The Narrowing Of Patentable Subject Matter By The Federal Circuit: In re
Nuijten And In re Comiskey

,----[ Quote ]
| Until very recently, the scope of patentable subject matter under the Patent
| Act encompassed four categories – process, machine, manufacture, or
| composition of matter. These were broadly construed to encompass just about
| anything manmade. However, with the In re Nuijten and In re Comiskey
| opinions, explained and compared in this article, the Federal Circuit
| substantially narrowed what was previously thought to be within the purview
| of 35 U.S. C. § 101. The Federal Circuit held that a business method, if not
| combined with a machine, is not patentable, and that a signal, on its own, is
| similarly not patentable. These decisions create three new conditions for
| patentability not previously recognized by case law: a "technological arts"
| requirement, a "non-transience requirement, and a "tangibility" requirement.
`----

http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=55596

Other patent/IPR news:

Appeals court rules against Google in patent suit

,----[ Quote ]
| An appeals court has reinstated a patent lawsuit filed against Google over a
| toolbar feature called AutoLink that provides links to online maps or books
| on Amazon.com, according to a Bloomberg News report.
`----

Chinese court dismisses trademark suit against Google

,----[ Quote ]
| A court in China has dismissed a trademark lawsuit filed against Google,
| according to a report on ChinaCourt.org that was translated into English and
| posted on Pacific Epoch.
`----

RIM seeks patent for angled Blackberry keyboard

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when you've gotten to the point where you can type on your BlackBerry
| upside down in the dark, they're thinking about changing the keyboard.
`----

Don't many ergonomic keyboards already serve as prior art?

Quote for the day:

"trangely, after the court of appeals decision [denying public access to the
depositions], [Mr. Gates] suddenly became available for tomorrow morning."

--David Boies, Special trial counsel for the DOJ

Recent:

Grisoft subpoenas Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The website, alleges Grisoft, infringes its copyrights and trademarks.
|
| The lawyers said: "The website's proponent, with MSN's facilitation, is
| taking a 'free ride' on our clients rights" and the proponent of the website
| is distributing AVG software for a fee. *
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...enas-microsoft

School sues Microsoft over copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| But it's complicated because the wire reports Microsoft Philippines bought
| licences to print the manual back in 2004.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...soft-copyright

Microsoft to eBay name for $1m

,----[ Quote ]
| Portuguese outfit Microsoft Lda aims to cash in on its name by eBaying the
| brand and business for a starting price of $1m, Reuters reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12..._name_auction/

Portuguese firm Microsoft to auction name on eBay

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071217?rpc=44

Related:

Microsoft infringing on one of Apple Patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| Keep in mind I am not a patent researcher, and I am sure Apple is not
| going to sue Microsoft for abusing one of their patents, but it does
| at least look like Microsoft is abusing this patent.
`----

http://www.noheat.com/2007/06/22/mic...apple-patents/

Handling of Microsoft's copyleft violation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/arc...hotograph.html