Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason tostick with Windows) - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason tostick with Windows) - Linux ; * Paul Hovnanian P.E. fired off this tart reply: >> You can set up VMware so that a Ctrl-C (copy) of text in Windows can >> then be middle-click pasted into a document. > > Too many extra keystrokes. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 101 to 108 of 108

  1. Re: Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason to stick with Windows)

    * Paul Hovnanian P.E. fired off this tart reply:

    >> You can set up VMware so that a Ctrl-C (copy) of text in Windows can
    >> then be middle-click pasted into a document.

    > Too many extra keystrokes. I can just feel my carpal tunnel flaring up
    > thinking about it

    Question: Is there a way in X-Windows to move the cursor and do
    mouse-clicks entirely from the keyboard? I can set up my window manager
    to move/resize windows with keystrokes, how about the generic mousy
    stuff?

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  2. Re: Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason to stick with Windows)

    On 2008-01-06, Linonut claimed:
    > * Paul Hovnanian P.E. fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> You can set up VMware so that a Ctrl-C (copy) of text in Windows can
    >>> then be middle-click pasted into a document.

    >> Too many extra keystrokes. I can just feel my carpal tunnel flaring up
    >> thinking about it

    > Question: Is there a way in X-Windows to move the cursor and do
    > mouse-clicks entirely from the keyboard? I can set up my window manager
    > to move/resize windows with keystrokes, how about the generic mousy
    > stuff?

    Not sure about X itself. I think it's wm-dependent.

    In KDE: Alt-F12, use cursor keys, and (I just
    tried it, because I only had a very vague memory of it)

    --
    When you become dead, you join a very large organization.

  3. Re: Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason to stick with Windows)

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    >> The very idea of /you/ dissing Paul for his "lack" of PC knowledge is
    >> frickin' /laughable/.
    >>

    > Well, I'm laughing. I am sure it is some kind of joke, but his own site
    > shows what he claims is his PC:
    >
    > http://www.hovnanian.com/images/8088.jpg
    >
    > which, if it were true, would account for much of his seeming backwardness.

    Idiocy or slime? Let the reader decide.

    > I don't see what code has to do with it at all. Windows systems are
    > licensed for various levels of use, like it or not. If you don't want to
    > pay, OK, use something else, but don't complain that it is not allowed if
    > you are using Linux. If you want the benefits, you have to pay. If you
    > don't see any benefit, then you don't need to use it, and you don't need to
    > pay, but you can't then complain.

    You can /always/ complain.

    In fact, complaining is often the only way to obtain some kind of
    improvement.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  4. Re: Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason to stick with Windows)

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:PXfgj.47038$vt2.34886@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..

    > You can /always/ complain.

    But not with any legitimacy. It seem to be in the nature of the OSS fan to
    complain about the failings of commercial software, particularly where the
    software is produced by Microsoft. They do not see the benefits derived
    from using it, so they assert that there is no benefit and thus Microsoft is
    perpetrating a theft or similar crime. They are, obviously, very
    short-sighted and are fools to believe in themselves so rashly, but that is
    the way with fools and they are no different.

    They preach among themselves to bolster their mutual confidence and they
    seem to reach extreme peaks of self-assurance, but it is a false security
    and lacks any substance. They continually fail to gain any ground and so
    seek an explanation that is served by the deus ex machina of "monopoly
    power" that magically explains why their force is so ineffective. They
    never ponder on just how such an evil force can continue in such an open
    information environment, apparently fearing the true answer.

  5. Re: Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason to stick with Windows)

    Linonut writes:

    > * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:
    >

    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:PXfgj.47038$vt2.34886@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>>
    >>> You can /always/ complain.
    >>>

    >> But not with any legitimacy.

    > Of course it is legitimate.
    >
    > The customer is always right.

    But not when they buy MS right?

  6. Re: Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason to stick with Windows)

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:PXfgj.47038$vt2.34886@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>
    >> You can /always/ complain.
    >>

    > But not with any legitimacy.

    Of course it is legitimate.

    The customer is always right.

    > It seem to be in the nature of the OSS fan to
    > complain about the failings of commercial software, particularly where the
    > software is produced by Microsoft. They do not see the benefits derived
    > from using it, so they assert that there is no benefit and thus Microsoft is
    > perpetrating a theft or similar crime. They are, obviously, very
    > short-sighted and are fools to believe in themselves so rashly, but that is
    > the way with fools and they are no different.

    Bull****. There are a few people who may believe Microsoft writes no
    beneficial code, but I am not one of them, and most people are not,
    either. Nonetheless (and this has been true for a couple of decades),
    Microsoft has made many decisions that level-headed people agree are
    wrong. And, in fact, the never-ending (or so it seems) string of
    paradigm shifts at Microsoft illustrate the Microsoft itself knows that
    it has made some mistakes, and needs to retrench.

    > They preach among themselves to bolster their mutual confidence and they
    > seem to reach extreme peaks of self-assurance, but it is a false security
    > and lacks any substance. They continually fail to gain any ground and so
    > seek an explanation that is served by the deus ex machina of "monopoly
    > power" that magically explains why their force is so ineffective. They
    > never ponder on just how such an evil force can continue in such an open
    > information environment, apparently fearing the true answer.

    1. Ground /is/ being gained. Inexorably, if very slowly.

    2. Microsoft has been doing all it can to prevent the ground from
    being gained, by taking advantage of its monopoly situation.

    3. Microsoft is trying to extend the reach of its monopoly (with
    varying degrees of success) into IPTV, media, search, the business
    stack, and probably some stuff I don't even know about. Their
    acquisitions tell the tale.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  7. Re: Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason to stick with Windows)

    Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:
    >>

    >>> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>> news:PXfgj.47038$vt2.34886@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> But not with any legitimacy.

    >> Of course it is legitimate.
    >>
    >> The customer is always right.

    > But not when they buy MS right?

    I am certain you can point to those posts also, Hadron Quark, where it was
    said that people are "wrong" when they buy a windows machine.

    Come on, don't be shy
    --
    Microsoft: The company that made email dangerous
    And web browsing. And viewing pictures. And...

  8. Re: Linux takes many years, if not decades, to lern (another reason to stick with Windows)

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    >* amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:
    >

    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:PXfgj.47038$vt2.34886@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>>
    >>> You can /always/ complain.
    >>>

    >> But not with any legitimacy.

    > Of course it is legitimate.
    >
    > The customer is always right.

    A customer, sure, but the complaints here are coming from non-customers who
    are, at least in their own minds, competitors.

    >> It seem to be in the nature of the OSS fan to
    >> complain about the failings of commercial software, particularly where
    >> the
    >> software is produced by Microsoft. They do not see the benefits derived
    >> from using it, so they assert that there is no benefit and thus Microsoft
    >> is
    >> perpetrating a theft or similar crime. They are, obviously, very
    >> short-sighted and are fools to believe in themselves so rashly, but that
    >> is
    >> the way with fools and they are no different.

    > Bull****. There are a few people who may believe Microsoft writes no
    > beneficial code, but I am not one of them, and most people are not,
    > either. Nonetheless (and this has been true for a couple of decades),
    > Microsoft has made many decisions that level-headed people agree are
    > wrong. And, in fact, the never-ending (or so it seems) string of
    > paradigm shifts at Microsoft illustrate the Microsoft itself knows that
    > it has made some mistakes, and needs to retrench.

    I would rather attribute that to a constant search for product improvement
    and, as newer and better ways are discovered, Microsoft is ever ready to
    incorporate them into their Windows, office automation, and other products.
    And they are not so arrogant as to continue down a fruitless path once it
    has been shown to lead nowhere. That is a commendable trait and much of the
    key to their overwhelming successes.

    >> They preach among themselves to bolster their mutual confidence and they
    >> seem to reach extreme peaks of self-assurance, but it is a false security
    >> and lacks any substance. They continually fail to gain any ground and so
    >> seek an explanation that is served by the deus ex machina of "monopoly
    >> power" that magically explains why their force is so ineffective. They
    >> never ponder on just how such an evil force can continue in such an open
    >> information environment, apparently fearing the true answer.

    > 1. Ground /is/ being gained. Inexorably, if very slowly.

    Hard to measure and equally hard to attribute to any particular thing.
    Statistically I think Linux adoption on the desktop is still within the
    noise.

    > 2. Microsoft has been doing all it can to prevent the ground from
    > being gained, by taking advantage of its monopoly situation.

    They continually fail to gain any ground and so seek an explanation that is
    served by the deus ex machina of "monopoly power" that magically explains
    why their force is so ineffective. They never ponder on just how such an
    evil force can continue in such an open information environment, apparently
    fearing the true answer.

    > 3. Microsoft is trying to extend the reach of its monopoly (with
    > varying degrees of success) into IPTV, media, search, the business
    > stack, and probably some stuff I don't even know about. Their
    > acquisitions tell the tale.

    They are constantly seeking to enter new markets that may, some day, prove
    to be as rich as the operating system platform software and office
    automation software markets have been. Certainly that is something that you
    would want them to do rather than just stick their head in the sand. Look
    at Apple. They finally decided that they were not a big computer maker and
    went after the personal entertainment market and re-invented themselves for
    the better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6