Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting - Linux ; 48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD It's been almost nine months since we first reported on Windows Vista's inability to copy, delete and move files without stalling indefinitely, and yet the problem continues. Screenshot of Windows Vista copy ...

  1. Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD

    It's been almost nine months since we first reported on Windows
    Vista's inability to copy, delete and move files without stalling
    indefinitely, and yet the problem continues.

    Screenshot of Windows Vista copy window

    Screenshots relayed this week by two Reg readers say it better than we
    ever could. "48167 Days and 23 hours remaining," one of them reads.
    "36843 Days and 0 hours remaining," states the other. Both are Vista's
    best-faith guesses as to how long it will take to copy data from one
    location to another.

    "I have been experiencing slow copying ever since I 'upgraded' to
    Vista earlier this year, particularly from USB keys & drives," writes
    Adrian Procter. [When he] tried to create a CD with just 168Mb of
    pictures, Vista told him it would take more than 131 years to complete
    the job....

    Vista's Long Goodbye, as we've come to call this bug, is one of the
    more baffling things to come out of Redmond in recent memory.... Even
    stranger, Microsoft has yet to acknowledge the problem, other than to
    issue this hotfix, which many users say does nothing to remedy the
    bug.

    [Bug not fixed in SP1...screenshots to prove it...some report some
    improvement with SP1...]

    But even then, there's no guarantee the problem will be fixed. With
    Microsoft's buggy code and non-existent communication, we'll be
    sitting on the upgrade sidelines for the foreseeable future, thank you
    very much.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...ying_problems/

  2. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    wrote in message

    > 48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD

    That's a horrible exaggeration...
    Vista can create a cd in half that time

  3. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > 48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD
    >
    > It's been almost nine months since we first reported on Windows
    > Vista's inability to copy, delete and move files without stalling
    > indefinitely, and yet the problem continues.
    >
    > Screenshot of Windows Vista copy window
    >
    > Screenshots relayed this week by two Reg readers say it better than we
    > ever could. "48167 Days and 23 hours remaining," one of them reads.
    > "36843 Days and 0 hours remaining," states the other. Both are Vista's
    > best-faith guesses as to how long it will take to copy data from one
    > location to another.
    >
    > "I have been experiencing slow copying ever since I 'upgraded' to
    > Vista earlier this year, particularly from USB keys & drives," writes
    > Adrian Procter. [When he] tried to create a CD with just 168Mb of
    > pictures, Vista told him it would take more than 131 years to complete
    > the job....
    >
    > Vista's Long Goodbye, as we've come to call this bug, is one of the
    > more baffling things to come out of Redmond in recent memory.... Even
    > stranger, Microsoft has yet to acknowledge the problem, other than to
    > issue this hotfix, which many users say does nothing to remedy the
    > bug.
    >
    > [Bug not fixed in SP1...screenshots to prove it...some report some
    > improvement with SP1...]
    >
    > But even then, there's no guarantee the problem will be fixed. With
    > Microsoft's buggy code and non-existent communication, we'll be
    > sitting on the upgrade sidelines for the foreseeable future, thank you
    > very much.
    >

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...ying_problems/

    These are GREAT! Thanks... I can stretch them a bit and they make great
    wallpapers on my Gentoo laptop.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  4. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:

    > 48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD
    >
    > But even then, there's no guarantee the problem will be fixed. With
    > Microsoft's buggy code and non-existent communication, we'll be
    > sitting on the upgrade sidelines for the foreseeable future, thank you
    > very much.
    >

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...ying_problems/

    Monopoly slopware?

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 21 December 2007 01:31 : \____

    > * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:
    >

    >> 48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD
    >>
    >> But even then, there's no guarantee the problem will be fixed. With
    >> Microsoft's buggy code and non-existent communication, we'll be
    >> sitting on the upgrade sidelines for the foreseeable future, thank you
    >> very much.
    >>

    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...ying_problems/

    > Monopoly slopware?

    How much do 23 hours of angry CPU and GPU (for Aero) electricity cost? Probably
    more than a CD-ROM.

    Not a problem. Buy a second PC. You know, for multitasking.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
    Cpu(s): 25.7%us, 4.4%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.0%id, 3.5%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  6. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    Verily I say unto thee, that philo spake thusly:
    > wrote in message

    >> 48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD

    > That's a horrible exaggeration... Vista can create a cd in half that
    > time

    Yes but after burning it in the record time of only 66 years, you're
    then left with a disc in some weird format that no one else can read.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._. :*~*:.
    .. .
    .. "Remember, if Christmas isn't found in your heart, .
    .. you won't find it under a tree." ~ C. Carpenter .
    .. .
    .. Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year .
    .. .
    ..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._. :*~*:.

  7. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    [H]omer :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that philo spake thusly:
    >> wrote in message

    >>> 48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD

    >> That's a horrible exaggeration... Vista can create a cd in half that
    >> time

    > Yes but after burning it in the record time of only 66 years, you're
    > then left with a disc in some weird format that no one else can read.

    No problem, you'll be retired by then.

    --
    BREAK SOME LAWS

    www.websterscafe.com

  8. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    ____/ Handover Phist on Friday 21 December 2007 05:01 : \____

    > [H]omer :
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that philo spake thusly:
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> That's a horrible exaggeration... Vista can create a cd in half that
    >>> time

    >> Yes but after burning it in the record time of only 66 years, you're
    >> then left with a disc in some weird format that no one else can read.

    > No problem, you'll be retired by then.

    "So far there's no business case for digital preservation--in fact, for
    software makers like Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan."

    http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/boo...rtner=yahootix

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread

  9. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ____/ Handover Phist on Friday 21 December 2007 05:01 : \____
    >
    > > [H]omer :
    > >> Verily I say unto thee, that philo spake thusly:

    > >> Yes but after burning it in the record time of only 66 years, you're
    > >> then left with a disc in some weird format that no one else can read.

    > > No problem, you'll be retired by then.

    > "So far there's no business case for digital preservation--in fact, for
    > software makers like Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan."

    http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/boo...rtner=yahootix

    > --
    > ~~ Best of wishes

    Hmmm...
    maybe instead og backing up my data to DVD's
    I should enscribe my data onto clay tablets!

  10. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    ____/ philo on Friday 21 December 2007 11:29 : \____

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> ____/ Handover Phist on Friday 21 December 2007 05:01 : \____
    >>
    >> > [H]omer :

    >> > No problem, you'll be retired by then.

    >> "So far there's no business case for digital preservation--in fact, for
    >> software makers like Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan."

    http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/boo...rtner=yahootix

    >> --
    >> ~~ Best of wishes

    > Hmmm...
    > maybe instead og backing up my data to DVD's
    > I should enscribe my data onto clay tablets!

    DVDs? That's so yesterday. They now have 'new and improved' HD. Sooner or
    later, DVD drives will be as hard to find as videotapes and a VCR. Microsoft
    doesn't even want HD-DVD to succeed. In fact, it's claimed to be fuelling a
    formats war so that DRM (expireable) content becomes the new 'storage' media.
    OOXML in MSO07 already has encryption/DRM. So does Vista and XBox260 (VoD).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I blame God for making me an atheist"
    12:05:01 up 11 days, 53 min, 4 users, load average: 0.53, 0.95, 1.05

  11. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    wrote in message

    > 48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD
    >
    > It's been almost nine months since we first reported on Windows
    > Vista's inability to copy, delete and move files without stalling
    > indefinitely, and yet the problem continues.
    >
    > Screenshot of Windows Vista copy window

    Yet the number of people who pay for and use Vista blows the doors off of
    the number of people that use your OS even though people have desperately
    been trying to give linux away for free for over 10 years.

    Is Vista perfect and bug free? Certainly not. But for every day users it's
    a much better fit than linux will ever be.

  12. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    Verily I say unto thee, that philo spake thusly:

    > Hmmm...
    > maybe instead og backing up my data to DVD's
    > I should enscribe my data onto clay tablets!

    That'd be quicker than waiting for Vista to write them to disc, anyway.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._. :*~*:.
    .. .
    .. "Remember, if Christmas isn't found in your heart, .
    .. you won't find it under a tree." ~ C. Carpenter .
    .. .
    .. Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year .
    .. .
    ..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._. :*~*:.

  13. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    Verily I say unto thee, that Handover Phist spake thusly:
    > [H]omer :

    >> Yes but after burning it in the record time of only 66 years,
    >> you're then left with a disc in some weird format that no one else
    >> can read.

    > No problem, you'll be retired by then.

    Too late.

    Unless I somehow manage to live to 106 years old, I'll be pushing up
    daisies by then. I'll just leave instructions in my Will about what to
    do with the disc. Of course by that time, we'll all be using holographic
    smart-cards or something.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._. :*~*:.
    .. .
    .. "Remember, if Christmas isn't found in your heart, .
    .. you won't find it under a tree." ~ C. Carpenter .
    .. .
    .. Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year .
    .. .
    ..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._. :*~*:.

  14. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    "[H]omer" writes:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Handover Phist spake thusly:
    >> [H]omer :

    >>> Yes but after burning it in the record time of only 66 years,
    >>> you're then left with a disc in some weird format that no one else
    >>> can read.

    >> No problem, you'll be retired by then.

    > Too late.
    >
    > Unless I somehow manage to live to 106 years old, I'll be pushing up
    > daisies by then. I'll just leave instructions in my Will about what to
    > do with the disc. Of course by that time, we'll all be using holographic
    > smart-cards or something.

    I wouldn't worry. Some OSS crack team will have an release of some
    emulator to solve your problem regardless.

  15. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    [H]omer wrote:

    >Verily I say unto thee, that philo spake thusly:
    >
    >> Hmmm...
    >> maybe instead og backing up my data to DVD's
    >> I should enscribe my data onto clay tablets!

    >That'd be quicker than waiting for Vista to write them to disc, anyway.

    *cymbal crash*

  16. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    chrisv writes:

    > [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >>Verily I say unto thee, that philo spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Hmmm...
    >>> maybe instead og backing up my data to DVD's
    >>> I should enscribe my data onto clay tablets!

    >>That'd be quicker than waiting for Vista to write them to disc, anyway.

    > *cymbal crash*

    sound of feedback, uncomfortable coughs and tumbleweed blowing through
    the auditorium more like.

  17. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    ____/ philo on Friday 21 December 2007 15:13 : \____

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> ____/ philo on Friday 21 December 2007 11:29 : \____
    >>

    >> > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > that

    > read.

    http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/boo...rtner=yahootix

    >> > Hmmm...
    >> > maybe instead og backing up my data to DVD's
    >> > I should enscribe my data onto clay tablets!

    >> DVDs? That's so yesterday. They now have 'new and improved' HD. Sooner or
    >> later, DVD drives will be as hard to find as videotapes and a VCR.

    > Microsoft
    >> doesn't even want HD-DVD to succeed. In fact, it's claimed to be fuelling

    >> formats war so that DRM (expireable) content becomes the new 'storage'

    > media.
    >> OOXML in MSO07 already has encryption/DRM. So does Vista and XBox260

    > (VoD).
    >>

    > That's true...HD's are so cheap now that one can do backups to several of
    > them.
    > I have most of my stuff backed up on two seperate drives *and* DVD's.

    If it's not scripted (media sometimes needs physical insertion/ejection), then
    high-capacity external hard-drives might be a good alternative (I have two
    externals and two internals in different sites, but a lot of my data is online
    anyway).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
    Swap: 1510068k total, 117332k used, 1392736k free, 166836k cached

  18. Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu

    wrote
    on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:30:51 -0800 (PST)
    :

    > 48167 Days and 23 hours to create CD

    This equals 4161711600 seconds. Close enough to 2^32
    (it's off by 133255696) to make me wonder how they're
    estimating this.

    I know Microsoft overfloweth with ... something ... but
    this is ridiculous.

    > It's been almost nine months since we first reported on Windows
    > Vista's inability to copy, delete and move files without stalling
    > indefinitely, and yet the problem continues.
    >
    > Screenshot of Windows Vista copy window
    >
    > Screenshots relayed this week by two Reg readers say it better than we
    > ever could. "48167 Days and 23 hours remaining," one of them reads.
    > "36843 Days and 0 hours remaining," states the other. Both are Vista's
    > best-faith guesses as to how long it will take to copy data from one
    > location to another.

    [snip for brevity]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.