[News] GNU/Linux Saves PCs from the Dumpster - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Saves PCs from the Dumpster - Linux ; VectorLinux: Save A PC From The Dumpster ,----[ Quote ] | Like Puppy Linux (my other current favorite "small is beautiful" | distribution), Vector is designed to be tiny, swift, and to get the job done, | and it seems ...

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Saves PCs from the Dumpster

    VectorLinux: Save A PC From The Dumpster

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Like Puppy Linux (my other current favorite "small is beautiful"
    | distribution), Vector is designed to be tiny, swift, and to get the job done,
    | and it seems to succeed nicely on all three counts. For an interesting
    | comparison of VectorLinux 5.9 (in beta) and another small distro, Zenwalk,
    | check out Paul Marwick's head-to-head review of the two.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...linux_sav.html

    Thin Puppy Torture Test II: Day 14

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I continue to praise Geany, the GUI text editor in Puppy Linux.
    |
    | I'm not a programmer, but I use text editors just about every day. Especially
    | for Web work, text editors are must-have tools for writers and editors.
    `----

    http://www.insidesocal.com/click/200..._ii_day_4.html

    Not part of the forced upgrade/planned obsolescence cartel.

    Quote for the day:

    "It is widely believed that politics and economics are separate and largely
    unconnected; that individual freedom is a political problem and material
    welfare and economical problem; and that any kind of political arrangements
    can be combined with any kind of economic arrangements."

    --Milton Friedman

    Related:

    How to keep your old PC alive

    ,----[ Gist ]
    | Firewall – Proxy server
    | Development server
    | Storage Server
    | Media Station
    | P2P Download Machine
    | Small Workstation
    | Thin Client
    | Cluster
    `----

    http://www.pramnos.com/story69-2331.html

    Stop! Don't trash those old PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Interestingly enough, there is another operating system that most people are
    | not familiar with called Linux. Linux (and its earlier version UNIX) have
    | been around for a long time helping us place phones calls and providing
    | access to the Internet. Linux, up until this point, has been mostly behind
    | the scenes just doing its job and doing it well. You can get started with
    | Linux at www.linux.org. * *
    `----

    http://www.reporter-times.com/?modul...54&format=html

    Linux For An Old Laptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have such a machine (Pentium 266 MMX, 80 MB RAM, 4 GB HD) which still
    | sports a "Designed for Windows 95" sticker.
    `----

    http://www.pcdailytips.com/2007/07/2...an-old-laptop/

    Apple //c as a Dumb Terminal to my Mac mini

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The //c spends basically all of its time serving as an IRC chat terminal,
    | displaying a shell session of either irssi or Rhapsody, both terminal-based
    | IRC clients, running on my remote Linux server by way of a secure shell
    | connection. It's a rather abstracted approach, but it's great to twiddle
    | the //c's keys in a meaningful way every workday. * *
    `----

    http://www.bytecellar.com/archives/000113.php

    Turn your computer into a media center PC with GeeXBoX 1.1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | GeeXBoX 1.1 is a mere 8.9MB ISO download. Its hardware requirements are
    | minimal -- a Pentium II 400MHz processor and 64MB of RAM are enough to power
    | GeeXBoX -- and of course you'll need a CD/DVD drive to play your media. *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/118210

    Performance Duel: Koolu 500 MHz vs. Pentium III 666 MHz

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We also use Ubuntu in our Monastery office. If you read the minimal
    | specifications for Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn, it states you need at least a 500 MHz
    | machine. We are interested in using computers that are low power, so a
    | modern, general-purpose Operating System that has such modest requirements
    | suits us fine, as it will run on older, less power-hungry computers. * *
    `----

    http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-Rk...Gg--?cq=1&p=61

    The Year Of The Small Distro

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 2007 may well be the year of the small distro.
    `----

    http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog...ll_distro.html

    ReviewLinux.Com: First Look at MEPIS AntiX 7.0 Beta 2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I am always looking for a faster Linux OS that just does the basics. I want a
    | low-overhead Linux distro that can run on almost any machine be it a Pentium
    | 2 to a Pentium 4. MEPIS AntiX 7.0 Beta 2 might just be the one. Check out my
    | short little review about this Linux distro plus my flash video showing off
    | this fast and lightweight Linux OS. * *
    `----

    http://www.reviewlinux.com/index.php?m=show&id=6903

    10 ways Linux can breath life into your old PCs

    ,----[ Gist ]
    | # MythTV
    |
    | # Firewall
    |
    | # Photo Frame
    |
    | # CNC Controller
    |
    | # Classic Game Console
    |
    | # Home Server
    |
    | # Kitchen Computer
    |
    | # Mp3 JukeBox
    |
    | # Webcam Feed
    |
    | # Asterisk Home PBX

    `----

    http://icanhaslinux.com/2007/09/07/1...-your-old-pcs/

    Put your old machine to good use

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | PCLinuxOS, which, along with Kubuntu and Ubuntu is one of the best
    | Linux distributions around, only requires an old Pentium II (!) to
    | run nicely. The entire cost of Linux is the cost of the blank disk
    | you'll need to burn yourself a copy, so it's worth it to play around.
    | There's a good chance you'll like what you see.
    `----

    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...e_N.htm?csp=34
    http://tinyurl.com/292b73

    How To Revive An Old PC With Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sure, it could go to the landfill, or you might be able to get a
    | tax deduction from donating it to a local school. Or, using a
    | Linux-based operating system, you could turn it into a
    | functional desktop, browser, and e-mail client, and put it
    | back to work.
    `----

    How to revive an old PC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For better performance, most LiveCD distros can be installed onto a hard
    | disk, but the process isn't as easy as it is with a conventional distro.
    | There's still some hope, though. Currently the Ubuntu Lite project is working
    | on a special customised release of Ubuntu for very low-end PCs. Similarly,
    | the RULE Project offers a way to install current and recent releases of Red
    | Hat's Fedora on low-end machines. * *
    `----

    How to revitalize mature pentiums

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hardware that is obsolete in Windows World is not obsolete in the real
    | world!
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...free_computing

    Build This Cheap But Effective Firewall

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Fight the bad guys without busting your budget. Here's all you'll
    | need to create a low-cost, super-secure firewall using
    | Linux-based freeware and an old PC.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/story...SSfeed_IWK_All
    http://tinyurl.com/ypqfrz

    Expert shares secrets to saving thousands with K12LTSP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The K12 Linux Terminal Server Project (K12LTSP) is a thin client
    | distribution designed for use in schools.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Arkiletian estimates that his lab cost only $4,000 to set up --
    | about a tenth the cost of buying replacement workstations.
    `----

    http://enterprise.linux.com/article....&tid=23&tid=46

    Column: Linux lets you avoid upgrading computer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Combine the alternative of using a Linux desktop with being able
    | to use older computers often donated by Fortune 500 companies when
    | they cycle to new systems every three to four years and you start
    | to have a financially compelling argument for not having the same
    | technology as everyone else.
    |
    | If you have a very large network, the finance picture needs to take
    | into account the fact that your technicians would need to be familiar
    | with another technology, but for smaller nonprofits and schools
    | systems, I would seriously consider this desktop platform.
    `----

    http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/...WS01/701080307

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Saves PCs from the Dumpster

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > VectorLinux: Save A PC From The Dumpster
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Like Puppy Linux (my other current favorite "small is beautiful"
    >| distribution), Vector is designed to be tiny, swift, and to get the job done,
    >| and it seems to succeed nicely on all three counts. For an interesting
    >| comparison of VectorLinux 5.9 (in beta) and another small distro, Zenwalk,
    >| check out Paul Marwick's head-to-head review of the two.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...linux_sav.html

    It would be interesting to see an analysis of the carbon footprint of
    eg., using a 10 year old laptop (I'm using a Tecra 8100 in Canada at the
    moment which is running Debian and a 2.6 kernel), versus using something
    like the Asus Eee instead. On a watts/cycle metric, does an Asus Eee
    offer a smaller footprint? Or, should we be looking for ARM-based
    laptops to keep the footprint still smaller?

    If we still had science departments in our Universities, this is the
    kind of thing I'd hope that they'd be looking at. Probably they're all
    too busy handing out degrees in hotel management to worry about real
    research now.

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Saves PCs from the Dumpster

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 31 December 2007 13:17 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> VectorLinux: Save A PC From The Dumpster
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Like Puppy Linux (my other current favorite "small is beautiful"
    >>| distribution), Vector is designed to be tiny, swift, and to get the job
    >>| done, and it seems to succeed nicely on all three counts. For an
    >>| interesting comparison of VectorLinux 5.9 (in beta) and another small
    >>| distro, Zenwalk, check out Paul Marwick's head-to-head review of the two.
    >> `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...linux_sav.html

    > It would be interesting to see an analysis of the carbon footprint of
    > eg., using a 10 year old laptop (I'm using a Tecra 8100 in Canada at the
    > moment which is running Debian and a 2.6 kernel), versus using something
    > like the Asus Eee instead. On a watts/cycle metric, does an Asus Eee
    > offer a smaller footprint? Or, should we be looking for ARM-based
    > laptops to keep the footprint still smaller?
    >
    > If we still had science departments in our Universities, this is the
    > kind of thing I'd hope that they'd be looking at. Probably they're all
    > too busy handing out degrees in hotel management to worry about real
    > research now.

    The bigger issue is companies that run Universities. This plague has apparently
    reached France. Academia becomes a factory (if workforce and 'studies') for
    wealthy corporations that sponsor these.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
    Cpu(s): 25.0%us, 4.1%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.9%id, 3.7%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st