Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously? - Linux

This is a discussion on Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously? - Linux ; Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not talking about Apache. But serious business word processing, spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work. Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache. Yes ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 103

  1. Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,
    spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.
    Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.
    Yes I know Apache is a great Linux program. But let's leave that
    aside, otherwise you're conceeding that the only serious application
    in Linux is Apache. If you conceed that, I'll go away and never troll
    here again.

    Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?

    The silence is deafening.

    RL

  2. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    > talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,
    > spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.
    > Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.
    > Yes I know Apache is a great Linux program. But let's leave that
    > aside, otherwise you're conceeding that the only serious application
    > in Linux is Apache. If you conceed that, I'll go away and never troll
    > here again.
    >
    > Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?
    >
    > The silence is deafening.
    >
    > RL

    Well, no point in answering your post, isn't it?
    After all, you already came to your conclusion, before anyone could have
    actually answered

    Now why might that be?

  3. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 writes:

    > Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    > talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,
    > spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.
    > Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.
    > Yes I know Apache is a great Linux program. But let's leave that
    > aside, otherwise you're conceeding that the only serious application
    > in Linux is Apache. If you conceed that, I'll go away and never troll
    > here again.
    >
    > Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?

    It is the only platform I use for a multitude of SW development tasks -
    currently working in XML/XHTML/XSLT web solutions tied in with
    mysql. Stable, great tools and "free" in every way. It makes a super
    multimedia system now that the Nvidia drivers are stable enough and
    support HW rendering on both heads.

    Apache runs on Windows too btw. Unfortunately Apache is currently losing
    market % to MS offerings - primarily due to the industry adoption of .net
    solutions one would surmise.

    One thing I just got working (and if anyone wants to know - just ask)
    which makes my Debian set up "purrrfect" is that I have now configured a
    hotplug system to launch and delete a Multisync process whenever I plug
    in/out my Sony Eriksson mobile phone - it actually syncs the VCF files
    ... I hadn't thought it would work to be honest. But it "just
    works". Just plug in, wait for beep and unplug. Excellent. Nothing to do
    manually except the cable insert/removal. getting the same to work in
    Windows using some "try before buy" garbage was a nightmare and I never
    got it working - something called msscan crashes when I plug the USB
    cable into the phone.

    One for Linux there.

  4. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:37:54 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    > talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,
    > spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.

    My brother. Most of his friends and all of his workmates. Two friends of
    mine. And me. Not to mention loads of people in COLA, and elsewhere.

    > Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.
    > Yes I know Apache is a great Linux program. But let's leave that
    > aside, otherwise you're conceeding that the only serious application
    > in Linux is Apache. If you conceed that, I'll go away and never troll
    > here again.

    We believe you. Not.

    > Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?
    >
    > The silence is deafening.

    Actually, no, it isn't. A great many people do.

    --
    Kier

  5. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Dec 18, 1:37 pm, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?
    >
    > The silence is deafening.

    I do.

  6. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    peterwn schreef:
    > On Dec 18, 1:37 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?
    >>
    >> The silence is deafening.
    >>

    > I do.

    So do I and the silence is because nobody takes retardlopez99 any longer
    serious

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  7. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    ml2mst writes:

    > peterwn schreef:
    >> On Dec 18, 1:37 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?
    >>>
    >>> The silence is deafening.
    >>>

    >> I do.

    > So do I and the silence is because nobody takes retardlopez99 any longer
    > serious

    For true COLA fashion that insult should probably be "raytardlopez". But
    good to see you advocating at your very best Marti. Don't you have any
    German doctors to harass and name call?

  8. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On 2007-12-18, raylopez99 wrote:
    > Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    > talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,

    no
    > spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.

    no yes yes
    > Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.

  9. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:37:54 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    > talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,
    > spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.
    > Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.
    > Yes I know Apache is a great Linux program. But let's leave that
    > aside, otherwise you're conceeding that the only serious application
    > in Linux is Apache. If you conceed that, I'll go away and never troll
    > here again.
    >
    > Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?
    >
    > The silence is deafening.
    >
    > RL

    I use it fairly seriously - I used to use it quite seriously - for digital
    signal processing of coherant radar signals to do target motion resolution
    for a major DOD test facility. Is that serious enough? Actually, I did the
    scientific software support and development for that area of the post
    flight data analysis branch.

  10. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    > talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,
    > spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.
    > Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.
    > Yes I know Apache is a great Linux program. But let's leave that
    > aside, otherwise you're conceeding that the only serious application
    > in Linux is Apache. If you conceed that, I'll go away and never troll
    > here again.
    >
    > Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?
    >
    > The silence is deafening.
    >
    > RL

    Why do you get to define what "serious work" is?

    But to address the rest of your question; yes to all of the above and some
    things you didn't mention, like graphics work, multimedia content creation,
    etc.

    And FYI; Apache is not a "linux program". It's a cross-platform web server.
    --
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. - Greg LeMond

  11. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    > talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,
    > spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.
    > Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.
    > Yes I know Apache is a great Linux program. But let's leave that
    > aside, otherwise you're conceeding that the only serious application
    > in Linux is Apache. If you conceed that, I'll go away and never troll
    > here again.
    >
    > Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?

    I use Linux for all of my computing needs, both work and
    personal. I run my business on it, including using OpenOffice
    to preparing financial spreadsheets, project proposals, and
    consulting contracts. I periodical submit my resume to
    potential clients as an OpenOffice doc saved in MS Word
    compatible format and I've never had a problem with that.
    I do software development on Linux, everything from kernel
    level programming, application layer, and website development.
    I and several employees use Linux to remote manage client
    networks. I use Linux to do my on-line banking, order
    inventory, and email customers. My billing and invoices
    are all prepared on Linux systems. Even my tenant leases
    were prepared on Linux.

    Serious enough for you?

    > The silence is deafening.

    Perhaps you should wait until after you've submitted the
    post before you listen for answers. :-/

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  12. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    ray wrote:

    > I use it fairly seriously - I used to use it quite seriously - for digital
    > signal processing of coherant radar signals to do target motion resolution
    > for a major DOD test facility. Is that serious enough? Actually, I did the
    > scientific software support and development for that area of the post
    > flight data analysis branch.

    Well, as long as we are talking about specific industries and not just
    the specific tasks we worked on, I'll mention that I've used Linux to
    developed software for aerospace instrumentation, medical scanning
    equipment, embedded automotive computers, medical billing systems,
    the banking industry, digital cable television equipment, and
    recently even video game controllers.

    But really, I did all that on a lark and wouldn't really call it
    *serious* use of Linux.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  13. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Tuesday 18 Dec 2007 6:10 am, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote in
    comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    >> talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,
    >> spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.
    >> Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.
    >> Yes I know Apache is a great Linux program. But let's leave that
    >> aside, otherwise you're conceeding that the only serious application
    >> in Linux is Apache. If you conceed that, I'll go away and never troll
    >> here again.
    >>
    >> Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?

    > I use Linux for all of my computing needs, both work and
    > personal. I run my business on it, including using OpenOffice
    > to preparing financial spreadsheets, project proposals, and
    > consulting contracts. I periodical submit my resume to
    > potential clients as an OpenOffice doc saved in MS Word
    > compatible format and I've never had a problem with that.
    > I do software development on Linux, everything from kernel
    > level programming, application layer, and website development.
    > I and several employees use Linux to remote manage client
    > networks. I use Linux to do my on-line banking, order
    > inventory, and email customers. My billing and invoices
    > are all prepared on Linux systems. Even my tenant leases
    > were prepared on Linux.
    >
    > Serious enough for you?
    >
    >> The silence is deafening.

    > Perhaps you should wait until after you've submitted the
    > post before you listen for answers. :-/

    Didn't the "raylopez99" tosser post this not long ago?
    Is the idiot troll repeating itself?
    If so, it must not have read the replies it got to its feeble troll the first
    time.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3

  14. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Tuesday 18 Dec 2007 2:33 am, peterwn wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > On Dec 18, 1:37 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    >

    >> Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?
    >>
    >> The silence is deafening.
    >>

    > I do.

    So do I, I don't have any windoze PCs....nor do I *want* any.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3
    Linux systems: Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" amd64,
    Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007.

  15. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Tuesday 18 Dec 2007 12:44 am, Peter Köhlmann wrote in
    comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> Who uses Linux here, seriously? For serious work. I'm serious. Not
    >> talking about Apache. But serious business word processing,
    >> spreadsheets, databases, programming, that sort of stuff. Real work.
    >> Not hobbyware. Not casual surfing of the net. Leaving aside Apache.
    >> Yes I know Apache is a great Linux program. But let's leave that
    >> aside, otherwise you're conceeding that the only serious application
    >> in Linux is Apache. If you conceed that, I'll go away and never troll
    >> here again.
    >>
    >> Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?
    >>
    >> The silence is deafening.
    >>
    >> RL

    > Well, no point in answering your post, isn't it?
    > After all, you already came to your conclusion, before anyone could have
    > actually answered
    >
    > Now why might that be?

    This idiot troll posted something similar not long ago & got answers. Ah, here
    we are:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...265a8c851e9690

    Now the dumb**** reposts its feeble troll attempt. What a wanker.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3
    Linux systems: Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" amd64,
    Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007.

  16. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Dec 17, 4:51 pm, Hadron wrote:
    > > Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?

    > It is the only platform I use for a multitude of SW development tasks -
    > currently working in XML/XHTML/XSLT web solutions tied in with
    > mysql. Stable, great tools and "free" in every way. It makes a super
    > multimedia system now that the Nvidia drivers are stable enough and
    > support HW rendering on both heads.

    Wow! Amazing. mysql is a good SQL language though the last version I
    checked, v 4.x, did not support "stored procedures" (then again,
    neither does MSFT Access, which I'm working with now).

    > Apache runs on Windows too btw. Unfortunately Apache is currently losing
    > market % to MS offerings - primarily due to the industry adoption of .net
    > solutions one would surmise.

    Yes, the .NET API platform of drag and drop, which originally came
    from Visual Basic by MSFT, makes coding the front-end GUI ( "Forms" in
    Windows; formerly MFC library) easy--a child could do it. People like
    pretty asthetics (and that's really the only value add I see in Vista
    right now--the "glass like" Aero interface; of course that was also
    true when Windows 3.0 first came out).

    > One thing I just got working (and if anyone wants to know - just ask)
    > which makes my Debian set up "purrrfect" is that I have now configured a
    > hotplug system to launch and delete a Multisync process whenever I plug
    > in/out my Sony Eriksson mobile phone - it actually syncs the VCF files
    > .. I hadn't thought it would work to be honest. But it "just
    > works". Just plug in, wait for beep and unplug. Excellent. Nothing to do
    > manually except the cable insert/removal. getting the same to work in
    > Windows using some "try before buy" garbage was a nightmare and I never
    > got it working - something called msscan crashes when I plug the USB
    > cable into the phone.
    >
    > One for Linux there.

    Yes, you are a living testimonial to the power of Linux--and to think
    some mindless bashers here have you as a troll! LOL, shows how stupid
    hoi polloi are.

    RL

  17. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Dec 17, 4:56 pm, Kier wrote:

    > We believe you. Not.
    >
    > > Seriously, who uses Linux for *serious* work?

    > > The silence is deafening.

    > Actually, no, it isn't. A great many people do.
    >
    > --
    > Kier

    OK, your 14 year old brother who likes to run kiddie scripts of
    viruses online and some unnamed other people.

    Anybody more credible? Serious work, not hobbies.

    RL

  18. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Dec 17, 7:25 pm, ray wrote:

    > I use it fairly seriously - I used to use it quite seriously - for digital
    > signal processing of coherant radar signals to do target motion resolution
    > for a major DOD test facility. Is that serious enough? Actually, I did the
    > scientific software support and development for that area of the post
    > flight data analysis branch.

    OK, I want to clarify my question because you raise a good point.
    When I say "serious work" I'm talking about modular business oriented
    applications and not "specialized" scientific or military
    applications. Why? Because people still use FORTRAN in scientific
    legacy applications and COBOL in business mainframe applications
    somewhere that I'm sure has serious implications (probably the Social
    Security administration uses COBOL or some variant thereof).

    So your vote doesn't count Ray, unfortunately.

    Anybody else?

    RL

  19. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Dec 17, 8:50 pm, Rob Hughes wrote:

    > Why do you get to define what "serious work" is?

    Because the implicit point I'm making is that for business modular and
    scalable applications (meaning they are stand alone, not specialized
    and everybody can use them), nobody uses LInux. This is because it
    pays for everybody to adopt a single standard (.doc for text, .xls for
    spreadsheets, .ppt for slides, etc). Now that OpenOffice has come
    into being, this battle could have been won by them but they are 10
    years too late.

    So essentially my OP was a flame (as I trust you realized).

    > But to address the rest of your question; yes to all of the above and some
    > things you didn't mention, like graphics work, multimedia content creation,
    > etc.
    >
    > And FYI; Apache is not a "linux program". It's a cross-platform web server.

    I know, but I'm sure the Linux version is the most robust (guessing),
    and I'm sure that's how Linux got famous, at least that was true 10
    years ago.

    RL

  20. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Dec 17, 10:22 pm, tha...@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > ray wrote:

    > Well, as long as we are talking about specific industries and not just
    > the specific tasks we worked on, I'll mention that I've used Linux to
    > developed software for aerospace instrumentation, medical scanning
    > equipment, embedded automotive computers, medical billing systems,
    > the banking industry, digital cable television equipment, and
    > recently even video game controllers.
    >
    > But really, I did all that on a lark and wouldn't really call it
    > *serious* use of Linux.

    Well you're not credible or trying to be funny. What you mention
    would fill a career of software development, and since you post like a
    20 year old, I doubt you've done all or any of that (in your dreams
    maybe). But, again like my reply to Ray was, all of these
    applications are "specialized". For example, digital cable TV, video
    game controllers and medical scanning and possibly aerospace (the
    first three I'm sure on) are coded often in "C" language, if not
    assembly language. Does this mean "DOS" and other such primitive OSes
    are the future? No. It just means that for historic reasons most
    such hardware was programmed by assembly or C, since these languages
    are extremely platform dependent as well as performance driven, and
    many people have stuck to that convention, for better or worse. So
    again, your answer is not acceptible.

    Anybody else?

    RL

+ Reply to Thread