[News] More on the Bicycle-powered Linux Supercomputers - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] More on the Bicycle-powered Linux Supercomputers - Linux ; MIT students power supercomputer with bicycles ,----[ Quote ] | They powered a SiCortex SC648 supercomputer with a Linux cluster of 648 CPUs | and almost 1TB of main memory in a single cabinet. The system is low-powered | and ...

  1. [News] More on the Bicycle-powered Linux Supercomputers

    MIT students power supercomputer with bicycles

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They powered a SiCortex SC648 supercomputer with a Linux cluster of 648 CPUs
    | and almost 1TB of main memory in a single cabinet. The system is low-powered
    | and draws 1,200 watts without needing special power supplies or cooling.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news
    http://tinyurl.com/2we49g

    Related:

    Linux Super Computer - Powered By Bicycles

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | SiCortex, the first company to engineer a Linux cluster from the silicon up,
    | showed of the energy efficiency that can be achieved in high performance
    | computing. *
    `----

    http://www.gadgettastic.com/2007/09/...d-by-bicycles/

    Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
    | (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
    | systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...upercomputers/
    http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

    Top 500 Supers: Moore's Law Is Alive and Well

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are two Windows-based clusters, and 42 machines that run a mix
    | of operating systems--and one of those operating systems in the mix is
    | always a Linux and the other is a variant of Unix. If you want to be
    | fair, Linux is represented on 86 percent of the machines...
    `----

    http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb071007-story02.html

  2. Re: [News] More on the Bicycle-powered Linux Supercomputers

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > MIT students power supercomputer with bicycles
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| They powered a SiCortex SC648 supercomputer with a Linux cluster of 648 CPUs
    >| and almost 1TB of main memory in a single cabinet. The system is low-powered
    >| and draws 1,200 watts without needing special power supplies or cooling.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news
    > http://tinyurl.com/2we49g

    Umm, that's about 2W/cpu... that's exceptional.

  3. Re: More on the Bicycle-powered Linux Supercomputers

    On Dec 19, 8:27 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
    > | (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
    > | systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
    > `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...x-in-more-than...
    http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

    It's a bit ironic. Linux runs in some of the smallest computers,
    including the OLPC, but it also runs in over 86% of the largest
    computers as well.

    That's some pretty heavy duty scalability and performance, as well as
    some outstanding reliability.

    Linux is now putting such complex tasks as weather prediction,
    economic forcasting, and even statistical political analysis into more
    and more hands, with more real-time feedback. These days we can
    measure the popularity of a candidate DURING the debates, as people
    agree or disagree with the candidate. How long before we have real-
    time polling of a million or more people during public debates?

    Microsoft has some nice media editing tools, but Linux clusters are
    widely used to generate real-time complex 3D animations ranging from
    the special effects to Titanic to Shrek to Toy Story series, to
    SpiderMan and Fantastic 4. I think they might have tried to use
    Windows for the animations in Cat-Woman with Halle Barry, but I'm not
    sure.

  4. Re: More on the Bicycle-powered Linux Supercomputers

    In article
    <69dfeea8-c8be-41df-b39c-11ef600a19b6@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    Rex Ballard wrote:
    > It's a bit ironic. Linux runs in some of the smallest computers,
    > including the OLPC, but it also runs in over 86% of the largest
    > computers as well.
    >
    > That's some pretty heavy duty scalability and performance, as well as
    > some outstanding reliability.

    Take a look at how most supercomputer architectures work. They don't
    require or depend on scalability of the main OS. Most of the
    supercomputers nowadays (including most on that list) are clusters.
    That OS doesn't need to be scalable past the number of processors that
    run on a single node. (If the main OS even runs on the nodes...some use
    a general purpose OS like Linux on a controlling node, and then a
    greatly simplified OS, maybe derived from Linux, running on the compute
    nodes).

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread