longest without a reboot - Linux

This is a discussion on longest without a reboot - Linux ; what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a reboot? A friend of mine went over a year...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

  1. longest without a reboot

    what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    reboot?

    A friend of mine went over a year

  2. Re: longest without a reboot

    allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    > what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    > reboot?

    A day or so.

  3. Re: longest without a reboot

    allen.darrin@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    > what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    > reboot?

    > A friend of mine went over a year

    I've had a year's uptime before now, I think.
    It's rare though cos I tend to shutdown when I'm away from the house for
    more than a couple of days.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: longest without a reboot

    DFS did eloquently scribble:
    > allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    >> what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    >> reboot?

    > A day or so.

    That's doofus for you.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  5. Re: longest without a reboot

    wrote in message
    > what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    > reboot?
    >
    > A friend of mine went over a year

    On most linux installs "X" (the gui) locks up very frequently because of
    poor driver support with modern video cards. Now people will argue that
    linux is still alive and running and all I need to do is to telnet or ssh
    in from another machine and I can restart X. Great except that I don't have
    another machine to do this with. The fact is that if the mouse, keyboard
    and screen are frozen solid then for all practical purposes, the OS is
    locked up solid and needs a hard reset. Just hope the filesystem survives
    the hard reboot without corrupting itself.

  6. Re: longest without a reboot

    Antonio Murphy did eloquently scribble:

    > wrote in message
    >> what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    >> reboot?
    >>
    >> A friend of mine went over a year

    > On most linux installs "X" (the gui) locks up very frequently because of
    > poor driver support with modern video cards. Now people will argue that
    > linux is still alive and running and all I need to do is to telnet or ssh
    > in from another machine and I can restart X.

    Not even that. The kernel intercepts some keyboard combinations and acts on
    them no-matter what state the machine's in (apart from the most severe
    complete hardware lockup).

    alt-magic sysrq
    You can kill the process on the current tty, which means, totally kill X
    with extreme prejudice and then recover. Or even kill all active processes
    apart from init. (then recover from that later whilst maintaining your
    uptime)

    Of course, it can also be used to SAFELY shutdown or reboot by forcing a
    disk sync and remount before doing so.

    Great except that I don't have
    > another machine to do this with. The fact is that if the mouse, keyboard
    > and screen are frozen solid then for all practical purposes, the OS is
    > locked up solid and needs a hard reset. Just hope the filesystem survives
    > the hard reboot without corrupting itself.

  7. Re: longest without a reboot

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > DFS did eloquently scribble:
    >> allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    >>> reboot?

    >> A day or so.

    > That's doofus for you.

    That's as long as I can stand the stench.

  8. Re: longest without a reboot

    "DFS" wrote in news:ON9bj.23307$Mu4.794
    @bignews7.bellsouth.net:

    > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >> DFS did eloquently scribble:

    >>> A day or so.

    >> That's doofus for you.

    > That's as long as I can stand the stench.

    doofus I think you like the stench.
    Otherwise there is no reason for you to come here.

  9. Re: longest without a reboot

    Antonio Murphy wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    >> reboot?
    >>
    >> A friend of mine went over a year

    > On most linux installs "X" (the gui) locks up very frequently because of
    > poor driver support with modern video cards. Now people will argue that
    > linux is still alive and running and all I need to do is to telnet or ssh
    > in from another machine and I can restart X. Great except that I don't
    > have another machine to do this with. The fact is that if the mouse,
    > keyboard and screen are frozen solid then for all practical purposes, the
    > OS is locked up solid and needs a hard reset. Just hope the filesystem
    > survives the hard reboot without corrupting itself.

    I have found recent NVidia drivers (last 6 months) do not have this problem.
    --
    Stephen Fairchild

  10. Re: longest without a reboot

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:10:51 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >> DFS did eloquently scribble:

    >>> A day or so.

    >> That's doofus for you.

    > That's as long as I can stand the stench.

    You are SUCH an asshole.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: longest without a reboot

    allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:

    > what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    > reboot?
    >
    > A friend of mine went over a year

    My desktops usually get rebooted daily, because of noise, power savings, and
    wear -- although some of my users sometimes have 'em running for weeks on
    end; the only reported stability problems had to do with X sometimes
    choking on a game or so, and a crappy wireless card with crappy Windows
    drivers.

    Servers under my control get rebooted on average once a year, because that's
    how often the mains power fails over here. Apart from this, I've only had
    Linux servers failing because of hardware trouble (bad disks, fans, and
    mainboard capacitors, and one case of lightning damage). The longest uptime
    I recall was some 450 days or so, after which a kernel update forced a
    reboot.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  12. Re: longest without a reboot

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    >> reboot?
    >>
    >> A friend of mine went over a year

    > My desktops usually get rebooted daily, because of noise, power savings, and
    > wear -- although some of my users sometimes have 'em running for weeks on
    > end; the only reported stability problems had to do with X sometimes
    > choking on a game or so, and a crappy wireless card with crappy Windows
    > drivers.

    What game or so? As for the crappy wireless card with crappy Windows
    drivers, why not load the excellent Linux drivers?

    > Servers under my control get rebooted on average once a year, because
    > that's

    I would bet you are a liar. A word constantly thrown around here by the
    "advocates" I notice. I thought it would be nice to throw it back. You
    just pulled that number our of your arse. Any server room worth its salt
    has back up power and smoothers/regulators/UPSs to stop that kind of reboot
    being necessary.

    > how often the mains power fails over here. Apart from this, I've only had
    > Linux servers failing because of hardware trouble (bad disks, fans, and
    > mainboard capacitors, and one case of lightning damage). The longest uptime
    > I recall was some 450 days or so, after which a kernel update forced a
    > reboot.
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    I am interested - when you sell your services to companies using
    Windows, do you insult them and laugh at them like you do behind their
    backs here?

    --
    Endless Loop, n.:
    see Loop, Endless.

  13. Re: longest without a reboot

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 06:22:10 -0800, allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:

    > what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    > reboot?
    >
    > A friend of mine went over a year

    A couple of months. It's hard for me to go much longer without doing some
    hardware tinkering.

  14. Re: longest without a reboot

    * Antonio Murphy fired off this tart reply:

    Antonio, you are-a full-a da ****!

    You Lentini muthah-da-****ah!

    > Now people will argue that
    > linux is still alive and running and all I need to do is to telnet or ssh
    > in from another machine and I can restart X. Great except that I don't have
    > another machine to do this with. The fact is that if the mouse, keyboard
    > and screen are frozen solid then for all practical purposes, the OS is
    > locked up solid and needs a hard reset. Just hope the filesystem survives
    > the hard reboot without corrupting itself.

    Antonio, why-a you make-a uppa diss ****!

    Nobody believe-a da bull****! Maricon! Fa sito, ostia, you crazy
    half-breed!

  15. Re: longest without a reboot

    ____/ allen.darrin@gmail.com on Saturday 22 December 2007 14:22 : \____

    > what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    > reboot?
    >
    > A friend of mine went over a year

    Over half a year on two of my desktops. A colleague shut one of them down,
    thinking that he was 'helping'.

    Unless you install new hardware or make no use of wake-on-LAN (and the likes of
    it, which save energy), there's never a reason to reboot really.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"

  16. Re: longest without a reboot

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    >>> reboot?
    >>>
    >>> A friend of mine went over a year

    >> My desktops usually get rebooted daily, because of noise, power savings,
    >> and wear -- although some of my users sometimes have 'em running for
    >> weeks on end; the only reported stability problems had to do with X
    >> sometimes choking on a game or so, and a crappy wireless card with crappy
    >> Windows drivers.

    > What game or so?

    Nexiuz comes to mind -- at least in combination with some Intel-based
    graphics cards. And oh, on at least one laptop I found that closing and
    subsequently opening the lid caused the screen resolution to switch to some
    weird mode. Last I heard, that one's fixed after the latest update.
    These problems are few and far between, and get even more rare every year.
    Most of my ~100 users have no stability problems.

    > As for the crappy wireless card with crappy Windows drivers, why not load
    > the excellent Linux drivers?

    Ah, if only the manufacturers of wireless hardware could be bothered to a)
    supply Linux drivers, or, failing that, b) supply stable Windows drivers(*)
    which can be used with ndiswrapper, or, failing that, c) supply sufficient
    data on their chipsets for the OSS community to create proper Linux
    drivers. But alas, the only thing provided are Windows drivers which
    sometimes even have issues when used under Windows -- in particular with
    the cheaper products.

    >> Servers under my control get rebooted on average once a year, because
    >> that's

    > I would bet you are a liar. A word constantly thrown around here by the
    > "advocates" I notice. I thought it would be nice to throw it back. You
    > just pulled that number our of your arse. Any server room worth its salt
    > has back up power and smoothers/regulators/UPSs to stop that kind of
    > reboot being necessary.

    I have no server room. I manage a dozen simple server boxes for groups of
    6 - 15 users (mostly non-commercial), spread all over town. These machines
    usually feature Internet connectivity (firewall/router) and several minor
    servers (DHCP, caching nameserver, NTP server, file server, backup server
    and sometimes Web server).
    In most cases UPS for those servers is useless, because in case of a power
    outage all normal PC's, switches and Internet connections hooked up to it
    are down as well.

    >> how often the mains power fails over here. Apart from this, I've only had
    >> Linux servers failing because of hardware trouble (bad disks, fans, and
    >> mainboard capacitors, and one case of lightning damage). The longest
    >> uptime I recall was some 450 days or so, after which a kernel update
    >> forced a reboot.

    > I am interested - when you sell your services to companies using
    > Windows, do you insult them and laugh at them like you do behind their
    > backs here?

    I don't mind what they hook up behind my servers; they know I'm only paid to
    keep the servers up and running, and that any trouble with their Windows
    machines isn't my problem. For al the rest I don't insult Windows users; I
    feel sorry for them -- they're just victims of the criminal assholes who
    created Windows and foisted it onto the world.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  17. Re: longest without a reboot

    JAG CHAN wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote in news:ON9bj.23307$Mu4.794
    > @bignews7.bellsouth.net:
    >
    >> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>> DFS did eloquently scribble:

    >>> That's doofus for you.

    >> That's as long as I can stand the stench.
    >>

    > doofus I think you like the stench.
    > Otherwise there is no reason for you to come here.

    There is a reason: smack down lots of lying cola idiots.

    7: Linux is 50x faster than Windows
    Homer: Half of Europe has dumped Windows
    Roy Lying Spammer: 90% of IT pros reject Vista
    Rasker: Vista requires 10x-20x the resources of Linux
    Ballard: 70% of Dell's recent PC sales are Ubuntu

  18. Re: longest without a reboot

    In article
    <4fa41a12-51e4-4161-b18a-95352eb775b1@r60g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    "allen.darrin@gmail.com" wrote:
    > what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    > reboot?
    >
    > A friend of mine went over a year

    I find a year hard to reach. On our desktops at work, and my server at
    home, power failures are the main cause of rebooting. We get a few
    storms a year that bring high winds, and there are a zillion trees
    around here, and a lot of overhead power lines, so a couple times power
    goes for a day or so.

    On work servers that are on the internet (which are generally in a data
    center with good power, so the wind storms don't cut power), kernel
    updates get them, because (apparently unlike most "advocates" here,
    judging from other responses) we actually think it is a good idea to
    apply kernel updates that close remote exploits. :-(

    On work servers that are not on the internet, power failures keep them
    under a year usually, because the servers that aren't on the internet
    are at our offices, not the data center.

    We also sometimes do reboots if we've made major changes to the software
    configuration on a server. E.g., if you take a server that had been a
    web server, and change it to a database server, it is a good idea to do
    a reboot, to make sure that it will come back up correctly. If you have
    made a mistake that will prevent the server from coming back up
    correctly, you want to find that out then, not months later. Imagine if
    you take the server down six months later to install more RAM or a
    bigger hard disk, and it doesn't come up correctly? There's a good
    chance you'll assume that you broke it with the hardware update somehow,
    and that will direct your investigation down fruitless lines.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  19. Re: longest without a reboot

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article
    > <4fa41a12-51e4-4161-b18a-95352eb775b1@r60g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    > "allen.darrin@gmail.com" wrote:
    >> what is the longest you have had your linux system running without a
    >> reboot?
    >>
    >> A friend of mine went over a year

    > I find a year hard to reach. On our desktops at work, and my server at
    > home, power failures are the main cause of rebooting. We get a few
    > storms a year that bring high winds, and there are a zillion trees
    > around here, and a lot of overhead power lines, so a couple times power
    > goes for a day or so.

    Buy yourself an UPS... it'll do wonders for your linux uptimes. If you're
    not an aggressive kernel updater, you can find your linux boxes staying up
    for years without a reboot... NO PROBLEM...

    > On work servers that are on the internet (which are generally in a data
    > center with good power, so the wind storms don't cut power), kernel
    > updates get them, because (apparently unlike most "advocates" here,
    > judging from other responses) we actually think it is a good idea to
    > apply kernel updates that close remote exploits. :-(
    >
    > On work servers that are not on the internet, power failures keep them
    > under a year usually, because the servers that aren't on the internet
    > are at our offices, not the data center.
    >
    > We also sometimes do reboots if we've made major changes to the software
    > configuration on a server. E.g., if you take a server that had been a
    > web server, and change it to a database server, it is a good idea to do
    > a reboot, to make sure that it will come back up correctly. If you have
    > made a mistake that will prevent the server from coming back up
    > correctly, you want to find that out then, not months later. Imagine if
    > you take the server down six months later to install more RAM or a
    > bigger hard disk, and it doesn't come up correctly? There's a good
    > chance you'll assume that you broke it with the hardware update somehow,
    > and that will direct your investigation down fruitless lines.

    The point of all of this is... about the only time a linux box get's
    rebooted is for security or feature updates for the kernel. In windows
    land... reboots are REQUIRED to keep the os on an even keel. That's a BIG
    difference.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  20. Re: longest without a reboot

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:11:57 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    >{snip}

    > How do you help people dump windows? Seriously.

    Hadron? Don't be an idiot. Reformat their hard drives, load Linux
    distro of choice, and spend maybe a whole 15 minutes showing them how to
    use it. That's twice as long as it took me to learn the gui side. The
    rest takes a bit longer, but, if the user is a non-tech, he/she just
    wants something that works. And Linux DOES sell to frustrated Windoze
    users, make no mistake!

    Cheers;

    Ed

    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast