[News] Linux Makes You Not Stupid - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Makes You Not Stupid - Linux ; linux.conf.au: Games Linux users play ,----[ Quote ] | His first experience of Linux was, as for many others, with Red Hat. He heard | that Linux would give him the ability to actually write programs. "I ended up | ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87

  1. [News] Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    linux.conf.au: Games Linux users play

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | His first experience of Linux was, as for many others, with Red Hat. He heard
    | that Linux would give him the ability to actually write programs. "I ended up
    | installing this thing called Red Hat 5.1 on my computer in a 'massive' 300mb
    | partition."
    |
    | Precocious? That seems like an understatement. When he started high school,
    | his year eight mathematics teacher told him that there was nothing she could
    | teach him that year. She knew that he was interested in computers and gave
    | him permission to help the school network administrator while mathematics was
    | taught in the classroom.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15824/1090/

    Related:

    Windows users click on advert offering to infect PC for free

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Are Linux and Mac users just more wary, more educated in security
    | issues or less gullible?
    `----

  2. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    > Windows users click on advert offering to infect PC for free

    Drive-By Download
    Is your PC virus-free?
    Get it infected here!

    Which should be enough to stop all but the terminally dumb from
    clicking upon it, [nevertheless...] an amazing 98 percent of those
    stupid folk were running Windows.

    Sounds like irrefutable proof that Windows makes you stupid.

  3. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 18 December 2007 00:10 : \____

    >> Windows users click on advert offering to infect PC for free

    > Drive-By Download
    > Is your PC virus-free?
    > Get it infected here!
    >
    > Which should be enough to stop all but the terminally dumb from
    > clicking upon it, [nevertheless...] an amazing 98 percent of those
    > stupid folk were running Windows.
    >

    > Sounds like irrefutable proof that Windows makes you stupid.

    Person 1: "Don't touch that plate. It's hot."

    Person 2: "But I'm curious."

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, punch! Gas, gas!

  4. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    wrote in message

    >> Windows users click on advert offering to infect PC for free

    > Drive-By Download
    > Is your PC virus-free?
    > Get it infected here!
    >
    > Which should be enough to stop all but the terminally dumb from
    > clicking upon it, [nevertheless...] an amazing 98 percent of those
    > stupid folk were running Windows.
    >

    > Sounds like irrefutable proof that Windows makes you stupid.

    You ought to see all the posts in the MS groups (and sometimes elsewhere)
    about "how can I boot my PC direct to the desktop without using either a
    username or password"! AND, all the answers telling them how to do it!
    Windows doesn't just make you stupid, it makes you positively DANGEROUS!

  5. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    Gordon wrote:

    > You ought to see all the posts in the MS groups (and sometimes
    > elsewhere) about "how can I boot my PC direct to the desktop without
    > using either a username or password"! AND, all the answers telling
    > them how to do it! Windows doesn't just make you stupid, it makes you
    > positively DANGEROUS!

    Here's where you're told how to get root access to Linux:

    http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/boot.htm

  6. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> You ought to see all the posts in the MS groups (and sometimes
    >> elsewhere) about "how can I boot my PC direct to the desktop without
    >> using either a username or password"! AND, all the answers telling
    >> them how to do it! Windows doesn't just make you stupid, it makes you
    >> positively DANGEROUS!

    > Here's where you're told how to get root access to Linux:
    >
    > http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/boot.htm

    God, you're dense. Dense For Sure.

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    Linonut writes:

    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> You ought to see all the posts in the MS groups (and sometimes
    >>> elsewhere) about "how can I boot my PC direct to the desktop without
    >>> using either a username or password"! AND, all the answers telling
    >>> them how to do it! Windows doesn't just make you stupid, it makes you
    >>> positively DANGEROUS!

    >> Here's where you're told how to get root access to Linux:
    >>
    >> http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/boot.htm

    > God, you're dense. Dense For Sure.

    For the record : another reply making no relevance to the points shown
    to him. M'Lud evidence number 109034830940 in the case Common Sense
    against Liarnut.

  8. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    ____/ Gordon on Tuesday 18 December 2007 14:18 : \____

    > wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Windows users click on advert offering to infect PC for free

    >> Drive-By Download
    >> Is your PC virus-free?
    >> Get it infected here!
    >>
    >> Which should be enough to stop all but the terminally dumb from
    >> clicking upon it, [nevertheless...] an amazing 98 percent of those
    >> stupid folk were running Windows.
    >>

    >> Sounds like irrefutable proof that Windows makes you stupid.

    > You ought to see all the posts in the MS groups (and sometimes elsewhere)
    > about "how can I boot my PC direct to the desktop without using either a
    > username or password"! AND, all the answers telling them how to do it!
    > Windows doesn't just make you stupid, it makes you positively DANGEROUS!

    It's possible to do with Linux as well by the way. I doubt m/any people use
    this feature though (auto-login). For things like FTP access, the password
    needs to be re-entered every session for security reasons. At one point,
    someone described this as a problem with Linux, i.e. Linux isn't insecure
    enough (you know, like Windows).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: as good as Richard Stallman's dental higiene
    Cpu(s): 25.0%us, 4.3%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.0%id, 3.3%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  9. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> You ought to see all the posts in the MS groups (and sometimes
    >>> elsewhere) about "how can I boot my PC direct to the desktop without
    >>> using either a username or password"! AND, all the answers telling
    >>> them how to do it! Windows doesn't just make you stupid, it makes
    >>> you positively DANGEROUS!

    >> Here's where you're told how to get root access to Linux:
    >>
    >> http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/boot.htm

    > God, you're dense. Dense For Sure.

    I don't understand, WDFL: are you mocking me and saying it's fine to be
    shown how to get Linux root access without a username or password, but it's
    stupid and DANGEROUS! when someone tells you how to do it in Windows?

    One thing you can count on about cola idiots (especially
    Gordo^H^H^H^H^H^HSchmucko, sometimes Linonut): they're fairly ignorant.
    They truly believe the silly notion that Linux is secure.

    "I forgot the root password" http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/boot.htm

    "Ubuntu Forgot Username & Password"

    "How To Enable Automatic Login On Linux"
    http://www.linfo.org/automatic_login.html

    "recover Linux root password"
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-111...sageID=1943318

    "Login automatically to Ubuntu"
    http://www.inspectmygadget.com/2007/...lly-to-ubuntu/

  10. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ____/ Gordon on Tuesday 18 December 2007 14:18 : \____
    >
    >> wrote in message

    >>> Drive-By Download
    >>> Is your PC virus-free?
    >>> Get it infected here!
    >>>
    >>> Which should be enough to stop all but the terminally dumb from
    >>> clicking upon it, [nevertheless...] an amazing 98 percent of those
    >>> stupid folk were running Windows.
    >>>

    >>> Sounds like irrefutable proof that Windows makes you stupid.

    >> You ought to see all the posts in the MS groups (and sometimes elsewhere)
    >> about "how can I boot my PC direct to the desktop without using either a
    >> username or password"! AND, all the answers telling them how to do it!
    >> Windows doesn't just make you stupid, it makes you positively DANGEROUS!

    > It's possible to do with Linux as well by the way. I doubt m/any people
    > use
    > this feature though (auto-login). For things like FTP access, the password
    > needs to be re-entered every session for security reasons. At one point,
    > someone described this as a problem with Linux, i.e. Linux isn't insecure
    > enough (you know, like Windows).

    but it is actually possible to create User accounts in Windows with NO
    PASSWORD at ALL!
    AFAIK that's not possible in Linux.

  11. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    So anyway, it was like, 09:43 CET Dec 19 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Gordon was all like, "Dude,

    > but it is actually possible to create User accounts in Windows with
    > NO PASSWORD at ALL! AFAIK that's not possible in Linux.

    I think you'll find that most things are possible in Linux. Some of
    the really stupid ones generally just take alittle effort.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    10:13:11 up 23 days, 18:26, 2 users, load average: 0.84, 0.51, 0.59

  12. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Here's where you're told how to get root access to Linux:
    >>>
    >>> http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/boot.htm

    >> God, you're dense. Dense For Sure.

    > I don't understand, WDFL: are you mocking me and saying it's fine to be
    > shown how to get Linux root access without a username or password, but it's
    > stupid and DANGEROUS! when someone tells you how to do it in Windows?

    Exactly.

    > One thing you can count on about cola idiots (especially
    > Gordo^H^H^H^H^H^HSchmucko, sometimes Linonut): they're fairly ignorant.
    > They truly believe the silly notion that Linux is secure.

    It is not a silly notion.

    > "I forgot the root password" http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/boot.htm
    >
    > "Ubuntu Forgot Username & Password"
    >
    > "How To Enable Automatic Login On Linux"
    > http://www.linfo.org/automatic_login.html
    >
    > "recover Linux root password"
    > http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-111...sageID=1943318
    >
    > "Login automatically to Ubuntu"
    > http://www.inspectmygadget.com/2007/...lly-to-ubuntu/

    Give it up.

    Come back when you learn the difference between local access and remote
    access.

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > One thing you can count on about cola idiots (especially
    > Gordo^H^H^H^H^H^HSchmucko, sometimes Linonut): they're fairly ignorant.
    > They truly believe the silly notion that Linux is secure.
    >
    > "I forgot the root password" http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/boot.htm

    One more thing. Although I dinged you reflexively for, as I thought,
    bringing up the old dumb sudo arguments, I did run across something
    interesting at roughlydrafted.com, that does indicate there is a real
    problem. Not with Linux, but with Windows users. Not all of them, to
    be sure.

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/1...windows-users/

    The Unswitchables.

    I personally know of an acquaintance who is intelligent and
    technically knowledgeable, and who a few years ago told me rather
    than buying himself a new Windows PC, he had made the switch and
    bought himself a PowerMac.

    (Then follows some notes about how this user kept asking about
    "missing" Windows concepts.)

    A week later he called me in a panic, and said that his Mac was
    continually crashing ... . I tried to explain that what he had done
    is mess up the operating system, and that there was a good reason for
    not logging in as ROOT and customizing the System files. But, he
    insisted that he wanted to continue with this tinkering.

    A few weeks later he told me that he became so frustrated with not
    being able to use the Mac as he was accustomed to, that he sold it
    and bought himself a Windows PC again.

    This may sound unbelievable, but all of this really happened and I
    just shook my head and accepted it as the way some Windows users are
    and forever will be.

    Confucius say, Idiot who mess with root soon kill tree. Hell, I've done
    it.

    That being said, it does not therefore imply that Linux is as insecure
    as Windows. By any stretch.

    --
    Tux rox!

  14. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    > That being said, it does not therefore imply that Linux is as insecure
    > as Windows. By any stretch.
    >
    > --
    > Tux rox!

    My personal opinion is that if Linux is ever used widely enough that
    stupid users like those in the story start to use it, then they will
    get their systems hijacked, too. I hasten to add that I am not
    repeating the usual troll garbage that Windows has viruses only
    because of its market share. I just mean that if a user is stupid
    enough, and some are, then you can do anything. (How many steps can a
    stupid user be tricked into following? 1,2, 20? sudo -s, enter root
    password, install keylogger? We could make a graph with number of
    steps on one axis, stupidity on another... OTOH if the user is that
    stupid, he/she may not know what a root password is...)

  15. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:

    >> That being said, it does not therefore imply that Linux is as insecure
    >> as Windows. By any stretch.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tux rox!

    > My personal opinion is that if Linux is ever used widely enough that
    > stupid users like those in the story start to use it, then they will
    > get their systems hijacked, too. I hasten to add that I am not
    > repeating the usual troll garbage that Windows has viruses only
    > because of its market share. I just mean that if a user is stupid
    > enough, and some are, then you can do anything. (How many steps can a
    > stupid user be tricked into following? 1,2, 20? sudo -s, enter root
    > password, install keylogger? We could make a graph with number of
    > steps on one axis, stupidity on another... OTOH if the user is that
    > stupid, he/she may not know what a root password is...)

    That's what I have been saying for ages. One of my favorite pieces of
    misinformation is that you MUST chmod something to exec it. Wrong.

    "sh ./myscript.sh" works just as well.

    You can be sure that there are side affects appearing soon in various
    how tos and trusted scripts which nOObs will need to get their Linux
    desktop going properly.

  16. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    >>> God, you're dense. Dense For Sure.

    >> I don't understand, WDFL: are you mocking me and saying it's fine to
    >> be shown how to get Linux root access without a username or
    >> password, but it's stupid and DANGEROUS! when someone tells you how
    >> to do it in Windows?

    > Exactly.

    Now you'll explain why, right?

    >> One thing you can count on about cola idiots (especially
    >> Gordo^H^H^H^H^H^HSchmucko, sometimes Linonut): they're fairly
    >> ignorant. They truly believe the silly notion that Linux is secure.

    > It is not a silly notion.

    All 5 examples below to the contrary.

    >> "I forgot the root password"
    >> http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/boot.htm
    >>
    >> "Ubuntu Forgot Username & Password"
    >>
    >> "How To Enable Automatic Login On Linux"
    >> http://www.linfo.org/automatic_login.html
    >>
    >> "recover Linux root password"
    >> http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-111...sageID=1943318
    >>
    >> "Login automatically to Ubuntu"
    >> http://www.inspectmygadget.com/2007/...lly-to-ubuntu/

    > Give it up.

    Not until cola idiots like you and Gordo learn your place.

    > Come back when you learn the difference between local access and
    > remote access.

    Why? Gordo didn't say anything about remote access.

    Face it: DFS once again bested cola goons. Schmucko was twirling on his
    butt-plug and approaching nirvana - with you egging him on - when someone
    showed someone else how to auto-login to Windows. Then his butt-plug dried
    up and burned his ass when I showed how to do the same on Linux.

  17. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    Gordon wrote:

    > but it is actually possible to create User accounts in Windows with NO
    > PASSWORD at ALL!

    OK, but...

    > AFAIK that's not possible in Linux.

    ....I see you left yourself an out, Gordo, so this wrongheaded claim doesn't
    technically add to your AWMOW tally ("Advocate" Who's Most Often Wrong). To
    see that tally, multiply the number of posts you've made to cola by 0.99999.

    When you're done with that exercise, look into
    http://www.google.com/search?q=etc/s...mpty+passwords [1]

    Also, didja know some live Linux distros default the root password to 'root'
    when you install?!?!?!?!

    Go Linux! Go Gordon!

    [1] If you read the results of that search, and if you're a bright cola
    idiot, you'll try to argue an 'empty' password isn't the same as no
    password.

  18. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:

    >> That being said, it does not therefore imply that Linux is as insecure
    >> as Windows. By any stretch.

    > My personal opinion is that if Linux is ever used widely enough that
    > stupid users like those in the story start to use it, then they will
    > get their systems hijacked, too. I hasten to add that I am not
    > repeating the usual troll garbage that Windows has viruses only
    > because of its market share. I just mean that if a user is stupid
    > enough, and some are, then you can do anything.

    Some are. That is the key. And it's the ones who are stupid, but still
    smart enough, that are the danger.

    Most people will leave the settings as they are.

    > (How many steps can a
    > stupid user be tricked into following? 1,2, 20? sudo -s, enter root
    > password, install keylogger? We could make a graph with number of
    > steps on one axis, stupidity on another... OTOH if the user is that
    > stupid, he/she may not know what a root password is...)

    On the other hand, a user smart enough to do that would also likely be
    smart enough to know the results.

    That's the big difference between Linux and Windows. Windows started
    from the "dumbed down" perspective. Linux did not.

    That's probably part of the reason some people get too nervous to use
    Linux.

    Heck, my daughter comes home for Xmas, and says "You don't have
    wireless?" Of course we do, I just hide the SSID and turn on WPA
    encryption, here, I'll set it up for you. "No, I'm afraid I'll lose my
    school settings." Yeesh!

    --
    Tux rox!

  19. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    >>> I don't understand, WDFL: are you mocking me and saying it's fine to
    >>> be shown how to get Linux root access without a username or
    >>> password, but it's stupid and DANGEROUS! when someone tells you how
    >>> to do it in Windows?

    >> Exactly.

    > Now you'll explain why, right?

    No.

    > Face it: DFS once again bested cola goons. Schmucko was twirling on his
    > butt-plug and approaching nirvana - with you egging him on - when someone
    > showed someone else how to auto-login to Windows. Then his butt-plug dried
    > up and burned his ass when I showed how to do the same on Linux.

    We've gone through this parade before, and /you/ and /Hadron/ got
    bested.

    Why bring up the bile all over again?

    --
    Tux rox!

  20. Re: Linux Makes You Not Stupid

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Also, didja know some live Linux distros default the root password to 'root'
    > when you install?!?!?!?!
    >
    > Go Linux! Go Gordon!

    Idiot.

    --