A community approach to commercial training materials

,----[ Quote ]
| Is it possible to have training materials that are developed in partnership
| with the community, available under a CC license, AND make those same
| materials available through formal training providers? We’re trying to find
| out at Canonical with our Ubuntu Desktop Course.

Ubuntu's Free Software Laptop A No-Go?

,----[ Quote ]
| Simply put, Mark Shuttleworth has been gathering interest from the Ubuntu
| community and so far he doesn't believe there is sufficient interest to
| warrant a more detailed analysis in creating a high-end free software laptop.

New release of a Ubuntu magazine (Full Circle):

Issue 8

Gobuntu [Review]

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the good news: it all seems to be working fine. Since I was doing a
| clean install (again, see below), and because my laptop has an AMD Turion
| chip in it, I went for the 64-bit version. (Thanks to Dave Morley for taking
| the time to tell me whether the 64-bit version was worth it.) Everything
| works; no problems at all. Good work, the Gobuntu team. * *

Installing Gobuntu 7.10

,----[ Quote ]
| The installation process of Gobuntu is text mode-based, and it is quite
| painful for most users, because it will not detect modern hardware, such as
| SCSI hard drives. So unless you have an IDE hard drive, don't even bother to
| follow the next steps. *

Willing to buy a high-end, free-software-only laptop?

,----[ Quote ]
| To that end I’d like to build up a list of people who are interested in this
| idea, and would potentially buy a high-powered laptop if it were guaranteed
| to work completely with free software drivers and OpenBIOS. *

Gobuntu is… go

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to Colin and Evan’s efforts we now have daily images of a
| freedom-focused flavour of Ubuntu, “Gobuntu”.

Ubuntu's Gibbon gets free

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu's October release code-named "Gutsy Gibbon" will be available
| in a new, free flavour, its founder Mark Shuttleworth said today.
| [...]
| In an e-mail to Ubuntu developers, Shuttleworth said: "work will be done in
| collaboration with the folks behind gNewsense". gNewsense is a Linux
| distribution backed by the Free Software Foundation that removes all
| non-free material from Ubuntu.

gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

Press Release 20070122 - gNewSense 1.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| I am pleased to announce the 1.1 release of the gNewSense
| distribution and tools.

gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

GNewSense 1.0 Screenshot Walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation has announced the inaugural stable
| release of gNewSense, an Ubuntu-based distribution, modified to
| include Free Software only...

gNewSense joins list of FSF-approved distros

,----[ Quote ]
| However, gNewSense is also an important step toward its long-range
| goal of persuading manufacturers to produce computers that run
| completely free software, from the operating system and drivers
| down to the BIOS. Buoyed by both the release of gNewSense and the
| plans to use the LinuxBIOS in the One Laptop Per Child project,
| Brown says, "We believe we're getting there slowly but surely.
| We're getting to the point where maybe in 12 months we're going
| to have those computers."

From freedom to slavery; a week of two distros

,----[ Quote ]