[News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis? - Linux ; The Volunteer Supercomputing Revolution in Scientific Research ,----[ Quote ] | One initiative has wooed gamers who use the Sony PlayStation 3 console, which | contains a speedy graphics processor. A Stanford University protein study | called "Folding@home" now gets ...

  1. [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    The Volunteer Supercomputing Revolution in Scientific Research

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One initiative has wooed gamers who use the Sony PlayStation 3 console, which
    | contains a speedy graphics processor. A Stanford University protein study
    | called "Folding@home" now gets the majority of its processing work from the
    | consoles.
    `----

    Recent:

    Sony says global sales of PS3 to top 11 million

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The PlayStation3 "is starting afresh as a console to play games with.
    | Although pricing strategy is important, now we would like to put our strength
    | in the number of software games," he said. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071215...amecompanysony

    *
    Related:

    Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains Khanna, an
    | assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth who
    | specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those is that Sony did
    | this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open platform, so you can in fact
    | run Linux on it and it doesn't control what you do."
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news..._supercomputer

    Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
    | (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
    | systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...upercomputers/
    http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

    PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
    | next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
    | videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
    | Web-based "Office 2.0" applications. *
    |
    | IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
    | off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
    | show organizer. *
    `----

    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

    PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
    | time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
    | priced at $650.
    `----

    Old:

    Best New Console - Sony PlayStation 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony's embrace of the PS3 as a computer rather than just a console
    | and the availability of supported Linux distributions for the
    | console will also develop and will likely bear entirely unexpected
    | fruit in future.
    |
    | Runner-Up:
    | Nintendo Wii
    `----

    http://bestof.ign.com/2006/gear/1.html

  2. Re: [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains
    > | Khanna, an assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts,
    > | Dartmouth who specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those
    > | is that Sony did this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open
    > | platform, so you can in fact run Linux on it and it doesn't control what
    > | you do."
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news..._supercomputer

    In the report, he replaced a 500 processor cluster with an 8 node PS3
    cluster and is seeing EQUAL performance! Running Linux ofcourse. That, my
    friend, is AWESOME!

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    * Jerry McBride fired off this tart reply:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains
    >> | Khanna, an assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts,
    >> | Dartmouth who specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those
    >> | is that Sony did this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open
    >> | platform, so you can in fact run Linux on it and it doesn't control what
    >> | you do."
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news..._supercomputer

    > In the report, he replaced a 500 processor cluster with an 8 node PS3
    > cluster and is seeing EQUAL performance! Running Linux ofcourse. That, my
    > friend, is AWESOME!

    Now that's a coder!

    No whining about how "you can't access the SPE's to do any meaningful
    work". He just does it.

    Here's another PS3 tale:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_mi...k_world_record

    PS3 helps break world record

    With the help of the computing power of over half a million
    PlayStation 3 consoles, the distributed computing project,
    Folding@Home, has now been recognized by the Guinness World Records
    as the most powerful distributed network in the world. The first
    record was achieved on September 16, 2007, as the project surpassed
    one petaflops, which had never been reached before by a distributed
    computing network. Additionally, the collective efforts enabled PS3
    alone to reach the petaflop mark on September 23, 2007. In
    comparison, the world's most powerful supercomputer IBM's BlueGene/L
    performs around 280.6 teraflops which means Folding@Home's computing
    power is approximately four times BlueGene/L's (although the CPU
    interconnect in BlueGene/L is more than one million times
    faster than the mean network speed in Folding@Home.)

    --
    Tux rox!

  4. Re: [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Thursday 27 December 2007 20:04 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains
    >> | Khanna, an assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts,
    >> | Dartmouth who specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those
    >> | is that Sony did this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open
    >> | platform, so you can in fact run Linux on it and it doesn't control what
    >> | you do."
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news..._supercomputer
    >>

    > In the report, he replaced a 500 processor cluster with an 8 node PS3
    > cluster and is seeing EQUAL performance! Running Linux ofcourse. That, my
    > friend, is AWESOME!

    Watch this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxPf...eature=related

    (one of the few Linux commercials from them)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | /earth: file system full
    Tasks: 118 total, 1 running, 116 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  5. Re: [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    In article <35261875.QcvBH8Gd6K@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >> Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s
    > >>
    > >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >> `----
    > >>
    > >> http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news..._supercomputer
    > >>

    > > In the report, he replaced a 500 processor cluster with an 8 node PS3
    > > cluster and is seeing EQUAL performance! Running Linux ofcourse. That, my
    > > friend, is AWESOME!

    > Watch this:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxPf...eature=related
    >
    > (one of the few Linux commercials from them)

    That commercial is from IBM.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > Watch this:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxPf...eature=related
    >
    > (one of the few Linux commercials from them)

    I like the cop's comment: "What's a server?"

    I think a large part of what Microsoft (and other companies) get away
    with is due to simple ignorance on the part of the public, and even
    their elected "public servants".

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > In article <35261875.QcvBH8Gd6K@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Watch this:
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxPf...eature=related
    >>
    >> (one of the few Linux commercials from them)

    > That commercial is from IBM.

    Tim, that is the most gratuitous reply you have ever made.

    --
    Tux rox!

  8. Re: [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 28 December 2007 15:11 : \____

    > * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Watch this:
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxPf...eature=related
    >>
    >> (one of the few Linux commercials from them)

    > I like the cop's comment: "What's a server?"
    >
    > I think a large part of what Microsoft (and other companies) get away
    > with is due to simple ignorance on the part of the public, and even
    > their elected "public servants".

    Hey, remember that "spidermonkey" response. Priceless. A case of reflection.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
    run-level 2 2007-12-10 11:12 last=

  9. Re: [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 28 December 2007 15:11 : \____

    > * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> In article <35261875.QcvBH8Gd6K@schestowitz.com>,
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Watch this:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxPf...eature=related
    >>>
    >>> (one of the few Linux commercials from them)

    >> That commercial is from IBM.

    > Tim, that is the most gratuitous reply you have ever made.

    Yes, explaining what I meant by "them" (rhetorical in this context).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
    run-level 2 2007-12-10 11:12 last=

  10. Re: [News] Supercomputing, Linux and the PS3 = Symbiosis?

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:
    >
    > > In article <35261875.QcvBH8Gd6K@schestowitz.com>,
    > > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Watch this:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxPf...eature=related
    > >>
    > >> (one of the few Linux commercials from them)

    > > That commercial is from IBM.

    > Tim, that is the most gratuitous reply you have ever made.

    How so? None of the ancestors of Roy's post have anything in them about
    IBM or any mention of IBM (unless I missed it somewhere in the volume).
    So, it sounded like he might be attributing that commercial to Sony.
    Hence, I pointed out that it is from IBM.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread