11 Predictions for Free Software in 2008

,----[ Headings ]
| KDE 4 launches
|
| The OOXML controversy continues
|
| DRM flares up again
|
| The first complete free video drivers appear
|
| 3-D desktop distros become the default in some distributions
|
| [...]
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3718296

Quite a few mistakes in the text, but interesting nonetheless.

Related:

Businesses will dodge Vista in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista uptake is unlikely to increase dramatically during 2008, according to
| security vendor McAfee, who said that businesses are "leery" of upgrading
| from current Microsoft operating systems.
`----

Skills shortage: it's mind over matter

,----[ Quote ]
| The demand for SAP skills, for example, is expected to be high in 2008.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Demand for skills in new areas such as open source, Linux, Web 2.0 and AJAX
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| are almost certainly bound to be high next year too. And surprisingly, there
| is a growing demand for good, old-fashioned mainframe skills as the Baby
| Boomer generation retires and leaves a gap in supporting legacy systems. * *
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/1...tage_learning/

Everex to launch Linux notebooks under US$300 next year

,----[ Quote ]
| After introducing a US$198 Linux desktop this week, PC vendor Everex said it
| will bring Linux laptops under US$300 to users next year.
`----

Open source claims seat at the corporate table in ‘08

,----[ Quote ]
| Developments around power management, virtualization, mobile devices and data
| centers will drive open source, Linux in 2008
|
| After years spent on the corporate proving ground, open source and Linux are
| looking at a 2008 that could likely show how hard labor pays off.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...en-source.html

Have a happy GNU Linux year!

,----[ Quote ]
| Make 2008 the year you switch. Liberate your computer and join the Linux
| revolution. I want to make an impassioned plea to you, but not only that, I’m
| going to tell you how to go about it with confidence, stability and all the
| while being able to still do all the things you use your computer for. *
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15767/1141/

Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux use in "next" embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278
| percent over that in "previous" projects, suggests a recent survey by Venture
| Development Corp. (VDC). *
`----

Mozilla Landscape 2008

,----[ Quote ]