Microsoft Anti-piracy Raids in Trivandrum, Kerala - Time to Switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the second of such series of raids that Microsoft has done in Kerala.
| Sooner or later they are going to target the home user also. So if you are
| using pirated Microsoft software then beware. You only options are
| a) To shell out at least Rs. 15,000 for your original Microsoft Windows and
| Microsoft Office licenses or
| b) To switch to the free (as in free = zero) and fully licensed world of GNU
| Linux
`----

http://www.zyxware.com/articles/2007...witch-to-linux

Related:

Migrating to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Tamil Nadu’s schools were running Microsoft Windows on a horde of aging
| machines—1,880 servers and around 30,000 desktops. The OS was in need for a
| refresh; however, moving to Windows Vista looked like an expensive option
| largely on account of the increased hardware requirement. ELCOT decided to
| move its own systems from Windows to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and SUSE
| Linux Enterprise Desktop. * *
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...pecial11.shtml

Is Microsoft really scared of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now having seen this, I was left with a smile on my face because obviously
| the top Microsoft Execs are spending sleepless nights thinking about the
| inroads that Linux has made especially in the server arena. *
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/1...-of-linux.html

ELCOT's success story of Suse linux migration

,----[ Quote ]
| Electronic Corporation of TamilNadu, India is the Information Technology
| arm of Government of TamilNadu, India. ELCOT is a fully owned Government
| Company. ELCOT migrated all its operations to suse linux OS within a
| period of 12 months. This video shares the success story of ELCOT in
| the suse linux migration (June 2007)
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_g72GcaIdc

Red Hat in talks with states for open source solution

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software business is gaining momentum in the country with
| governments keen on adopting this technology.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2283777.cms

Time for a switch?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is powerful, easy to use and free. Naturally, it’s becoming the
| Operating System of choice for many internet aficionados. *
`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/P...ow/2257068.cms

Linux becoming visible on desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| The Penguin (named Tux) is finally making inroads as an operating system (OS)
| on desktops too. While it has an over 20 per cent market share when we speak
| of servers in India, the free OS called Linux has just around 5 per cent
| market share in the country when it comes to desktops – the lion’s share
| going to Microsoft Windows. * *
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/com...Left=0&chkFlg=

Open Source - An Unstoppable Giant *

,----[ Quote ]
| Presently, surfing the internet portal, checking bank balance online, booking
| railway tickets, searching jobs, logging in to a matrimonial site, or paying
| insurance premiums is often done by the application of open source Linux
| operating system. *
`----

http://www.cxotoday.com/India/News/O...82455-911.html

Open Source and the SMB

,----[ Quote ]
| SMBs are getting attracted towards Linux-based servers. Menon says that over
| 70 percent of customers plan to implement Linux-based solutions in some
| manner in the next two years, and the awareness of Linux and its benefits are
| high in the SMB segment. He says, “Less restrictive licensing policies and
| the ability to bundle all the bits and pieces into one comprehensive package,
| instead of first selling the OS, and then charging for access licences and
| every small tool and add on facility is something that SMBs appreciate.” * * *
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...source01.shtml

PC resellers strike against Microsoft in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Stop harassment over piracy or we move to Linux...
|
| [...]
|
| "We have been approached by dealers in other states who are also
| being harassed by Microsoft," Randeri said. "If Microsoft does
| not cooperate, we will tell our dealers to migrate to Linux."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=3114

Laptop training for T. Nadu IAS officers

,----[ Quote ]
| They were given orientation in Suse Linux and Windows XP operating
| systems, since the laptop computers were loaded with them and Suse
| Linum operating system was a new technology, an official press
| release here said.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus...0707052027.htm

Indian dealers are squealers over Microsoft piracy raids

,----[ Quote ]
| The resellers have also planned boycotts against Microsoft.
| Those participating in the strike agreed to stop all purchases
| of Microsoft products for this quarter.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...est_microsoft/

Intensified Battle Lines