Jerry McBride The Dumpster Diver - Linux

This is a discussion on Jerry McBride The Dumpster Diver - Linux ; http://groups.google.com/group/alt.i...&output=gplain Over the years I've managed to retrieve a perfectly good Craftsman drill press, hordes of hard drives and possibly a ton or more of homeless hardware and computers... The drill press still does duty in a friends work shop ...

  1. Jerry McBride The Dumpster Diver

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.i...&output=gplain

    Over the years I've managed to retrieve a perfectly good Craftsman drill
    press, hordes of hard drives and possibly a ton or more of homeless
    hardware and computers... The drill press still does duty in a friends work
    shop and the computers are reborn as low end linux boxes...

    https://www.mixmaster.it

  2. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer George Orwell Flatcake wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation :

    Micoshaft Cut'n Paste Appologies Department

    We are very sorry one of our asstroturfers has gone astray.

    PISTIFICATION has reached new heights.
    This is what happens if you install PISTA on your laptop
    and you begin to take out your frustations on others.

    Flatcake's nym shifting and obsessions are legendary.

    We think it would help if someone sent him a blow up doll of
    Balding Moneky Boy Blammer. May be a she male version so he
    can focus from both sides?

    Moral of the story?
    If you want to avoid becoming a she male banging obsessive
    compulsive, give up PISTA now.

    You really need to try out some Linux to get out of the bind.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

    Remember they come with source code so you can modify
    to heart's content.

    Linux now adding over 1 million new users per month, while
    embedded Linux is selling one million devices per day.

  3. Re: Jerry McBride The Dumpster Diver

    George Orwell wrote:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.i...&output=gplain

    > Over the years I've managed to retrieve a perfectly good Craftsman drill
    > press, hordes of hard drives and possibly a ton or more of homeless
    > hardware and computers... The drill press still does duty in a friends
    > work shop and the computers are reborn as low end linux boxes...

    Ahhh... Thank you. I still visit the dumpsters on regular schedule.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  4. Re: Jerry McBride The Dumpster Diver

    * Jerry McBride fired off this tart reply:

    > George Orwell wrote:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.i...&output=gplain
    >>

    >> Over the years I've managed to retrieve a perfectly good Craftsman drill
    >> press, hordes of hard drives and possibly a ton or more of homeless
    >> hardware and computers... The drill press still does duty in a friends
    >> work shop and the computers are reborn as low end linux boxes...
    >>

    > Ahhh... Thank you. I still visit the dumpsters on regular schedule.

    I wonder if Bill Gates still dumpster-dives. Old habits and all that.

    Why do "Anonymous" and "George Orwell" mirror each other?

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:25:24 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Linux now adding over 1 million new users per month, while
    > embedded Linux is selling one million devices per day.

    Where did you obtain the one million new users per month figure?

  6. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    SW writes:

    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:25:24 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >

    >> Linux now adding over 1 million new users per month, while
    >> embedded Linux is selling one million devices per day.

    > Where did you obtain the one million new users per month figure?

    He thinks the PS3 uses Linux for a start.

  7. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, SW

    wrote
    on 18 Dec 2007 17:10:07 GMT
    <4767feee$0$3317$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.org>:
    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:25:24 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >

    >> Linux now adding over 1 million new users per month, while
    >> embedded Linux is selling one million devices per day.

    > Where did you obtain the one million new users per month figure?

    1M users/month would translate into about 1.2% per year,
    absent further evidence; this assumes 1 billion PC units,
    each capable of running Microsoft Windows or Linux.
    This seems unlikely.

    Meanwhile, Vista continues to grow at a rate of 20%
    per annum, according to somewhat reliable (but still
    questionable) browser statistic measurement sites.

    This growth rate is slower than Microsoft probably thinks
    it should be (equipment replacement is every 3 years,
    not 5) but is still growth.

    There are, of course, other markets; one particularly
    intriguing variant is the mobile market, where QTopia has
    already waded in with its variant of a "green phone", which
    in this case is more of an "open phone", running a variant
    of KDE. Microsoft would have to dislodge Symbian (the
    dominant OS supplier) in this space; this is admittedly
    possible but doesn't look all that likely yet.

    As for embedded Linux selling 1 million devices per *day*,
    that sounds highly unlikely. What are these devices?
    While QTopia is an interesting offering, I highly
    doubt they would realize that sort of revenue per year
    (assuming $200/phone, 1M/day translates into $73B/year)
    at the first go! Nor are there other devices that appear
    comparable, although I've not researched such as the
    microwave controller, refigerator controller, or coffee
    brewer markets.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

  8. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:25:30 +0100
    :
    > SW writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:25:24 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >>

    >>> Linux now adding over 1 million new users per month, while
    >>> embedded Linux is selling one million devices per day.

    >> Where did you obtain the one million new users per month figure?

    > He thinks the PS3 uses Linux for a start.

    PS3 can run Linux but its base OS is something entirely
    different. A PS3 per se shouldn't count as a Linux
    installation any more than a car that is capable of holding
    spinner rims be counted as a spinner rim sale -- at least,
    not until the spinners are actually mounted and paid for.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  9. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    * The Ghost In The Machine fired off this tart reply:

    > Meanwhile, Vista continues to grow at a rate of 20%
    > per annum, according to somewhat reliable (but still
    > questionable) browser statistic measurement sites.

    That's not growth.

    That's molting.

    --
    Tux rox!

  10. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    Hadron wrote:

    > SW writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:25:24 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >>

    >>> Linux now adding over 1 million new users per month, while
    >>> embedded Linux is selling one million devices per day.

    >> Where did you obtain the one million new users per month figure?

    > He thinks the PS3 uses Linux for a start.

    YES! It runs linux beautifully... and windows is nowhere to be seen... Not
    even a hope that winwoes will ever run on Cell.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  11. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:54:28 -0500
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Meanwhile, Vista continues to grow at a rate of 20%
    >> per annum, according to somewhat reliable (but still
    >> questionable) browser statistic measurement sites.

    > That's not growth.
    >
    > That's molting.

    Ding...mea culpa. You're right; this is at the expense
    of older XP installations.

    Good catch.

    Of course it's still revenue for Microsoft, which tells me
    that they've got a great racket going...and am wondering
    if anyone else might ask some interesting questions.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.

  12. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride

    wrote
    on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:53:55 -0500
    :
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> SW writes:

    >>> Where did you obtain the one million new users per month figure?

    >> He thinks the PS3 uses Linux for a start.

    > YES! It runs linux beautifully... and windows is nowhere to be seen... Not
    > even a hope that winwoes will ever run on Cell.

    It's a competitor to the highly successful XBox series. Not likely.

    Of course, one might ask whether Linux can run on the XBox or XBox360.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  13. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    Hadron wrote:

    > SW writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:25:24 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >>

    >>> Linux now adding over 1 million new users per month, while
    >>> embedded Linux is selling one million devices per day.

    >> Where did you obtain the one million new users per month figure?

    > He thinks the PS3 uses Linux for a start.

    The PS3 runs Linux beautifully...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  14. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:53:55 -0500
    > :
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> He thinks the PS3 uses Linux for a start.

    >> YES! It runs linux beautifully... and windows is nowhere to be seen...
    >> Not even a hope that winwoes will ever run on Cell.
    >>

    > It's a competitor to the highly successful XBox series. Not likely.
    >
    > Of course, one might ask whether Linux can run on the XBox or XBox360.

    It does run on the XBOX and XBOX360.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  15. Re: George Orwell The Dumpster Diver

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:54:28 -0500
    > :
    >> * The Ghost In The Machine fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> Meanwhile, Vista continues to grow at a rate of 20%
    >>> per annum, according to somewhat reliable (but still
    >>> questionable) browser statistic measurement sites.

    >> That's not growth.
    >>
    >> That's molting.
    >>

    > Ding...mea culpa. You're right; this is at the expense
    > of older XP installations.
    >
    > Good catch.
    >
    > Of course it's still revenue for Microsoft, which tells me
    > that they've got a great racket going...and am wondering
    > if anyone else might ask some interesting questions.

    The latest figures show some 88 million copies into distribution and 42
    million more to site license contracts. That's 130 million copies in 11 or
    so months. Imagine what it could be like if it were any better! Naturally
    the Windows users are replacing the old with the new, how could it be any
    other way? There are too few Linux and Macintosh computers to bother with.

+ Reply to Thread