[News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC - Linux ; Linonut writes: > * DFS fired off this tart reply: > >> Linonut wrote: >> >>> What's your big beef with it [Pan], besides that is it OSS? >> >> >> * 11 choices in the main menu? OE has ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Results 241 to 253 of 253

  1. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Linonut writes:

    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's your big beef with it [Pan], besides that is it OSS?

    >> * 11 choices in the main menu? OE has a manageable 6.
    >> * 23 items on the default toolbar? OE has a reasonable 9.

    > Poor baby!
    >
    >> * Create your own folders, then delete them - they're right back the next
    >> time you load Pan. OE deletes them permanently from your screen, of course.

    > I agree. Bad code.
    >
    >> * The menu lets you subscribe to personal folders you create. LOL! It even
    >> changes the icon. OE only lets you subscribe to newsgroups, of course.

    > I agree. Bad code.
    >
    >> * Begin composing a newsgroup message, then accidentally hit the close
    >> button - Pan doesn't warn you - just bam! Your work is gone. OE warns you
    >> before tossing out your work, of course.

    > I sort of agree. There should be a configuration item for this feature,
    > and I don't see one. However, then you'd be complaining about all the
    > options.

    So, in other words, as with me, you agree? Yet continue to harp on about
    something totally at odds with what you say and the actual thread?

    nice.

  2. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    > spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:

    >> Why don't you use your superdooper googling skills to find out what I said I
    >> was doing this year, I posted it to this newsgroup a few months ago.
    >> There is absolutely no choice BUT to use windows in the field I am working
    >> in, NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH.

    > So much for your advocacy eh?! You should draft in chrisv, mark kent and
    > 7 : I'm sure they'll get the project moved to Linux in no time at all!

    PROJECT???
    FFS, clueless as usual. Review this thread moron.
    I gave a big hint HERE what it is.

    > Looks like Degree Boy is another hypocrite.

    In what way?

    > Mind you so long as he is using OSS on Windows it's not so bad. So,
    > spikey boy, be sure to publish your code!

    What code would that be?

  3. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:

    > Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >> spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:

    >>> Why don't you use your superdooper googling skills to find out what I said I
    >>> was doing this year, I posted it to this newsgroup a few months ago.
    >>> There is absolutely no choice BUT to use windows in the field I am working
    >>> in, NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH.

    >> So much for your advocacy eh?! You should draft in chrisv, mark kent and
    >> 7 : I'm sure they'll get the project moved to Linux in no time at all!

    > PROJECT???
    > FFS, clueless as usual. Review this thread moron.
    > I gave a big hint HERE what it is.

    Potty mouth Spike! What do they teach you graduates these days eh?

    BTW, you said above we need to google. But don't let that get in the way
    of one of your girly rants.

    >> Looks like Degree Boy is another hypocrite.

    > In what way?

    Work it out.

    >> Mind you so long as he is using OSS on Windows it's not so bad. So,
    >> spikey boy, be sure to publish your code!

    > What code would that be?

    I have no idea. And no intention on googling either.

  4. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >> PROJECT???
    >> FFS, clueless as usual. Review this thread moron.
    >> I gave a big hint HERE what it is.

    > Potty mouth Spike! What do they teach you graduates these days eh?

    > BTW, you said above we need to google. But don't let that get in the way
    > of one of your girly rants.

    you know nothing, as usual.
    That's all that the rest of us need to know.

    >>> Looks like Degree Boy is another hypocrite.

    >> In what way?

    > Work it out.

    You've lost me, how I am being hypocritical and about what...

    Come on, if I'm being in the least bit a hypocrit, I can't see it.
    Most prolly because I'm not and you're just throwing the insult around
    meaninglessly. As per usual. It's your favourite insult.

    >>> Mind you so long as he is using OSS on Windows it's not so bad. So,
    >>> spikey boy, be sure to publish your code!

    >> What code would that be?

    > I have no idea. And no intention on googling either.

    Didn't think so.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  5. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:

    > Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >>> PROJECT???
    >>> FFS, clueless as usual. Review this thread moron.
    >>> I gave a big hint HERE what it is.

    >> Potty mouth Spike! What do they teach you graduates these days eh?

    >> BTW, you said above we need to google. But don't let that get in the way
    >> of one of your girly rants.

    > you know nothing, as usual.
    > That's all that the rest of us need to know.

    Erm. Nice snipping. Here:

    ,----
    `----

    No hiding.

    >>> In what way?

    >> Work it out.

    > You've lost me, how I am being hypocritical and about what...
    >
    > Come on, if I'm being in the least bit a hypocrit, I can't see it.
    > Most prolly because I'm not and you're just throwing the insult around
    > meaninglessly. As per usual. It's your favourite insult.

    Put your toys back in your cot, there's a good lad.

    >>> What code would that be?

    >> I have no idea. And no intention on googling either.

    > Didn't think so.

    Make up your mind.

  6. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    > Erm. Nice snipping. Here:

    > ,----
    > `----

    > No hiding.

    Hiding what? It was no longer relevant.
    You'd read that sentence and declined the offer. Therefore why turn the
    thread into a cascade?

    >>> Work it out.

    >> You've lost me, how I am being hypocritical and about what...
    >>
    >> Come on, if I'm being in the least bit a hypocrit, I can't see it.
    >> Most prolly because I'm not and you're just throwing the insult around
    >> meaninglessly. As per usual. It's your favourite insult.

    > Put your toys back in your cot, there's a good lad.

    Well? answer the question. In what way am I exhibiting any form of
    hypocricy?

    Who's being childish here? You for calling someone a hypocrit, needlessly
    and with no foundation... Like the 5 year old kid who threw the insult
    "Coward!" around a lot this christmas because he'd heard it as an insult
    somewhere but didn't know what it meant.

    Or me for simply asking for examples of my supposed hypocricy, which you
    again refuse to divulge?

    Caught you out again, have we? Another example of your lies (another insult
    you and doofus throw around quite freely but never admit to yourselves?)

    >>> I have no idea. And no intention on googling either.

    >> Didn't think so.

    > Make up your mind.

    I offered you the chance to google, but never expected someone so dishonest
    as you to take me up on the offer. Therefore "I didn't think so" was the
    most appropriate response to that...

    Are we even in the same BOOK, let alone on the same page, hadron?

    Do try to keep up, you're looking even more foolish than normal.
    If that'd been posted tonight we could've at least excused you for being
    pissed out of your brains on new years booze.

  7. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:

    > Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >> Erm. Nice snipping. Here:

    >> ,----
    >> `----

    >> No hiding.

    > Hiding what? It was no longer relevant.
    > You'd read that sentence and declined the offer. Therefore why turn the
    > thread into a cascade?

    Poor Spike. Have you forgotten that you specifically stated that you
    also gave away this prize information elsewhere in the thread - "big
    hint", remember?

    *snip*

  8. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    > Poor Spike. Have you forgotten that you specifically stated that you
    > also gave away this prize information elsewhere in the thread - "big
    > hint", remember?

    Yes. I know, but have you looked?

    didn't think so.

  9. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:

    > Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >> Poor Spike. Have you forgotten that you specifically stated that you
    >> also gave away this prize information elsewhere in the thread - "big
    >> hint", remember?

    > Yes. I know, but have you looked?
    >
    > didn't think so.

    And at the same time you tell people to use "google skills".

    Make up your mind.

  10. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    > You're a hypocrite. And a foul mouthed, beetle browed one at that.

    Still no explaination on where my hypocrisy lies, I see..
    Throwing an insult around is worthless without some kind of evidence to back
    it up.

    So, why am I a hypocrit? Hmmm?

  11. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > DFS did eloquently scribble:
    >> Lucky you. KNode has lost me a bunch of partly-composed messages,
    >> then I learned to hit 'Save Draft' every minute or so before the
    >> slopware crashed and disappeared.

    > Then don't use knode...
    > Duuuuuuuuuuuuuh.
    >
    >> And a bunch of others report data loss due to Linux pukeware:

    >> Data loss bug in 2.4.x Linux kernel
    >> http://www.news.com/2100-1001-976427.html

    > Someone's still using 2.4.x eh? Clue, doofy, 2.6.x has been stable
    > for years now.

    uh huh. And when I find a data loss bug in 2.6.x you'll find some weasely
    way to excuse it.

    >> Data loss as KPilot wipes out all calendar, tasks and address lists
    >> http://www.kde-forum.org/artikel/158...c-to-Palm.html

    > Never had a palm, wouldn't know.

    Another Linux hackjob that risks your data.

    >> Data loss with SCSI and ext3
    >> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/l...er/023119.html

    > oh, 2005, riiiight. I lost work 1 week ago and you're dragging up old
    > bugs from 2 years ago...

    I hear you. All Linux problems are fixed in:

    - kernel 2.6.5.minutes.ago
    - distro #32843
    - the stable release
    - the official release
    - the developer release
    - the community release
    - the next release

    > Gotcha...
    > OK then, if you want to play like that...
    > 3 years ago, windows blue screened on me just for having the audacity
    > to print... Now, playing it your way, I wouldn't even bother to
    > mention it was windows NT4.

    > But I will, just to exemplify your tactics.

    Feel free. Just a few days ago Rex Ballard posted this: "The original
    Mindcraft benchmark published in 1997, showed Linux as being about 50%
    faster than NT
    4.0."

    And cola lusers regularly bring up deficiencies in Win3.1 and Win95.

    >>> and have been for years.
    >>> Schools were far better off with the old archimedes... Now that was
    >>> a system WORTH preserving, shame it got dumped in favour of windows.

    >> Never heard of it.

    > That's because you're not interested in anything but the fluff in
    > your navel and your stock quotes.

    I heard of Linux. It also gets beaten down - severely - by Windows.

    >> I'm sure the kids would NEVER go back now that they've
    >> experienced Windows and the best educational software in the world.

    > BWAAAAAhahahahahahaha
    > GOD I hope that was sarcasm, but coming from you, I really do believe
    > you meant it with all your heart (which isn't much, admittedly)

    Why don't you bring an Archimedes system into your classroom and ask the
    kids what they want?

    Here's something to make you wet your pants:
    http://acorn.revivalteam.de/?site=Pictures

    >>> Willingly?

    >> 100% willingly.

    Leaving a job over an operating system is no big shakes. Plenty of people
    have specific criteria for their job. Fact is, you're more than willing to
    support the 'evil criminal' as long as you get to enjoy yourself while doing
    so.

    >>> You mean, quit my job and live as a hermit in a cave in the brecon
    >>> beacons rather than use their products?

    >> Why don't you find a Linux job?

    > Why don't you use your superdooper googling skills to find out what I
    > said I was doing this year, I posted it to this newsgroup a few
    > months ago.

    Not interested in reviewing your cola idiocy again. If you wanted a Linux
    job bad enough, you could find one.

    > There is absolutely no choice BUT to use windows in the field I am
    > working in, NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH.
    >
    > So get stuffed and get a ****ing clue.

    So write some Linux software and get a grip.

    > There are lots of them, and you have a
    >> computer science degree.

    > Which I have chosen to employ in a specific way.
    > With the goal of acquiring a specific career which is NOT conducive
    > to "why not get a linux job" ****wittery.

    So your job is more important to you than the MS software you're lucky
    enough to use on that job.

    >>> They have been convicted, that makes them criminal.

    >> Is it your contention that every court ruling is always 100%
    >> 'correct'?

    > IF the court ruling is overturned and the person or company is
    > cleared... Then they are no longer criminal, but as it stands, they
    > are.

    So in that case, which court ruling is correct: the conviction or the
    overturn?

    > And no, not all courts are equal, of course not, but these are two of
    > the justice systems in the world that suppodedly work properly...
    >
    > Well, one is and the american one... Tends to be a laughing stock
    > much of the time... They made a correct decision in microsoft's case at
    > first
    > and then totally ****ed it up by forgetting to actually sentence them
    > with some kind of punishment.

    Indicating they aren't the 'criminals' you cola morons whine they are.

  12. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 17:38:42 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > I got tired of researching, but you can see how much paid
    > corporate/organizational funding and development support there is in the
    > world of open source software. btw, feel free to fill in some of the
    > blanks.

    Why do you think those corporations opt for open source?

    -Thufir

  13. Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

    DFS wrote:

    > I got tired of researching, but you can see how much paid
    > corporate/organizational funding and development support there is in the
    > world of open source software. btw, feel free to fill in some of the
    > blanks.

    This is a surprising bit of OSS advocacy on your part in which you
    neatly debunk the myth that open source software is mainly written
    by talentless unpaid hacks (now who have I head saying someting like
    that... D something... DSF? FDS? ...). I particularly like how you
    pointed out several examples where volunteer projects were later
    parlayed into thriving commercial support companies (Sendmail, Inc.
    for example). Seems like a pretty good incentive to jump into open
    source development.

    A few more posts like that and we'll teach you the secret COLA
    handshake and give you your Tux Penguin Power Decoder Ring.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.