista on their
    > next computer and either be able to use their old software as is or will
    > purchase updated versions of favorites.

    .... yup, the upgrade treadmill.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    Linonut wrote:

    > Come back when you can back up your sophistry with intelligence and
    > knowledge, minus the disparagement.

    What?!?! You've answered many of my posts with one word: idiot.

    Linocrite.

  16. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:26:52 +0000, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:13:20 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:MqPdj.55873$L%6.2007@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>>
    >>> I'm not going to have much to say to such idiocy.
    >>>

    >> You so often run and hide from the reality. Doesn't this wear on you
    >> after such a long time at it? My post contained the obvious answer to
    >> the charge, i.e. drivers only matter where they are missing or
    >> insufficient, which has never been the case with Vista as distributed
    >> on a new computer by a reputable OEM. For normal people, the issue
    >> simply does not exist.

    > So, if the people exists for people, they aren't normal?

    Amicus' apologies for Vista sort of remind me where Linux was in the
    mid-90's.

  17. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:26:52 +0000, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:13:20 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:MqPdj.55873$L%6.2007@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>>
    >>> I'm not going to have much to say to such idiocy.
    >>>

    >> You so often run and hide from the reality. Doesn't this wear on you
    >> after such a long time at it? My post contained the obvious answer to
    >> the charge, i.e. drivers only matter where they are missing or
    >> insufficient, which has never been the case with Vista as distributed
    >> on a new computer by a reputable OEM. For normal people, the issue
    >> simply does not exist.

    > So, if the people exists for people, they aren't normal?

    Fix this:

    So, if the problem exists for people, they aren't normal?

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Come back when you can back up your sophistry with intelligence and
    >> knowledge, minus the disparagement.

    > What?!?! You've answered many of my posts with one word: idiot.
    >
    > Linocrite.

    You should be able to discern disparagement from complete
    dismissal.

    --
    Tux rox!

  19. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Get out of the way so we 'free software' tightwads can freely copy
    >> everyone else's good ideas because we have absolutely none of our
    >> own.

    Linonut starts to turn tail and walk away...

    >> What utter idiots. Users have no more right to software 'freedoms'
    >> know the secret formula for Coca-Cola.

    ....his pace is picking up...

    >> If any of you cola bozos - that means you too Linonut - gave two
    >> ****s about 'free software' you wouldn't be developing proprietary
    >> systems by day and whining about MS by night.

    .... now he's in full 'run away' mode!

    >> Thank you, Microsoft, for your incredibly good software.

    > DFS -- Drone For Softee.

    Come back Linonut! Own up to your love for Windows.

  20. Re: Is Microsoft the Great Satan?

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> Get out of the way so we 'free software' tightwads can freely copy
    >>> everyone else's good ideas because we have absolutely none of our
    >>> own.

    > Linonut starts to turn tail and walk away...
    >

    >>> What utter idiots. Users have no more right to software 'freedoms'
    >>> know the secret formula for Coca-Cola.

    > ...his pace is picking up...
    >

    >>> If any of you cola bozos - that means you too Linonut - gave two
    >>> ****s about 'free software' you wouldn't be developing proprietary
    >>> systems by day and whining about MS by night.

    > ... now he's in full 'run away' mode!

    You do realize you are talking to yourself, don't you?

    --
    GNU/Linux rox, Tux!