OLPC: Bring on the How-Tos

,----[ Quote ]
| The OLPC is an interesting test case, because it is meant to be usable
| without being a computer expert, yet there needs to be computer expertise for
| advanced projects and for learning how to trouble-shoot and resolve
| difficulties that will come up. The operating system is exposed to the users
| and there are many tips that involve working with it. Navigation among the
| clashing abstractions is a great opportunity for some useful and powerful
| support for the learner.
`----

http://orcmid.com/blog/2007/12/olpc-...on-how-tos.asp

Watch the video at the bottom.

Quote for the day:

"I was a little surprised they [Microsoft] didn’t deal with the evidence
presented yesterday."

--David Boies, lead trial attorney DOJ

Related:

Seattle XO User Group Forming

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of us here in Seattle just couldn't wait for our OLPC laptops to arrive.
| Immediately after November 12th we decided to form an XO user group.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/use_cases/us...ser_group.html

Birmingham might buy thousands of XO Laptop computers for students in grades
one through eight

,----[ Quote ]
| The machines don't run Microsoft Office, Photoshop or any other standard Mac
| or Windows programs, instead using a free, open-source version of GNU/Linux,
| with a simplified graphical interface designed for children called Sugar. The
| laptop has a 500-megahertz processor and 256 megabytes of DRAM (dynamic
| random access memory) with 1 gigabyte of flash memory. The laptops have Web
| browsers and their own Wi-Fi system, the ability to connect to the Internet
| wirelessly. Each is on a "mesh network," meaning all the laptops can see each
| other, without any setup, even if there is no wireless connection nearby.
`----

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnew...l=2&thispage=1

A Groklaw Member Gets His OLPC Laptop - It's Not Too Late To Order Yours

,----[ Quote ]
| Looks great to me. One thing's for sure. I'll never be able to hide out at
| tech conferences any more, if I bring a green XO laptop. We'll all instantly
| find each other.
|
| Hey, nothing wrong with that. Just don't give any to Darl and his merry
| men, 'kay?
|
| Actually, not to worry. They'd probably never be able to figure out how to
| get them open. Joke. Joke.
`----

U.S. schools may join inexpensive laptop project

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...42385520070426