Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP? - Linux

This is a discussion on Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP? - Linux ; Do you know of any freeware windows DAA converters for large torrent downloaded files? I think I've run into a tough freeware question for freeware compression-format experts. At least it's a tough one for me. LOL After googling, I still ...

  1. Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    Do you know of any freeware windows DAA converters for large torrent
    downloaded files?

    I think I've run into a tough freeware question for freeware
    compression-format experts. At least it's a tough one for me. LOL

    After googling, I still can't find a single freeware windows DAA converter
    for two recently downloaded *large* DVD .DAA files (1 GB each). Drat.

    The most-common daa decompression solution I found googling was "PowerISO"
    which isn't freeware and whose trialware is file-size limited so PowerISO
    wouldn't decompress my two 1GB daa files on Windows XP when I tried.

    If I had Linux, I could use Acetone freeware, which isn't file-size
    limited, but I'm not on Linux so Acetone won't work. At least not directly.

    Maybe there is a Knoppix freeware trick? Can you suggest how I could run
    Knoppix, then run Acetone off of the Windows disk, then uncompress the 2
    large DAA files on the Windows disk? Would that work?

    I realize this is a tough question only suitable for compression freeware
    experts. That's why I ask.

    Which freeware compression/decompression utility unpacks large (> 1Gb)
    *.daa files on Windows XP?

  2. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    Suzanne DeAngelillis wrote:

    > Do you know of any freeware windows DAA converters for large torrent
    > downloaded files?
    >
    > I think I've run into a tough freeware question for freeware
    > compression-format experts. At least it's a tough one for me. LOL
    >
    > After googling, I still can't find a single freeware windows DAA converter
    > for two recently downloaded *large* DVD .DAA files (1 GB each). Drat.
    >
    > The most-common daa decompression solution I found googling was "PowerISO"
    > which isn't freeware and whose trialware is file-size limited so PowerISO
    > wouldn't decompress my two 1GB daa files on Windows XP when I tried.
    >
    > If I had Linux, I could use Acetone freeware, which isn't file-size
    > limited, but I'm not on Linux so Acetone won't work. At least not
    > directly.
    >
    > Maybe there is a Knoppix freeware trick? Can you suggest how I could run
    > Knoppix, then run Acetone off of the Windows disk, then uncompress the 2
    > large DAA files on the Windows disk? Would that work?
    >
    > I realize this is a tough question only suitable for compression freeware
    > experts. That's why I ask.
    >
    > Which freeware compression/decompression utility unpacks large (> 1Gb)
    > *.daa files on Windows XP?

    You can find your answers at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Access_Archive

    GOOGLE is your friend... use it next time.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    Suzanne DeAngelillis :

    WTF is this post doing here?

    --
    dicker, v:
    What you do to your wife if arguing doesn't work.

    www.websterscafe.com

  4. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 09:54:26 -0800, Suzanne DeAngelillis wrote:
    > Which freeware compression/decompression utility unpacks
    > large (> 1Gb) *.daa files on Windows XP?

    In an attempt at moving us forward in the freeware world, does this method
    below, which uses 100% freeware, look like it will convert (large) DAA
    files to DVD on WinXP?

    On WinXP:
    1] Obtain bootable Knoppix (linux) freeware disk
    2] Obtain PowerISO Linux freeware DAA2ISO converter & put on a FAT32 disk
    http://www.poweriso.com/poweriso-1.1.tar.gz
    3] Put the two large DAA files on a FAT32 disk
    file1.daa & file2.daa
    -----
    On Knoppix:
    a] Boot to Knoppix
    b] Extract the tar.gz PowerISO freeware DAA to ISO utility
    c] Run :inux PowerISO freeware on the 2 DAA files to create an ISO image
    -----
    On WinXP:
    A] Boot to Windows XP
    B] Use IZArc freeware to convert the ISO image to DVD data
    C] Use ImgBurn freeware to burn the DVD data to DVD disc

    Does this freeware approach look like it will work?
    Are there any simpler methods (I don't have Knoppix yet)?

    If you're a freeware compression expert, please reply with advice,
    Thank you,
    Suzanne

  5. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    Suzanne DeAngelillis wrote in
    :

    >On Knoppix:
    >a] Boot to Knoppix
    >b] Extract the tar.gz PowerISO freeware DAA to ISO utility
    >c] Run :inux PowerISO freeware on the 2 DAA files to create an ISO image

    Example her:
    http://www.articlealley.com/article_170967_11.html

    I observe that the *.daa format is a proprietary format by Power-iso,
    and for windows their try-before-you-buy download only works with
    files less than 300mb (same for Ultra ISO). As I don't know of any
    ofreeware iso-handling program for Windows that can read the *.daa
    format, I guess your Linux approach, is the way to go if you want this
    conversion done with free software. Not much help in this, only to say
    that as far as I know you are at least on the right track with your
    approach. As you have said there is a free linux version of Power-iso.
    Anoher Linux app that claims it can handle the format is AcetoneISO
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...SO-16724.shtml

    --
    All the best,
    Bjorn S.

  6. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    Suzanne DeAngelillis wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 09:54:26 -0800, Suzanne DeAngelillis wrote:
    >> Which freeware compression/decompression utility unpacks
    >> large (> 1Gb) *.daa files on Windows XP?

    > In an attempt at moving us forward in the freeware world, does this method
    > below, which uses 100% freeware, look like it will convert (large) DAA
    > files to DVD on WinXP?
    >
    > On WinXP:
    > 1] Obtain bootable Knoppix (linux) freeware disk
    > 2] Obtain PowerISO Linux freeware DAA2ISO converter & put on a FAT32 disk
    > http://www.poweriso.com/poweriso-1.1.tar.gz
    > 3] Put the two large DAA files on a FAT32 disk
    > file1.daa & file2.daa
    > -----
    > On Knoppix:
    > a] Boot to Knoppix
    > b] Extract the tar.gz PowerISO freeware DAA to ISO utility
    > c] Run :inux PowerISO freeware on the 2 DAA files to create an ISO image
    > -----
    > On WinXP:
    > A] Boot to Windows XP
    > B] Use IZArc freeware to convert the ISO image to DVD data
    > C] Use ImgBurn freeware to burn the DVD data to DVD disc
    >
    > Does this freeware approach look like it will work?
    > Are there any simpler methods (I don't have Knoppix yet)?
    >
    > If you're a freeware compression expert, please reply with advice,
    > Thank you,
    > Suzanne

    Since it's all free... why don't you try it and report back?

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  7. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    For got to add a link here: http://filext.com/file-extension/DAA

    >Anoher Linux app that claims it can handle the format is AcetoneISO
    >http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...SO-16724.shtml

    and here, info:
    http://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/09/07/...-need-to-know/

    --
    All the best,
    Bjorn S.

  8. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:14:17 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> Does this freeware approach look like it will work?
    >> Are there any simpler methods (I don't have Knoppix yet)?

    > Since it's all free... why don't you try it and report back?

    Hi Jerry,
    As I said previously (see included lines above), I'm asking if there is a
    simpler method than the one I came up with on my own.

    I don't presume to know more than you freeware & compression experts so
    it's highly unlikely the method I came up with off the top of my head will
    be better than what others who are experts can come up with.

    That's why I googled first (and didn't find any answers).
    Then I asked (you and Bjorn, so far, came through for me).

    Now we've refined the question to see if the method I came up with is the
    best there is (I seriously doubt it) ...

    Anyone have a better suggestion for unpacking *.daa files to DVD on Windows
    using 100% legit freeware?

  9. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    Suzanne DeAngelillis writes:

    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:14:17 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >>> Does this freeware approach look like it will work?
    >>> Are there any simpler methods (I don't have Knoppix yet)?

    >> Since it's all free... why don't you try it and report back?

    > Hi Jerry,
    > As I said previously (see included lines above), I'm asking if there is a
    > simpler method than the one I came up with on my own.
    >
    > I don't presume to know more than you freeware & compression experts so
    > it's highly unlikely the method I came up with off the top of my head will
    > be better than what others who are experts can come up with.
    >
    > That's why I googled first (and didn't find any answers).
    > Then I asked (you and Bjorn, so far, came through for me).
    >
    > Now we've refined the question to see if the method I came up with is the
    > best there is (I seriously doubt it) ...
    >
    > Anyone have a better suggestion for unpacking *.daa files to DVD on Windows
    > using 100% legit freeware?

    Jerry hasn't a clue. Hence his "try it all and report back". Really do
    not ask technical questions in COLA.

  10. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    "Suzanne DeAngelillis" wrote in message
    news:wsAbj.84995$YL5.73551@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net...
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:14:17 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >>> Does this freeware approach look like it will work?
    >>> Are there any simpler methods (I don't have Knoppix yet)?

    >> Since it's all free... why don't you try it and report back?

    > Hi Jerry,
    > As I said previously (see included lines above), I'm asking if there is a
    > simpler method than the one I came up with on my own.
    >
    > I don't presume to know more than you freeware & compression experts so
    > it's highly unlikely the method I came up with off the top of my head will
    > be better than what others who are experts can come up with.
    >
    > That's why I googled first (and didn't find any answers).
    > Then I asked (you and Bjorn, so far, came through for me).
    >
    > Now we've refined the question to see if the method I came up with is the
    > best there is (I seriously doubt it) ...
    >
    > Anyone have a better suggestion for unpacking *.daa files to DVD on
    > Windows
    > using 100% legit freeware?

    Why don't you do it in a Virtual machine?

    Get VMware player + SuSE VM or whatever install Acetone unpack copy to
    Windows

  11. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    wrote:

    >Do you know of any freeware windows DAA converters for large torrent
    >downloaded files?
    >
    >I think I've run into a tough freeware question for freeware
    >compression-format experts. At least it's a tough one for me. LOL
    >
    >After googling, I still can't find a single freeware windows DAA converter
    >for two recently downloaded *large* DVD .DAA files (1 GB each). Drat.
    >
    >The most-common daa decompression solution I found googling was "PowerISO"
    >which isn't freeware and whose trialware is file-size limited so PowerISO
    >wouldn't decompress my two 1GB daa files on Windows XP when I tried.

    daa2iso
    http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.htm

    Jim

  12. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    * Suzanne DeAngelillis fired off this tart reply:

    > Do you know of any freeware windows DAA converters for large torrent
    > downloaded files?
    >
    > I think I've run into a tough freeware question for freeware
    > compression-format experts. At least it's a tough one for me. LOL
    >
    > After googling, I still can't find a single freeware windows DAA converter
    > for two recently downloaded *large* DVD .DAA files (1 GB each). Drat.
    >
    > The most-common daa decompression solution I found googling was "PowerISO"
    > which isn't freeware and whose trialware is file-size limited so PowerISO
    > wouldn't decompress my two 1GB daa files on Windows XP when I tried.
    >
    > If I had Linux, I could use Acetone freeware, which isn't file-size
    > limited, but I'm not on Linux so Acetone won't work. At least not directly.
    >
    > Maybe there is a Knoppix freeware trick? Can you suggest how I could run
    > Knoppix, then run Acetone off of the Windows disk, then uncompress the 2
    > large DAA files on the Windows disk? Would that work?
    >
    > I realize this is a tough question only suitable for compression freeware
    > experts. That's why I ask.
    >
    > Which freeware compression/decompression utility unpacks large (> 1Gb)
    > *.daa files on Windows XP?

    Why did you happen to pick this newsgroup to crosspost too?

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:18:10 +0100, Bjorn S. wrote:
    > http://filext.com/file-extension/DAA
    > http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...SO-16724.shtml
    > http://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/09/07/...u-need-to-know

    Hi Bjorn S.,

    I thank you very much for the URLs. I had never heard of the DAA format
    until now. Up until now, I've been able to do everything I've ever needed
    to do simply by googling and following a tutorial or two or five.

    This DAA format came out of the blue for me. I was very surprised to not
    see a freeware solution on windows, as there is nothing I can't do with
    windows freeware (yet) that I've needed to do.

    That's why I said this was a "tough question". I know the answer is out
    there - I just don't find it in my googling searches. This is the first
    question I've ever asked of the usenet newsgroups - so I very much
    appreciate your additional help.

    When one is trying to solve a problem that is tough, the newsgroups always
    come to the rescue. I had previously read some of your links but not all.

    I see John Stubbings has suggested "VMware player + SuSE VM" so I will
    research if they are freeware alternatives that might work to "emulate"
    Linux in a quick and efficient one-time manner sufficient to convert the
    two DAA files to ISO (and then on Windows to DVD).

    Next time, I'll shy clear of DAA files but I'm sure the answer is known to
    someone - that's why I ask how to convert DAA to ISO on Windows using
    freeware.

    Suzanne

  14. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:57:08 +1100, JimS wrote:
    > daa2iso
    > http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.

    Hi Jim,

    Now *that* is the kind of expert tough-question help I was looking for!

    I *knew* (in my heart) the answer was there for an all-windows freeware
    solution for converting large DAA files to NTSC DVD - I just couldn't find
    the solution. If this works, it's only fair that I "give back" to the
    USENET with a solution that didn't exist prior (at least not in the USENET
    newsgroups).

    Incorporating the best of the ideas posted so far for a
    Windows-freeware-based solution to the DAA dilemma, here is my writeup so
    far (as requested by Jerry McBride). I have not *tested* this yet; I have
    just formulated the hypothesis and document it here for others to critique
    for all of us to benefit. Then I'll try it out on my two 1GB DAA files on
    Windows XP SP2.

    Suzanne DeAngelillis

    PROBLEM STATEMENT:
    User is trying to convert 2 large (1GB) direct-access-archive (i.e., DAA)
    files to an ISO image (and then to the standard NTSC DVD format) using 100%
    freeware on Windows XP.

    PROBLEM IDENTIFICATION:
    Direct access archive files (i.e., DAA), are in a proprietary compression
    format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Access_Archive) uniquely
    identified in Windows HexEdit freeware as starting with the hex characters
    “44 41 41 00 00 00 00 00″ (http://filext.com/file-extension/DAA).

    POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
    1. The “direct” approach is PowerISO on Windows; but that is
    freeware-limited to 300 Mbytes
    (http://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/09/07/...u-need-to-know).

    PowerISO also works on Linux, by the way. The Linux-based daa2iso converter
    is not file-size limited and can be obtained at
    http://www.poweriso.com/poweriso-1.1.tar.gz

    Here is an excellent step-by-step June 2007 PowerISO on Linux tutorial:
    http://www.articlealley.com/article_170967_11.html

    2. As stated prior, the “alternative” approach is to use AcetoneISO
    (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...SO-16724.shtml)
    which is only available on Linux (bummer).

    3. Alternatively, on Windows, one could boot to a Knoppix (i.e., Linux
    all-you-can-eat freeware) disc (http://www.knoppix.net) and then utilize
    the Linux AcetoneISO non-size-limited utility on a common Windows:Linux
    FAT32 mounted partition. But that’s a lot of work to just convert two files
    from DAA to ISO and then (via IZArc compression freeware) to DVD
    (http://www.izarc.org/) and then via ImgBurn freeware to a playable DVD
    disc (http://www.imgburn.com).

    4. A fourth approach, not easily located by googling, might be to use the
    freeware Windows daa2iso conversion utility by Luigi Auriemma, kindly
    supplied at http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.htm as suggested by Jim S.

    I'll try that fourth approach out and report back to the newsgroups as
    suggested.

    Any other ideas from the experts?

  15. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    > Are there any simpler methods (I don't have Knoppix yet)?

    We found a simpler method!

    As far as I know, below is the only freeware tutorial on the Internet which
    shows how to convert DAA archives to DVD when the original DAA files are
    larger than 300 kb (even Wikipedia is wrong on this topic).

    QUESTION (previously not answered on the Internet as far as we can tell):
    How do I convert large DAA files to DVD on Windows using freeware?

    ANSWER (thanks mostly to Bjorn S., Jim S., & Luigi Auriemma):
    0. Download Luigi Auriemma's Windows freeware daa-conversion utility:
    http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.htm

    This contains a zip file with source code & a Windows binary:
    http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz/daa2iso.zip

    1. Point Luigi's dvd2iso to the *first* file in your DAA archive:
    c:\> daa2iso filename.part01.daa output.iso

    This will convert single or multi-part DAA files to a single ISO.
    A single output.iso file image will be the result.

    2. You can burn that ISO image to DVD using Windows ImgBurn freeware:
    http://www.imgburn.com

    This will get you a playable DVD.

    3. Or you can unpack that ISO image using Windows IZArc freeware:
    http://www.izarc.org

    This will result in the original files that were in the DAA archive.

    ALTERNATE SOFTWARE (not necessarily freeware nor Windows):
    PowerISO (not freeware, especially for large DAA files):
    http://www.poweriso.com/poweriso-1.1.tar.gz
    AcetoneISO (this is freeware, just not windows, works only on Linux):
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...SO-16724.shtml

    REFERENCES (none of which currently outline the simple solution above):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Access_Archive
    http://filext.com/file-extension/DAA
    http://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/09/07/...u-need-to-know
    http://www.articlealley.com/article_170967_11.html
    http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.htm

    Any other references we should add?

  16. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters for WinXP?

    Suzanne DeAngelillis wrote in
    :

    >We found a simpler method!

    And thank you for sharing your findings!
    --
    All the best
    Bjorn S.

  17. Re: Tough question for alt.comp.freeware: Freeware DAA converters forWinXP?

    > QUESTION (previously not answered on the Internet as far as we can tell):
    > How do I convert large DAA files to DVD on Windows using freeware?
    >
    > ANSWER (thanks mostly to Bjorn S., Jim S., & Luigi Auriemma):
    > 0. Download Luigi Auriemma's Windows freeware daa-conversion utility:
    > * *http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.htm
    >
    > * *This contains a zip file with source code & a Windows binary:
    > * *http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz/daa2iso.zip
    >
    > 1. Point Luigi's dvd2iso to the *first* file in your DAA archive:
    > * *c:\> daa2iso filename.part01.daa output.iso
    >
    > * *This will convert single or multi-part DAA files to a single ISO.
    > * *A single output.iso file image will be the result.

    1. Point Luigi's dvd2iso to the *first* file in your DAA archive:
    ->
    1. Point Luigi's daa2iso to the *first* file in your DAA archive:

+ Reply to Thread