[News] [Rival] Omnipotent Microsoft Makes Standards out of Binary Spew - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Omnipotent Microsoft Makes Standards out of Binary Spew - Linux ; Eleven Trends From 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | 7. Microsoft loses the first round in the Office Open XML standardization | efforts. Microsoft’s attempt to push through a super-complicated proprietary | standardization for an OSI rubber stamp failed. However, there ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Omnipotent Microsoft Makes Standards out of Binary Spew

    Eleven Trends From 2007

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 7. Microsoft loses the first round in the Office Open XML standardization
    | efforts. Microsoft’s attempt to push through a super-complicated proprietary
    | standardization for an OSI rubber stamp failed. However, there appears to be
    | little doubt that OOXML will be standardized at some point—whether it’s in
    | February 2008 or later. Microsoft will not back down, and eventually its
    | ruthless lobbying will succeed.
    ` ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://www.sdtimes.com/article/story-20071215-13.html

    Quote for the day:

    "Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any way
    he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract. There
    is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
    fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage."

    --Philippe Kahn

    Related:

    Microsoft moves the hot potatoes in a 'deprecated' basket

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Moving the hot potato in an 'optional' annex is not a solution. The solution
    | is to remove those horrors out of the standard, not to sideline with a
    | solution that please the vendor. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Where is Terminator to wipe out this deprecated stuff out of the ISO planet?
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-32339...recated-basket

    Bait and Switch

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Promises have been made. Assurances have been given. Commitments have been
    | proffered. But far less has been delivered.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | So what Ecma is offering SC34 is nothing close to what was promised. Ecma is
    | really seeking to transfer to SC34 the responsibility of spending the next 5
    | years fixing errors in OOXML 1.0, while future versions of OOXML ("technical
    | revisions") are controlled by Microsoft, in Ecma, in a process without
    | transparency, and as should now be obvious to all, without sufficient quality
    | controls.
    `----

    http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/12/...nd-switch.html

    Microsoft won't commit to the open document standard it's pushing so hard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now consider this from Brian Jones, a Microsoft manager who has worked on
    | OOXML for six years. In July, Jones was asked on his blog whether Microsoft
    | would actually commit to conform to an officially standardised OOXML. His
    | response:
    |
    | ?It?s hard for Microsoft to commit to what comes out of Ecma [the European
    | standards group that has already OK?d OOXML] in the coming years, because we
    | don?t know what direction they will take the formats. We?ll of course stay
    | active and propose changes based on where we want to go with Office 14. At
    | the end of the day, though, the other Ecma members could decide to take the
    | spec in a completely different direction. ... Since it?s not guaranteed, it
    | would be hard for us to make any sort of official statement.?
    |
    | Now that?s cynical. After all this work to make OOXML a formal, independent
    | standard ? a standard created and promoted by Microsoft, remember ? Microsoft
    | won?t agree to follow it.
    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/storage/fea...85&pagtype=all

    Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "This is how a standard is bought," Bosson wrote later. "I left the meeting
    | in protest - pissed off."
    `----

    http://www.betanews.com/article/Evid...tes/1188335569

    Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML - Updated

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He acknowledges that the rules might need to be changed.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Omnipotent Microsoft Makes Standards out of Binary Spew

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Eleven Trends From 2007
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | 7. Microsoft loses the first round in the Office Open XML
    > | standardization efforts. Microsoft?s attempt to push through a
    > | super-complicated proprietary standardization for an OSI rubber stamp
    > | failed. However, there appears to be little doubt that OOXML will be
    > | standardized at some point?whether it?s in February 2008 or later.
    > | Microsoft will not back down, and eventually its ruthless lobbying will
    > | succeed.

    So what we are saying is that standards have changed
    for standards bodies. Today's standards bodies
    can now be bought to pass on non-standards as standards if you pay the fee
    regardless of the fact that standards exist
    and these non-standards are being rubber stamped
    to compete with standards that have been
    establised through normal procedures.

    > http://www.sdtimes.com/article/story-20071215-13.html

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Omnipotent Microsoft Makes Standards out of Binary Spew

    ____/ 7 on Friday 28 December 2007 12:02 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Eleven Trends From 2007
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | 7. Microsoft loses the first round in the Office Open XML
    >> | standardization efforts. Microsoft?s attempt to push through a
    >> | super-complicated proprietary standardization for an OSI rubber stamp
    >> | failed. However, there appears to be little doubt that OOXML will be
    >> | standardized at some point?whether it?s in February 2008 or later.
    >> | Microsoft will not back down, and eventually its ruthless lobbying will
    >> | succeed.

    > So what we are saying is that standards have changed
    > for standards bodies. Today's standards bodies
    > can now be bought to pass on non-standards as standards if you pay the fee
    > regardless of the fact that standards exist
    > and these non-standards are being rubber stamped
    > to compete with standards that have been
    > establised through normal procedures.
    >

    >> http://www.sdtimes.com/article/story-20071215-13.html

    That's exactly what has happened. Some major people in the ISO have left in
    frustration and one even said that the worst dream has come
    true -- "standardis(z)ation by corporation"! ISO is being 'violated' by
    ECMAsoft; it's being raped, virtually.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
    18:00:01 up 18 days, 6:48, 4 users, load average: 2.01, 0.97, 0.96

  4. BILL GATES and the Race to Control Cyberspace ..

    "Gates looks at everything as something that should be his .. The only
    thing he understands is leverage", Philippe Kahn

    "I have grown up in this industry with Gates. He is divisive. He is
    manipulative. He is a user..", Gary Kildall

    "He's got a ****load of it. You sit down and you listen to this little
    prick going on about how he's going to put everybody out of
    business...", Philippe Kahn

    http://bil-gates.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread