Google-powered mobile phones to make a February debut?

,----[ Quote ]
| First came the fervent and persistent rumours of a Google mobile phone.
|
| Then, just six short weeks ago, the search supremo (and
| just-about-everything-else-online supremo) announced there would not be
| a ‘Google phone' per se, but rather dozens of them from a raft of mobile
| manufacturers, and all built on an open Linux-based mobile phone platform
| named Android.
`----

http://apcmag.com/7726/google_powere...february_debut

Related:

HTC to make first Android handset

,----[ Quote ]
| Taiwanese mobile-handset manufacturer HTC announced Tuesday that it will
| release its first Android-powered device into the European market in the
| second half of 2008.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/commun...2034201,00.htm

Google's Secret Weapon

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Google is] an example of a company that literally couldn't have existed in
| the same form pre-Linux or pre-open source," says Jim Zemlin, executive
| director of The Linux Foundation -- the organization that pays Linus Torvalds
| to work on the Linux kernel. "If they had to rely on Microsoft or Sun, not
| only would it have been too expensive, they could not have done the
| modifications necessary to create their services." * *
|
| The last point is confirmed by Google's Open Source Programs Manager Chris
| DiBona, who joined the company in August 2004 to oversee and coordinate its
| open source activities: "The thing about open source [is], it's kind of like
| it's yours. Considering that Google does an insane amount of software
| development, if we had to have some of the restrictions that heavily
| proprietary would present us, we couldn't develop at the speed that we do." * * *
`----

http://redmondmag.com/features/artic...torialsID=2395

Google releases Android SDK

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has released an SDK (software development kit) that programmers can
| use to create cell-phone applications for the company’s Android mobile
| platform. *
`----

http://www.macworld.com/article/6100...ndroidsdk.html

Why Google sponsored Android is set to be a market force

,----[ Quote ]
| Conversely, the report notes that Android will be less attractive to those
| that want Linux as a kernel with their own differentiated
| applications. “Android may induce handset manufacturers to differentiate more
| on hardware-specific features, such as usability, enhancing the Web
| experience,” the analysts said. * *
`----

http://www.cpilive.net/v3/inside.asp...AST&k=mobility
%20google
http://tinyurl.com/2qb4dt

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards. *
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum. *
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption." *
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257394007BE16D

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *
`----

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html