[News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC - Linux ; The Alternative PC for the Masses ,----[ Quote ] | Everex, a longtime personal computer vendor, has unveiled its latest PC | featuring Ubuntu Linux-based open-source productivity software and | Google-based Web 2.0 applications, for a mere $191.99 `---- http://techgeeknews.com/index.php?op...=648&Itemid=63 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 253

  1. [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    The Alternative PC for the Masses

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everex, a longtime personal computer vendor, has unveiled its latest PC
    | featuring Ubuntu Linux-based open-source productivity software and
    | Google-based Web 2.0 applications, for a mere $191.99
    `----

    http://techgeeknews.com/index.php?op...=648&Itemid=63

    Is it just getting cheaper and cheaper?

    Recent:

    How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So therefore, best way to win the war of the operating systems is not to go
    | after the high end market. *
    `----

    http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=352

    Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
    | time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
    | tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
    | in users' hands. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
    | point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
    | XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
    | Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
    | no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
    | of the desktop market pie. * * *
    `----

    'Cloudbook' UMPC to Run Googleish Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everex has confirmed plans to ship a UMPC (ultra-mobile PC) with a 7-inch
    | screen, similar to competitor Asus' EEE PC. A source close to the company
    | revealed that the device—codenamed "Cloudbook"—will ship with the Google
    | Apps-oriented "gOS" Linux distribution early next year. *
    `----

    This time for sure on mobile Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Wal-Mart Linux PC, priced at $198, is sold out. Zonbu seems to be gaining
    | traction, with a notebook priced at $279.
    |
    | “You’re seeing incredibly improved device drivers. We’ve got hundreds now.
    | This is a phenomenal effort that plays to the strength of Linux, a volunteer
    | community representing millions of dollars in free development. *
    |
    | “You’re seeing more manufacturers shipping Linux desktops, PCs and laptops
    | but also mobile Internet devices from Acer, Motorola’s Razr, TiVo…there’s a
    | slew of new devices coming out.” *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1773

    A sleek introduction of $299 laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today, Asus Technology will unveil a $299 version of the Eee PC, a 2-pound
    | laptop that stores data on flash memory, not a hard drive, and runs Linux,
    | the open-source operating system, rather than Windows or the Mac OS.
    `----

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BU4QTSTAN.DTL

  2. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > The Alternative PC for the Masses
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Everex, a longtime personal computer vendor, has unveiled its latest PC
    > | featuring Ubuntu Linux-based open-source productivity software and
    > | Google-based Web 2.0 applications, for a mere $191.99
    > `----
    >
    > http://techgeeknews.com/index.php?op...=648&Itemid=63

    Sounds really good

    On this page:
    http://www.thinkgos.com/ it says that the initial batch of machines in
    Walmart sold out in 48 hours!

  3. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    ____/ Gordon on Monday 17 December 2007 12:39 : \____

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> The Alternative PC for the Masses
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Everex, a longtime personal computer vendor, has unveiled its latest PC
    >> | featuring Ubuntu Linux-based open-source productivity software and
    >> | Google-based Web 2.0 applications, for a mere $191.99
    >> `----

    http://techgeeknews.com/index.php?op...=648&Itemid=63

    > Sounds really good
    >
    > On this page:
    > http://www.thinkgos.com/ it says that the initial batch of machines in
    > Walmart sold out in 48 hours!

    They have begun selling it in more shops (same price as Wal-Mart) since then.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | No SCO code was used to generate this sig
    14:00:05 up 7 days, 2:48, 4 users, load average: 1.28, 0.73, 0.77

  4. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> The Alternative PC for the Masses
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Everex, a longtime personal computer vendor, has unveiled its
    >>> latest PC featuring Ubuntu Linux-based open-source productivity
    >>> software and Google-based Web 2.0 applications, for a mere $191.99

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://techgeeknews.com/index.php?op...=648&Itemid=63

    > Sounds really good

    Sounds like the bottom of the barrel PC it is.

    These lies are hilarious:

    > The vision behind gPC was to provide mainstream users with all their
    > favorite applications

    * huh? Mainstream users' favorite apps are from Microsoft

    > wrapped in a no-compromise,

    * that junk is nothing but compromise

    > low-cost,

    * You get what you pay for

    > consumer-friendly product.

    * Until they try to play some Windows educational software

    > We're simply giving the people what they want.

    * They're simply selling the people what they don't want: Linux systems

    > Everex enlisted the collective intelligence of users throughout the world.

    * I think they enlisted the intelligence of users like Gordon and 7 when
    they designed this POS

    > Customers love Google products, so we added them.

    * He forgot to mention that piece of junk won't run Google Earth

    > Hackers want administrative privileges, so we provided it.

    * yeah - those Everex purchasers are going to love the Linux command line
    and sudo

    > The ultimate potential of a mainstream, open-source PC is tremendous.

    * The ultimate potential of that PC is found at the bottom of a Jerry
    McBride dumpster.

    > On this page: http://www.thinkgos.com/ it says that the initial batch of
    > machines in Walmart sold out in 48 hours!

    Go Gordon! Mr. Wrong Again

  5. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:09:38 -0500, DFS wrote:

    >> Customers love Google products, so we added them.

    > * He forgot to mention that piece of junk won't run Google Earth

    Would you care to cite something to back up that assertion?

    -Thufir

  6. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Thufir wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:09:38 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >

    >>> Customers love Google products, so we added them.

    >> * He forgot to mention that piece of junk won't run Google Earth

    > Would you care to cite something to back up that assertion?
    >
    > -Thufir

    http://earth.google.com/faq.html

    But I searched elsewhere and Google Earth for Linux is available so I may be
    wrong, but it's still not clear if that junker will run it.

    http://www.calypsobahamas.com/weathe...load-earth.htm

  7. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    DFS wrote:

    > Sounds like the bottom of the barrel PC it is.
    >
    > These lies are hilarious:

    [ major snippage ... ]

    It must really kill you that Linux is getting indisputable desktop
    traction with verifiable sales at retail. I can come up with no
    other explanation for your continued pointless trash-talk.

    Bottom of the barrel, entry level, whatever you choose to call it,
    this is exactly how many of predicted Linux would open a wedge into
    the desktop market; in that market sector where hardware cost is
    reduced to the point that software cost becomes a preeminent issue.

    Thad

  8. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    On Dec 17, 8:35 am, "DFS" wrote:
    > Thufir wrote:

    > >> * He forgot to mention that piece of junk won't run Google Earth

    > > Would you care to cite something to back up that assertion?

    > > -Thufir

    > http://earth.google.com/faq.html
    >
    > But I searched elsewhere and Google Earth for Linux is available so I may be
    > wrong,

    Oh come on, I had google earth running on my machine last year.

    >but it's still not clear if that junker will run it.

    Yeah, do you think the 'junker' will run Vista Premium?

    > http://www.calypsobahamas.com/weathe...load-earth.htm

  9. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    wrote in message

    > It must really kill you that Linux is getting indisputable desktop
    > traction with verifiable sales at retail. I can come up with no
    > other explanation for your continued pointless trash-talk.
    >
    > Bottom of the barrel, entry level, whatever you choose to call it,
    > this is exactly how many of predicted Linux would open a wedge into
    > the desktop market; in that market sector where hardware cost is
    > reduced to the point that software cost becomes a preeminent issue.
    >
    > Thad

    Exactly. there are some 40% of schoolchildren (who happen to be in the
    poorest families) in the UK who do not have a computer at home and cannot
    afford the six to seven hundred pounds (approx) for a fast PC and MS Office
    software.....

    DFS again shows his "couldn't care less about anyone except B Gates"
    attitude....

  10. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:35:35 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > But I searched elsewhere and Google Earth for Linux is available so I
    > may be wrong, but it's still not clear if that junker will run it.

    ROFL. Well, if it's available for my distro:

    arrakis ~ #
    arrakis ~ # eix googleearth
    [U] x11-misc/googleearth
    Available versions: 4.2.198.2451!m
    Installed versions: 4!m(13:47:44 08/26/07)
    Homepage: http://earth.google.com/

    arrakis ~ #

    then it's almost certainly available for all "major" main-stream
    distros. Hasn't this distro gone out of its way to install various apps
    from google?

    So, will google earth work fine on the Vista version of this system,
    given that the Vista version comes with more RAM? If it does, then I
    would certainly expect that Vista could be replaced with a main-stream
    distro and google earth would work fine.

    -Thufir

  11. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Thufir wrote:

    > then it's almost certainly available for all "major" main-stream
    > distros. Hasn't this distro gone out of its way to install various apps
    > from google?
    >
    > So, will google earth work fine on the Vista version of this system,
    > given that the Vista version comes with more RAM? If it does, then I
    > would certainly expect that Vista could be replaced with a main-stream
    > distro and google earth would work fine.

    There is a googleearth package available via synaptic on Ubuntu 7.10,
    though it looks like it is actually an installer that grabs the code
    directly from google (in accordance with the license google has on
    their code).

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  12. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    * Thufir fired off this tart reply:

    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:35:35 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> But I searched elsewhere and Google Earth for Linux is available so I
    >> may be wrong, but it's still not clear if that junker will run it.

    > ROFL. Well, if it's available for my distro:
    >
    > arrakis ~ # eix googleearth
    > [U] x11-misc/googleearth
    > Available versions: 4.2.198.2451!m
    > Installed versions: 4!m(13:47:44 08/26/07)
    > Homepage: http://earth.google.com/
    >
    > then it's almost certainly available for all "major" main-stream
    > distros. Hasn't this distro gone out of its way to install various apps
    > from google?

    In the debian repository:

    googleearth-package: Creates a package so you can install google
    earth, which is completely undistributable by a third party

    libnet-google-perl: Wrapper around the Google SOAP API.

    libwww-google-calculator-perl

    google-sitemapgen

    libgoogle-perftools: C++ code performance analyzero

    opensync-plugin-google-calendar

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    > DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> Sounds like the bottom of the barrel PC it is.
    >>
    >> These lies are hilarious:

    > [ major snippage ... ]
    >
    > It must really kill you that Linux is getting indisputable desktop
    > traction with verifiable sales at retail. I can come up with no
    > other explanation for your continued pointless trash-talk.

    Oh, he has a point all right. At the zenith of his skull.

    > Bottom of the barrel, entry level, whatever you choose to call it,
    > this is exactly how many of predicted Linux would open a wedge into
    > the desktop market; in that market sector where hardware cost is
    > reduced to the point that software cost becomes a preeminent issue.

    Can $3 Windows in America be far behind?

    --
    Tux rox!

  14. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Linonut wrote:

    >Can $3 Windows in America be far behind?

    Not a chance. Micro$oft's scummy, immoral, monopolistic, global
    pricing-policies would not be legal if practiced within the US.

  15. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    On 2007-12-17, Linonut claimed:
    > * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    >> Bottom of the barrel, entry level, whatever you choose to call it,
    >> this is exactly how many of predicted Linux would open a wedge into
    >> the desktop market; in that market sector where hardware cost is
    >> reduced to the point that software cost becomes a preeminent issue.

    > Can $3 Windows in America be far behind?

    Sure. So is penny stock MSFT.

    --
    Don't you feel more like you do now than you did when you came in?

  16. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Sinister Midget

    wrote
    on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:09:34 -0600
    :
    > On 2007-12-17, Linonut claimed:
    >> * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Bottom of the barrel, entry level, whatever you choose to call it,
    >>> this is exactly how many of predicted Linux would open a wedge into
    >>> the desktop market; in that market sector where hardware cost is
    >>> reduced to the point that software cost becomes a preeminent issue.

    >> Can $3 Windows in America be far behind?

    > Sure. So is penny stock MSFT.

    Only if Microsoft is stupid enough to sell Windows for $3
    to those who can afford over $300. :-)

    Then again, they do seem to have been very very good at
    shooting themselves in the foot lately.

    What *is* the fair market value for an OS? With Linux,
    one can download a usable package for less than 10 cents,
    if not a penny, and that coin is most likely invisible
    anyway, since most people don't think in terms of cost
    during downloads, but of how long it takes.

    So even that $3 Windows is looking a bit overpriced.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
    (1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".

  17. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Linonut wrote:

    > Can $3 Windows in America be far behind?

    I can imagine them slashing the Windows OEM price in an effort to
    shore up the platform and protect Office revenue. It would be a
    delaying effort at best. They really should go truly cross
    platform with .Net and their entire app suite, but I expect they
    will put that off in favor of squeezing the last possible nickel
    out of Windows. As it is, rising popularity of desktop Linux
    will result in rising popularity of OpenOffice and other apps that
    compete directly with MS. They are making the right moves in
    regards to near term revenue, but they might just be sowing the
    seeds of long term competitive pressure.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  18. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:09:38 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> The Alternative PC for the Masses
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://techgeeknews.com/index.php?

    option=com_content&task=view&id=648&Itemid=63

    >> Sounds really good

    > Sounds like the bottom of the barrel PC it is.
    >
    > These lies are hilarious:
    >
    >> The vision behind gPC was to provide mainstream users with all their
    >> favorite applications

    > * huh? Mainstream users' favorite apps are from Microsoft

    Apparently not.

    >> wrapped in a no-compromise,

    > * that junk is nothing but compromise

    Yes, that is what MS software is.

    >> low-cost,

    > * You get what you pay for

    Not in all instances.

    >> consumer-friendly product.

    > * Until they try to play some Windows educational software

    Only would would try to use Windows software directly under Windows and
    expect it to work.

    >> We're simply giving the people what they want.

    > * They're simply selling the people what they don't want: Linux systems

    Then why are the people buying them?

    >> Everex enlisted the collective intelligence of users throughout the
    >> world.

    > * I think they enlisted the intelligence of users like Gordon and 7 when
    > they designed this POS

    There's a flaw in your premise. You don't think.

    >> Customers love Google products, so we added them.

    > * He forgot to mention that piece of junk won't run Google Earth

    1. Are you sure?
    2. So what?

    >> Hackers want administrative privileges, so we provided it.

    > * yeah - those Everex purchasers are going to love the Linux command
    > line and sudo

    They just might.

    >> The ultimate potential of a mainstream, open-source PC is tremendous.

    > * The ultimate potential of that PC is found at the bottom of a Jerry
    > McBride dumpster.

    Really? Were you looking for dates again?

    >> On this page: http://www.thinkgos.com/ it says that the initial batch
    >> of machines in Walmart sold out in 48 hours!

    > Go Gordon! Mr. Wrong Again

    They didn't sell out in 48 hours?

    --
    Rick

  19. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    bobbie wrote:

    > Yeah, do you think the 'junker' will run Vista Premium?

    Yes. One of the people that left a comment said they installed Vista.

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...754614#reviews

  20. Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> Sounds like the bottom of the barrel PC it is.
    >>
    >> These lies are hilarious:

    > [ major snippage ... ]
    >
    > It must really kill you that Linux is getting indisputable desktop
    > traction with verifiable sales at retail. I can come up with no
    > other explanation for your continued pointless trash-talk.

    Didja stop to consider I just don't like Linux/OSS software? And the lying
    "advocates" that accompany Linux are very tiresome.

    > Bottom of the barrel, entry level, whatever you choose to call it,
    > this is exactly how many of predicted Linux would open a wedge into
    > the desktop market; in that market sector where hardware cost is
    > reduced to the point that software cost becomes a preeminent issue.

    It's only preeminent if you're broke:

    * Vista Home Premium costs $50 more than Ubuntu on Dell systems
    * Office Home/Student is $125, and can be installed on 3 systems (meaning
    $14 per app per user).
    * Previous versions of Office are cheap
    * new games still cost $50 (same as I paid for Quake in 1996)
    * SQL Server Developer Edition is $45
    * Oracle and DB2 offer cheap personal and developer editions
    * Windows is the biggest OSS platform, so there's tons of free software

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast