[News] National 'Security' Agency Gets Cozy with Linux, Schneier Talks in Linux Conference - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] National 'Security' Agency Gets Cozy with Linux, Schneier Talks in Linux Conference - Linux ; NSA Released Guide to Secure Red Hat Linux ,----[ Quote ] | It’s kind of ironic for an agency whose sole purpose is to spy on others | would release a guide to secure one’s system. NSA last month released ...

  1. [News] National 'Security' Agency Gets Cozy with Linux, Schneier Talks in Linux Conference

    NSA Released Guide to Secure Red Hat Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It’s kind of ironic for an agency whose sole purpose is to spy on others
    | would release a guide to secure one’s system. NSA last month released a list
    | of guide to secure an operating system, but what we are interested most are
    | the guides to Secure RHEL 5.
    `----

    http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2007/12/26...red-hat-linux/

    Bruce Almighty: Schneier preaches security to Linux faithful

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Schneier is one of three keynote speakers at Linux.conf.au 2008 and speaks
    | with Dahna McConnachie about his presentation, books and thoughts.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1891124482

    Schneier and the NSA are no friends. He exposed their dirty little schemes.

    Watch this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sstDwKTCpM

    Recent:

    Dual_EC_DRBG Added to Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has added the random-number generator Dual_EC-DRBG to Windows
    | Vista, as part of SP1. Yes, this is the same RNG that could have an NSA
    | backdoor. *
    |
    | It's not enabled by default, and my advice is to never enable it. Ever.
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...c_drbg_ad.html

    Microsoft Sells Out to NSA... again!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So before you go to the store and get that shiny new laptop, consider asking
    | the retailer to not put Windows on there because not doing so could end up
    | being a serious mistake. *
    `----

    http://binaryfreedom.info/node/282

    Related:

    Did NSA Put a Secret Backdoor in New Encryption Standard?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...tymatters_1115

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Is this a good idea or not? For the first time, the giant software maker
    | is acknowledging the help of the secretive agency, better known for
    | eavesdropping on foreign officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as
    | part of the Bush..."
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...s_micro_1.html

    Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you remember, this was sold to the public as essential for fighting
    | terrorism. It's already being misused.
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive..._rights_a.html

    Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
    | encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ng-police-hack

    UK holds Microsoft security talks

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
    | Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."
    `----

    For Windows Vista Security, Microsoft Called in Pros

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The NSA also declined to be specific but said it used two groups — a “red
    | team” and a “blue team” — to test Vista’s security. The red team, for
    | instance, posed as “the determined, technically competent adversary” to
    | disrupt, corrupt or steal information. “They pretend to be bad guys,” Sager
    | said. The blue team helped Defense Department system administrators with
    | Vista’s configuration . * *
    |
    | Microsoft said this is not the first time it has sought help from the NSA.
    | For about four years, Microsoft has tapped the spy agency for security
    | expertise in reviewing its operating systems, including the Windows XP
    | consumer version and the Windows Server 2003 for corporate customers. *
    `----

    http://www.manpreet.co.in/tech-stuff...curity-agency/

    Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
    | sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
    | user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
    | messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
    | we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
    | messages? * *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...e-systems.html

    Spy Master Admits Error

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel czar Mike McConnell told Congress a new law helped bring down a terror
    | plot. The facts say otherwise.
    `----

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20749773/site/newsweek/

    FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we
    | reported earlier this week, can be delivered over the Internet and implanted *
    | in a suspect's computer remotely.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

    United States Government Online Watchdogs? Part of the war on terror?

    | Is there anyone in the abandonia community with a US based connection who is
    | experiencing this watchdog behavior? Are any foreign Vista users experiencing
    | similar attacks from their own countries ministries and governing agencies?" *
    `----

    http://www.whitedust.net/news/3984/U...on_terror?.../

    Encrypted E-Mail Company Hushmail Spills to Feds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hushmail, a longtime provider of encrypted web-based email, markets itself by
    | saying that "not even a Hushmail employee with access to our servers can read
    | your encrypted e-mail, since each message is uniquely encoded before it
    | leaves your computer." *
    |
    | But it turns out that statement seems not to apply to individuals targeted by
    | government agencies that are able to convince a Canadian court to serve a
    | court order on the company. *
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...ted-e-mai.html

    No email privacy rights under Constitution, US gov claims

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This appears to be more than a mere argument in support of the
    | constitutionality of a Congressional email privacy and access scheme. It
    | represents what may be the fundamental governmental position on
    | Constitutional email and electronic privacy - that there isn't any. What is
    | important in this case is not the ultimate resolution of that narrow issue,
    | but the position that the United States government is taking on the entire
    | issue of electronic privacy. That position, if accepted, may mean that the
    | government can read anybody's email at any time without a warrant. * * *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...email_privacy/

    Can FOSS save your privacy?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, the Bush regime has already claimed "we don't need no steenkin
    | warrant" to listen to your phone calls, see what websites you visit,
    | scan your emails, and now, with the revelation of a new
    | "signing statement", it?s even claiming the authority to read your
    | physical mail. When the government becomes the biggest threat to
    | your privacy, you better take advantage of the legion of privacy
    | advocates creating FOSS to help you retain what little bit of privacy
    | you can still have.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | However, just because your privacy is being threatened doesn't mean
    | you have to accept it. There is a growing array of FOSS being
    | developed to provide us with the ability to control our privacy.
    | It's about time we all start using it.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...e_your_privacy

    Duh! Windows Encryption Hacked Via Random Number Generator

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | GeneralMount Carmel, Haifa – A group of researchers headed by Dr. Benny
    | Pinkas from the Department of Computer Science at the University of Haifa
    | succeeded in finding a security vulnerability in Microsoft's "Windows 2000"
    | operating system. The significance of the loophole: emails, passwords, credit
    | card numbers, if they were typed into the computer, and actually all
    | correspondence that emanated from a computer using "Windows 2000" is
    | susceptible to tracking. "This is not a theoretical discovery. Anyone who
    | exploits this security loophole can definitely access this information on
    | other computers," remarked Dr. Pinkas. * * * *
    |
    | Editors Note: *I believe this "loophole" is part of the Patriot Act, it is
    | designed for foreign governments. *Seriously, if you care about security,
    | privacy, data, trojans, spyware, etc., one does not run Windows, you run
    | Linux. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...mber-generator

    How NSA access was built into Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that
    | special access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency
    | have been secretly built into Windows.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The first discovery of the new NSA access system was made two years
    | ago by British researcher Dr Nicko van Someren. But it was only a
    | few weeks ago when a second researcher rediscovered the access
    | system. With it, he found the evidence linking it to NSA.
    `----

    http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/5/5263/1.html

    NSA Builds Security Access Into Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has shown that special access
    | codes for use by the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) have been secretly
    | built into all versions of the Windows operating system.
    `----

    http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990903S0014

  2. Re: [News] National 'Security' Agency Gets Cozy with Linux, Schneier Talks in Linux Conference

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Bruce Almighty: Schneier preaches security to Linux faithful
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Schneier is one of three keynote speakers at Linux.conf.au 2008 and
    > speaks
    > | with Dahna McConnachie about his presentation, books and thoughts.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1891124482
    >
    > Schneier and the NSA are no friends. He exposed their dirty little
    > schemes.

    And Bruce Schneier is the same person who has thorougly debunked the BS myth
    that Microsoft has embedded a secret NSA backdoor into Windows. Yet scumbags
    like Roy "the liar" Schestowitz continues to post articles claiming that
    such a backdoor does exist.

  3. Re: [News] National 'Security' Agency Gets Cozy with Linux, Schneier Talks in Linux Conference

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer PEDRO LITTLE flatly wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Bruce Almighty: Schneier preaches security to Linux faithful
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Schneier is one of three keynote speakers at Linux.conf.au 2008 and
    >> speaks
    >> | with Dahna McConnachie about his presentation, books and thoughts.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1891124482
    >>
    >> Schneier and the NSA are no friends. He exposed their dirty little
    >> schemes.
    >>

    > And Bruce Schneier is the same person who has thorougly debunked the BS
    > myth that Microsoft has embedded a secret NSA backdoor into Windows. Yet
    > scumbags like Roy "the liar" Schestowitz continues to post articles
    > claiming that such a backdoor does exist.

    Your obsessions with Roy's posts are legendary.

    You should focus all that energy on Balding Blammer at Micoshaft
    Corporation. I seem to remember you wanting a blow up
    doll - a she male version of blammer - to keep you fixated
    and obsessed on the rights things.

  4. Re: [News] National 'Security' Agency Gets Cozy with Linux, Schneier Talks in Linux Conference

    In article <4773ad24$0$26040$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "PEDRO LITTLE" wrote:
    > > Schneier and the NSA are no friends. He exposed their dirty little
    > > schemes.
    > >

    > And Bruce Schneier is the same person who has thorougly debunked the BS myth
    > that Microsoft has embedded a secret NSA backdoor into Windows. Yet scumbags
    > like Roy "the liar" Schestowitz continues to post articles claiming that
    > such a backdoor does exist.

    Schestowitz also claims the NSA hid code in Linux, via SELinux.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread