geubuntu - Linux

This is a discussion on geubuntu - Linux ; Just been giving this new distro a spin on my laptop. For those who like eye-candy but don't go for compiz-fusion style effects, this is one to check out. Based on Ubuntu 7.10, it uses a beautifully customised Enlightenment for ...

  1. geubuntu

    Just been giving this new distro a spin on my laptop. For those who like
    eye-candy but don't go for compiz-fusion style effects, this is one to
    check out. Based on Ubuntu 7.10, it uses a beautifully
    customised Enlightenment for a windowmanager. It's even more attractive
    than Elive.

    Like Elive, however, it's a Live CD/install distro, so you can try it
    before giving it the full install. Very promising, and I hope to see it
    gain popularity soon.

    --
    Kier

  2. Re: geubuntu

    ____/ Kier on Sunday 16 December 2007 20:48 : \____

    > Just been giving this new distro a spin on my laptop. For those who like
    > eye-candy but don't go for compiz-fusion style effects, this is one to
    > check out. Based on Ubuntu 7.10, it uses a beautifully
    > customised Enlightenment for a windowmanager. It's even more attractive
    > than Elive.
    >
    > Like Elive, however, it's a Live CD/install distro, so you can try it
    > before giving it the full install. Very promising, and I hope to see it
    > gain popularity soon.

    It already has "buntu" in the name, so it'll gain popularity at the expense of
    other Enlightenment-based distros, all due to people who think that distros
    other than Ubuntu cannot be touched even with a 10-yard bargepole. :-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung

  3. Re: geubuntu

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:38:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Kier on Sunday 16 December 2007 20:48 : \____
    >
    >> Just been giving this new distro a spin on my laptop. For those who like
    >> eye-candy but don't go for compiz-fusion style effects, this is one to
    >> check out. Based on Ubuntu 7.10, it uses a beautifully
    >> customised Enlightenment for a windowmanager. It's even more attractive
    >> than Elive.
    >>
    >> Like Elive, however, it's a Live CD/install distro, so you can try it
    >> before giving it the full install. Very promising, and I hope to see it
    >> gain popularity soon.

    > It already has "buntu" in the name, so it'll gain popularity at the expense of
    > other Enlightenment-based distros, all due to people who think that distros
    > other than Ubuntu cannot be touched even with a 10-yard bargepole. :-)

    Dunno about that, myself. For one thing, Enlightenment-based distros are
    pretty few and far between - there's Elive, and a couple of others that I
    know of, that's all.

    I don't begrudge the 'buntus popularity, either. They've earned it.

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: geubuntu

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:14:34 +0000, Kier wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:38:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Kier on Sunday 16 December 2007 20:48 : \____
    >>
    >>> Just been giving this new distro a spin on my laptop. For those who
    >>> like eye-candy but don't go for compiz-fusion style effects, this is
    >>> one to check out. Based on Ubuntu 7.10, it uses a beautifully
    >>> customised Enlightenment for a windowmanager. It's even more
    >>> attractive than Elive.
    >>>
    >>> Like Elive, however, it's a Live CD/install distro, so you can try it
    >>> before giving it the full install. Very promising, and I hope to see
    >>> it gain popularity soon.

    >> It already has "buntu" in the name, so it'll gain popularity at the
    >> expense of other Enlightenment-based distros, all due to people who
    >> think that distros other than Ubuntu cannot be touched even with a
    >> 10-yard bargepole. :-)

    > Dunno about that, myself. For one thing, Enlightenment-based distros are
    > pretty few and far between - there's Elive, and a couple of others that
    > I know of, that's all.
    >
    > I don't begrudge the 'buntus popularity, either. They've earned it.

    I kind of begrudge them the hype. But then, most of it is being paid for.
    It is a shame PCLinuxOS doesn't get the same advertising, but then, it
    doesn't seem to bother the developers.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: geubuntu

    ____/ Rick on Monday 17 December 2007 01:21 : \____

    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:14:34 +0000, Kier wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:38:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Kier on Sunday 16 December 2007 20:48 : \____

    >>> It already has "buntu" in the name, so it'll gain popularity at the
    >>> expense of other Enlightenment-based distros, all due to people who
    >>> think that distros other than Ubuntu cannot be touched even with a
    >>> 10-yard bargepole. :-)

    >> Dunno about that, myself. For one thing, Enlightenment-based distros are
    >> pretty few and far between - there's Elive, and a couple of others that
    >> I know of, that's all.

    gOS is also Ubuntu-based (7.10) and uses Enlightenment.

    >> I don't begrudge the 'buntus popularity, either. They've earned it.

    > I kind of begrudge them the hype. But then, most of it is being paid for.
    > It is a shame PCLinuxOS doesn't get the same advertising, but then, it
    > doesn't seem to bother the developers.

    They are still at the top of the hill in DistroWatch. There's no company behind
    it to count and track torrents, but apparent PCLOS is extremely popular. In an
    Asian government (can't recall which one for sure at the moment), PCLOS is
    replacing Windows.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    Tasks: 116 total, 1 running, 115 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  6. Re: geubuntu

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 05:45:34 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Rick on Monday 17 December 2007 01:21 : \____

    >>> Dunno about that, myself. For one thing, Enlightenment-based distros
    >>> are pretty few and far between - there's Elive, and a couple of others
    >>> that I know of, that's all.

    > gOS is also Ubuntu-based (7.10) and uses Enlightenment.
    >
    >>> I don't begrudge the 'buntus popularity, either. They've earned it.

    >> I kind of begrudge them the hype. But then, most of it is being paid
    >> for. It is a shame PCLinuxOS doesn't get the same advertising, but
    >> then, it doesn't seem to bother the developers.

    > They are still at the top of the hill in DistroWatch. There's no company
    > behind it to count and track torrents, but apparent PCLOS is extremely
    > popular. In an Asian government (can't recall which one for sure at the
    > moment), PCLOS is replacing Windows.

    Yes, if you add all the Ubuntu derivatives together, the hits would
    probably be close to 4,000. Ubuntu and Kubuntu combined are 2621, with
    PCLOS at 2827. I think PCLOS's showing is incredibly strong for a distro
    since its popularity is based only on word of mouth.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread