[News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform - Linux ; The GigaOM Interview: Dr. Mendel Roseblum, Chief Scientist, VMWare ,----[ Quote ] | It took a lot longer than I thought it would take. We released it first on | the Linux platform, because we felt the Linux community would ...

  1. [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    The GigaOM Interview: Dr. Mendel Roseblum, Chief Scientist, VMWare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It took a lot longer than I thought it would take. We released it first on
    | the Linux platform, because we felt the Linux community would adopt it much
    | faster. That proved to be a good move.
    `----

    http://gigaom.com/2007/12/26/vmware-...lum-interview/

    More examples of Linux as a primary platform are appended below.

    SWsoft Reborn 'Parallels,' Seeks Broader Virtualization Future

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "This means enhancing Windows, Linux, Mac, x86, and ia64-based bare metal
    | systems with innovative hypervisor-based virtualization, container-based
    | virtualization, and a suite of complementary automation solutions," Beloussov
    | said in the announcement.
    `----

    Related:

    Oracle 11g ships first on Linux, not Microsoft Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to Forrester, Oracle's share of the DBMS market has declined to the
    | point where the platform has become less strategic to Oracle, Yuhanna said.
    |
    | "Oracle is already betting on Linux to succeed by putting strong R&D and
    | marketing efforts around it," Yuhanna said. "Simply put, if Linux grows,
    | Oracle grows." *
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...268047,00.html
    http://tinyurl.com/3ypqxv

    Oracle 11g: First on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The newest database will ship in August, but Oracle offers no details on
    | Windows or other versions.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

    Fastscale puts VMware on a diet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Fastscale remains a Linux-only thang but has Windows support scheduled to
    | arrive in the fourth quarter. It also plans to support the Xen hypervisor in
    | the fourth quarter in conjunction with its support for Red Hat Enterprise
    | Linux 5. "We have pushed out our Solaris plans solely because we have not had
    | customer demand," LeBlanc said. * *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...rtual_manager/

    Oracle flexes muscle for Xen, open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We're big proponents of Linux and standard technologies, so we're going to
    | put the time toward Xen," Phillips said. "Our strategy will be around Xen."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | As a result, Xen only works on the Linux kernel, not on Microsoft Windows,
    | the source code of which is not open to outside developers. *
    `----

    http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/45289-1.html

    Seanodes Targets Wasted Space With New Virtualized Storage Tool

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The application runs on Linux, and a version for Windows Server is in
    | development, said spokesperson Dan Miller.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:20:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > The GigaOM Interview: Dr. Mendel Roseblum, Chief Scientist, VMWare
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| It took a lot longer than I thought it would take. We released it first on
    >| the Linux platform, because we felt the Linux community would adopt it much
    >| faster. That proved to be a good move.
    > `----
    >
    > http://gigaom.com/2007/12/26/vmware-...lum-interview/

    One would think he'd know more about his competition.

    Microsoft is not focusing only on single machines, the beta release a few
    weeks ago of the Windows Hypervizor includes multi-server consolidation and
    management technologies similar to VMWare's VMotion, for instance. This
    isn't the first time i've seen VMWare employees saying this, yet seemingly
    oblivious to their competition.

    What's more, his company treats Linux like a third rate citizen as far as
    management goes. They don't offer a Linux management client for ESX
    server, or a Linux Virtual Center client. They require MS SQL Server, and
    won't run on MySQL or Postgre.

    Oh, then I love this comment:

    "idle machines use as much energy as fully utilized machines"

    Lol. This guy's a "scientist"? He thinks an idle CPU uses the same power
    as a fully loaded one?

    > More examples of Linux as a primary platform are appended below.
    >
    > SWsoft Reborn 'Parallels,' Seeks Broader Virtualization Future
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "This means enhancing Windows, Linux, Mac, x86, and ia64-based bare metal
    >| systems with innovative hypervisor-based virtualization, container-based
    >| virtualization, and a suite of complementary automation solutions," Beloussov
    >| said in the announcement.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205203258

    How the hell is this an example of Linux as the primary platform? It says
    nothing like that, in fact, they're naming the entire company after their
    primary platform, Parallels, for the Macintosh.

    More Roy Lies.

  3. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > The GigaOM Interview: Dr. Mendel Roseblum, Chief Scientist, VMWare
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| It took a lot longer than I thought it would take. We released it first on
    >| the Linux platform, because we felt the Linux community would adopt it much
    >| faster. That proved to be a good move.
    > `----
    >
    > http://gigaom.com/2007/12/26/vmware-...lum-interview/

    "I was a professor at Stanford University and we were building a
    supercomputer ... My grad students who worked with me on the project
    thought we could commercialize the technology, and in 1998 we
    launched VMWare."

    Sounds to me like an de facto government subsidy for a new business.
    What is Stanford U's stake in this? Or is this like "open-source"?

    --
    Tux rox!

  4. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    * Erik Funkenbusch fired off this tart reply:

    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:20:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> The GigaOM Interview: Dr. Mendel Roseblum, Chief Scientist, VMWare
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| It took a lot longer than I thought it would take. We released it first on
    >>| the Linux platform, because we felt the Linux community would adopt it much
    >>| faster. That proved to be a good move.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://gigaom.com/2007/12/26/vmware-...lum-interview/

    > What's more, his company treats Linux like a third rate citizen as far as
    > management goes. They don't offer a Linux management client for ESX
    > server, or a Linux Virtual Center client. They require MS SQL Server, and
    > won't run on MySQL or Postgre.

    You sure about that?

    http://www.petri.co.il/5_ways_to_adm...esx_server.htm

    Besides, it looks to me like VMWare provides an ESX API, and it is third
    parties doing the client.

    http://www.petri.co.il/3rd-party-too...esx-server.htm

    And so what if they're concentrating on Windows for the client, if
    they're using Linux to do the heavy lifting?

    > Oh, then I love this comment:
    >
    > "idle machines use as much energy as fully utilized machines"
    >
    > Lol. This guy's a "scientist"? He thinks an idle CPU uses the same power
    > as a fully loaded one?

    I don't see anything there about idle CPUs.

    I bow to you, Erik. You're the only guy I know who can quote out of
    context even with the context present!

    > More Roy Lies.

    More Erik stammering and nitpicking to try to minimize a pro-Linux post
    and spin it back to benefit Microsoft.

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    ____/ Linonut on Thursday 27 December 2007 12:55 : \____

    > * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> The GigaOM Interview: Dr. Mendel Roseblum, Chief Scientist, VMWare
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| It took a lot longer than I thought it would take. We released it first on
    >>| the Linux platform, because we felt the Linux community would adopt it much
    >>| faster. That proved to be a good move.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://gigaom.com/2007/12/26/vmware-...lum-interview/
    >>

    > "I was a professor at Stanford University and we were building a
    > supercomputer ... My grad students who worked with me on the project
    > thought we could commercialize the technology, and in 1998 we
    > launched VMWare."
    >
    > Sounds to me like an de facto government subsidy for a new business.
    > What is Stanford U's stake in this? Or is this like "open-source"?

    Good questions. Standford also have rights associated with PageRank (Google),
    but it's unlikely to assert anything. VMWare actually has strong roots in
    Linux, with GPL violations too, apparently. But... consider this another
    company that rose thanks to Free software. Google is another.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;

  6. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:07:29 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * Erik Funkenbusch fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:20:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> The GigaOM Interview: Dr. Mendel Roseblum, Chief Scientist, VMWare
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://gigaom.com/2007/12/26/vmware-...lum-interview/

    >> What's more, his company treats Linux like a third rate citizen as far as
    >> management goes. They don't offer a Linux management client for ESX
    >> server, or a Linux Virtual Center client. They require MS SQL Server, and
    >> won't run on MySQL or Postgre.

    > You sure about that?
    >
    > http://www.petri.co.il/5_ways_to_adm...esx_server.htm

    Well, certainly, you can get into the console and command line it, and most
    things are available that way, but it's pretty cryptic... even for Linux
    users.

    > Besides, it looks to me like VMWare provides an ESX API, and it is third
    > parties doing the client.
    >
    > http://www.petri.co.il/3rd-party-too...esx-server.htm

    That's interesting. Still, the point was talking about support by the
    company itself.

    > And so what if they're concentrating on Windows for the client, if
    > they're using Linux to do the heavy lifting?

    Not exactly. VMWare claims that they use linux on ESX server only as a
    boot loader, and console interface. They claim they take over the machine
    and do all the "heavy lifting" themselves.

    >> Oh, then I love this comment:
    >>
    >> "idle machines use as much energy as fully utilized machines"
    >>
    >> Lol. This guy's a "scientist"? He thinks an idle CPU uses the same power
    >> as a fully loaded one?

    > I don't see anything there about idle CPUs.

    How, precisely is a machine "idle" if it's CPU isn't?

    > I bow to you, Erik. You're the only guy I know who can quote out of
    > context even with the context present!

    Obviously an idle machine has an idle CPU, does it not? That's like trying
    to say "The car is idling doesn't mean the engine is idling".

    >> More Roy Lies.

    > More Erik stammering and nitpicking to try to minimize a pro-Linux post
    > and spin it back to benefit Microsoft.

    How is it nitpicking to point out that Roy's article doesn't say anything
    like what he claimed it did?

  7. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    In article <1593333.b82nrQ3HsV@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > but it's unlikely to assert anything. VMWare actually has strong roots in
    > Linux, with GPL violations too, apparently. But... consider this another

    Wrong (as usual). Why are you FUDing VMWare?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    * Erik Funkenbusch fired off this tart reply:

    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:07:29 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> You sure about that?
    >>
    >> http://www.petri.co.il/5_ways_to_adm...esx_server.htm

    > Well, certainly, you can get into the console and command line it, and most
    > things are available that way, but it's pretty cryptic... even for Linux
    > users.

    I thought that page also mentioned a Web interface.

    > Not exactly. VMWare claims that they use linux on ESX server only as a
    > boot loader, and console interface. They claim they take over the machine
    > and do all the "heavy lifting" themselves.

    I know, was just jabbing.

    >> I don't see anything there about idle CPUs.

    > How, precisely is a machine "idle" if it's CPU isn't?
    >
    >> I bow to you, Erik. You're the only guy I know who can quote out of
    >> context even with the context present!

    > Obviously an idle machine has an idle CPU, does it not? That's like trying
    > to say "The car is idling doesn't mean the engine is idling".

    A computer can be sitting here apparently idle, yet still doing a lot of
    things.

    So one of you has a different idea of "idle" than the other.

    That would be a bit more logicial than thinking one of you was stupid,
    right?

    >> More Erik stammering and nitpicking to try to minimize a pro-Linux post
    >> and spin it back to benefit Microsoft.

    > How is it nitpicking to point out that Roy's article doesn't say anything
    > like what he claimed it did?

    Because you haven't really done that?

    --
    Tux rox!

  9. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:13:56 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * Erik Funkenbusch fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:07:29 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> You sure about that?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.petri.co.il/5_ways_to_adm...esx_server.htm

    >> Well, certainly, you can get into the console and command line it, and most
    >> things are available that way, but it's pretty cryptic... even for Linux
    >> users.

    > I thought that page also mentioned a Web interface.

    The Web interface only allows you to start and stop VM's, it doesn't allow
    you to configure the server or the VM's. It's very simplistic.

    >>> I bow to you, Erik. You're the only guy I know who can quote out of
    >>> context even with the context present!

    >> Obviously an idle machine has an idle CPU, does it not? That's like trying
    >> to say "The car is idling doesn't mean the engine is idling".

    > A computer can be sitting here apparently idle, yet still doing a lot of
    > things.

    He didn't say "apparently" Idle, he said Idle. As in, Not doing anything.
    His point was in the context that single-purpose servers are under-utilized
    and are left idle, thus any argument about "apparently" idle defeats the
    point.

  10. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    * Erik Funkenbusch fired off this tart reply:

    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:13:56 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> A computer can be sitting here apparently idle, yet still doing a lot of
    >> things.

    > He didn't say "apparently" Idle, he said Idle. As in, Not doing anything.
    > His point was in the context that single-purpose servers are under-utilized
    > and are left idle, thus any argument about "apparently" idle defeats the
    > point.

    I think, then, by "idle" he meant "with no virtual machines running on
    it" .

    C'mon, rather than nitpick or assume this scientist at VMware is a
    moron, why not try to figure out what he meant?

    --
    Tux rox!

  11. Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:06:02 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * Erik Funkenbusch fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:13:56 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> A computer can be sitting here apparently idle, yet still doing a lot of
    >>> things.

    >> He didn't say "apparently" Idle, he said Idle. As in, Not doing anything.
    >> His point was in the context that single-purpose servers are under-utilized
    >> and are left idle, thus any argument about "apparently" idle defeats the
    >> point.

    > I think, then, by "idle" he meant "with no virtual machines running on
    > it" .
    >
    > C'mon, rather than nitpick or assume this scientist at VMware is a
    > moron, why not try to figure out what he meant?

    I didn't say he was a moron. I'm just astounded that:

    1) He doesn't seem to know anything about his competition
    2) He doesn't seem to understand the power consumption of servers.

    I'm sure he's very smart, but just not in touch with the market.

+ Reply to Thread